Anti-Slaughter Bill

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SHORT & SWEET !!! I want the slaughter option available again, we need to regulate the shipping more and the humane treatment of the horses at/in the slaughter houses. This abolishment of the slaughter houses has killed the horse industry even before the economy collapse. When I see truckloads of these horses headed to Mexico, it sickens me, the horses might as well be killed right there on the trailer because they are headed to h-ll anyways going south over the border. We need our slaughter houses re-opened and MUCH MORE REGULATED. I just answered a poll about this, I will try to find it again and post.
Very well said!!

If you go to these auctions you will see that yes there are some poorly conformed horses run through but there are just as many beautiful, well broke, well bred horses heading to slaugher as well. It is a dirty secret of the horse breeding buisness that is becoming not so secret.

For those that think minis and ponies do not end up there due to their size I suggest you go to a few auctions and see what the KB ends up taking.

Some of the big horse people here will agree (i hope) with me that some are just to dangerous to have around

Maybe we should let the city slickers try to feed, trim, & and just plain old deal with them

South Dakota was/is trying to get a plant up there but dont know where it stands now because of all the threatening phone calls they are getting

if we get the plants back i will bet that the prices even in the mini world will rebound

this is just my opinion if that means anything

dawn

This will not get my vote either. While I don't like what is happening.... we need to re open the slaughter houses for horses in the US.

So,,, the folks that want this new anti slaughter bill..... are THEY going to take in and properly house, feed, care for all those horses for their rest of their lives? Put their money where their mouth is ...so to speak.

Such a nasty subject but you all see now what happens to the unwanted since we closed our slaughter houses down here.

I am fully against shipping horses for slaughter to Canada and Mexico. We need to reopen OUR slaughter houses here and they need to be carefully scrutinized to be sure the animals are put down and treated in a HUMANE WAY. If we have them opened in our own ball park they stand a better chance of being monitered.

Shipping to Mexico and Canada only EUDURES their TORTURE by having to travel more miles in tight uncaring crowded loads. I KNOW in Mexico for a fact they are not put down in a HUMANE way, quite the opposite, and forced to suffer horrendous pain.

If that bill is passed, and our slaughter houses remain closed then what?

We will be in a bigger mess than we already are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I COMPLETELY agree with re-opening US slaughterhouses, while turning legislative efforts to ensuring HUMANE transport, handling, and slaughter techniques HERE!

Journeys End is right in saying that we did the 'worst thing ever' in closing US slaughterhouses without consideration of what would follow...but then, that OFTEN happens when people LACKING KNOWLEDGE are 'driven' by emotional appeals (as with the survey showing that many never owned horses and never would). I appreciate the address, though, as I'll be contacting my Congressional reps to state not only my opposition to this latest proposal, but urging them to instead support a reopening of slaughterhouses in the US, but only IN CONCERT WITH, strong requirements regarding humane transport, handling, and slaughter.

I think all thoughtful horsepeople agree that they personally wouldn't sell a horse to slaughter--it will be a REAL financial hardship for me, but I am COMMITTED to euthanasia for mine, when the time comes. I am fortunate to have no restrictions I know of to self-bury(in fact, two are already buried here--a stillborn, and a long yearling who dislocated his hip,and the vets' best efforts couldn't fix---and 28 years' of dogs, a cat, a parrotlet, and even dear Dottie, our pet rat.) Around here, the rendering plant no longer accepts horses, PERIOD (rumor has it, due to pressure/intimidation from our "friends" at PETA(heavy ironic sarcasm INTENDED)--so you have to pay the vet for the euthanasia, then hire someone to remove the body to the landfill, where there are additional fees...it is not hard to see how many will simply not want to, or feel they are able to, pay for all of the cost of doing the right thing. I fully agree that you SHOULDN'T own ANY animal that you cannot take responsibility for at every level--but the sad truth is that there are always those who give that no consideration.

There is a rescue in N. CA that recently sponsored a 'low-cost euthanasia' clinic; I believe this is a move in the right direction, and should be promoted across the country....better a humane death than a sadly traumatic and painful one, no matter what the reason, IMO.

In summary--no, I won't be supporting the bill proposed at the start of this thread, but I do appreciate the 'reminder' to express my support of an alternative.

Margo

SHORT & SWEET !!! I want the slaughter option available again, we need to regulate the shipping more and the humane treatment of the horses at/in the slaughter houses. This abolishment of the slaughter houses has killed the horse industry even before the economy collapse. When I see truckloads of these horses headed to Mexico, it sickens me, the horses might as well be killed right there on the trailer because they are headed to h-ll anyways going south over the border. We need our slaughter houses re-opened and MUCH MORE REGULATED. I just answered a poll about this, I will try to find it again and post.

You said it very well......

I agree with Nathan! And in the words of Forest Gump "That's all I have to say about that".

You said it very well......

DITTO!

The anti slaughter folks state it is cruel and inhuman to transport horses because the drivers don't care for the horses and dont follow the D.O.T. laws of transport. Since they caused the shut down of the slaughter plants the horses are now transported alot further with so called "uncaring law breakers". So now they are trying to enact another bill.

H.R. 503 / S. 311 seeks to prohibit the shipping, transportation, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered,"and other pruposes". “Other purposes” is not defined and, if taken literally, could mean the transportation of horses for any reason, including sporting events, sales, recreation or transportation for medical care. This language is detrimental to the equine industry as a whole and if not addressed, could have unintended consequences.

This is a passage from the AAEP.

This is not what I want, we have to speak up, write letters to stop this or we will have no rights left for our horses. We won't be able to transport to events, trail rides, vets etc.

The Antis want the government to fund this project of careing for all the unwanted horses. Who is going to pay for it? We as tax payers will pay it and that really makes me angry. I did not cause this problem, I havent been over breeding, throwing my horses away, letting them starve, abusing them, so why should I have to pay for it?

We need jobs, we have families to feed so lets step up and speak out. Do you want your family to lose what they have over a bad economy, a bill passed saying we have to pay for someone elses mistakes? We have been doing that for years. so lets stop it.

They want the GOVERNMENT to support and pay for all the unwanted horses? By what means? On whose property? Are the caretakers going to require a salary? Who is responsible then for all the feed, vet, etc.. bills to maintain these horses and who is going to regulate this government funded fiasco? Are they going to set limits to what they are going to cover? A dollar amount per year per horse? Hmmmm, one needs a several thousand dollar colic surgery... who is going to cover that?

This is ridiculous- actually beyond that. This country cannot even help PEOPLE with no medical care and feed our hungry kids and care for the homeless or mentally ill, let alone feed 'unwanted horses'. Shoot, I think I'll sign up, list all my horses as 'unwanted' and perhaps the government will cut me a nice fat check each month to care for them.

This whole anti slaughter thing went down JUST like many of us said it would.... the long hauls without food or water to less than regulated slaughter houses elsewhere. And they are shocked that this is happening? No one could look past their own noses beyond 'we must save all the horses'......... to what end?

I want to see our slaughter houses reopened with regulations enforced by people who monitor them.

Latest posts

Back