Any experience? Mulder's Neuroma

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I'm meeting with my Podiatrist on Monday to discuss surgery on both feet for Mulder's Neuroma. Does anyone here have any experience with it? The research I've done online pretty much says what my Doc does, once you get to the pain level I'm at now, surgery is the only option. I've been in pain for about 7 years, but it's much, much worse now.[/SIZE]

I'm tired of my pain level dictating what I can and can't do. I'm tired of not being able to chase the kids or just go for a flipping WALK. Walking any length of time is out of the question and I'm down to 2 pairs of shoes that I can wear for longer than (literally) one minute without horrible pain. The one pair of "farm" shoes (mule type reeboks)I can handle about 10-15 minutes at best. Forget boots, dress shoes or anything else pretty much
default_no.gif

Where is your pain?

I have planter faciatis (sp). Its where you have bad pain i n your heel, like a knife stabbing you int he heel!

Apparently the tendon on the bottom of your foot tightens so you have pain.

Anyway i had a cortizone shots(worked for short time) wore arch supports in shoes, had shin splints made to wear at night ( not a good way to actually sleep) I have to wear shoes all the time or I will have pain.

Anyway I found KEEN shoes and they are the best for my problem! My feet dont hurt wearing KEENS. You dont need arch supports or anything with KEENS..

Not sure if they would help you or not but wanted to mention it..

I wear only KEENS, I have 9 pairs of them but they are that good for me...

Hope someone else has heard of what you have...

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks for your response
default_smile.png
They are similar. Mulder's Neuroma is a thickening of the nerve in the ball of the foot, between the 3rd and 4th toe bones. It's "clicks" when squeezed together, which I don't recommend as it hurts like a...well, badly. [/SIZE]

The Doc did a local on the nerve last Monday and sent me out to, and I quote, "find the most uncomfortable pair of shoes you can and beat the he$$ out of it for a few hours". I did and it didn't HURT! That was the proof for he and I and confirmed all of the other exact symptoms for the condition. Of course four days later my foot STILL hurts, even barefooted, from wearing a snug shoe for just a few hours
default_sad.png

Laura,

Ive never heard of this condition, so I can't help you out, but I know that when I have any kind of foot pain, it makes my whole body "ache" and just generally feel tired. Your feet are extremely sensitive and from what I know about acupressure/puncture, this is where a lot of nerves that affect other parts of your body are located, so if you are in pain, I am sure you don't feel well.

I hope that surgery will help you out...it sounds VERY painful!!
default_no.gif

Hi Laura

I was in the same boat as you are... I couldn't walk at all, not even down the hall at home.

I had a choice of surgery or a series of shots...nerve block.

My doctor said if the shots weren't sucessful I could still have surgery.

I had 1 shot a week for 5 weeks. I can walk again !!!!!

The doctor said he has had alot of sucess with this treatment.

Is that the same as Mortons Neuroma? I've read up on that, not sure that's what I have but I sure sympathize with anyone having foot pain. I have so many shoes I can't wear anymore. I have orthotics in my shoes which do help quite a bit, but still have to be careful about picking shoes or walking too long. Some of mine is "conformation" LOL, some is a result of being stepped on too many times.....maybe some from wearing flip flops, I don't know. No matter though, it can be miserable. Hope you find a solution to it, in the meantime know there are lots of us limping around out here...
default_wink.png

Jan

Hi Laura,

I had this surgery done in 2001 shortly after Rachel was born. I tried the cortizone shots but they did no good. I've had no pain since and the surgery wasn't bad at all. I had the option to stay awake or be put completley out and chose the latter. It was an out paitent surgery. The pain before the surgery was unreal. It felt like I had a pencil stuck in my shoe that I was walking on and the clicking and popping was horrible. With mine if I spead my toes it would pop almost like you're popping a joint out of socket. My other foot now has the same condition so I'll be having surgery on that one as well. The only side effect I have is a tingling sensation if I rub my scar. Almost the feeling you get when your foot is asleep and starts to get bloodflow back into it. If you have any detailed questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Laura,

I had this surgery done in 2001 shortly after Rachel was born. I tried the cortizone shots but they did no good. I've had no pain since and the surgery wasn't bad at all. I had the option to stay awake or be put completley out and chose the latter. It was an out paitent surgery. The pain before the surgery was unreal. It felt like I had a pencil stuck in my shoe that I was walking on and the clicking and popping was horrible. With mine if I spead my toes it would pop almost like you're popping a joint out of socket. My other foot now has the same condition so I'll be having surgery on that one as well. The only side effect I have is a tingling sensation if I rub my scar. Almost the feeling you get when your foot is asleep and starts to get bloodflow back into it. If you have any detailed questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.
[SIZE=12pt]Thanks so much. I'm planning to have both feet done and just BE done hopefully.[/SIZE]

I had Mortons Neuroma on both feet , they pperated exactly same place only on opposite feet..never had trouble after that with it..(but as we all know my body is falling apart over the rest of me LOL)

Seriously, I also had bad bone spurs in my heels and had them also removed and I can honestly say it is worth it! Good luck..

PS took about a month to heal.

Maxine

Latest posts

Back