Anti-Slaughter Bill

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneysEnd

Reaction score
The 111th Congress just began last week, and the Conyers-Burton Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act, H.R. 503, has already been introduced. With thousands of horses a month being shipped over the border to Mexico and Canada where they are shot and stabbed to death for their meat, we can’t waste any time. Like past legislation (the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act), the Conyers-Burton Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act (H.R. 503) will prohibit the sale and transport of horses for slaughter for human consumption, including horses being shipped over the border for slaughter.

We're off to an amazing start with this bill -- there were 61 co-sponsors already signed on to the bill the moment it was introduced!

Here is the link to find and email your representative:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

"Hello, my name is [your name] and I live in [your town]. As a constituent, I'm writing to urge Representative (your rep)to co-sponsor H.R. 503, the Conyers-Burton Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act, a bill that was just reintroduced to prevent horses from being cruelly slaughtered for human consumption. Thank you."

BTW - I'm not posting this to start a discussion on the pros and cons of slaughter. I think we all already know where we stand and I don't think anybody's changing their mind on the issue.

I invite you to contact your representative and let THEM know how you feel.

Thank you for notifying us of this... I'll be happy to lend my support AGAINST this bill and any others of similar nature. We need to prevent the export of meat animals... by eliminating the need by REOPENING our own plants. THEN I'll support a ban on export, which is sorely needed. But only in that order.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think we were wrong to shut the US plants down. It saddens me that any horse would have to go to slaughter, however, I'm beginning to think it's worse the way it is. Horses are just being turned loose or left in fields to die from starvation. IMHO I would like to see the US plants re-opened and have VERY strict laws inposed on these plants. Don't bother flaming me. I voted with most of you against the US slaughter, but I'm rethinking this. All the rescues are full. If we shut down the Mexico and Canada plants we will have thousands more starving. I would like to see those plants closed to the US as we can't monitor them, but we are eventually going to have to have plants here in the US. I wish there was another way to go, but I don't see any. Everyone talks about STOP BREEDING then those same people say they have only 1 or 2 mares pregnant.....times that by even 1/2 of the people who own horses in the US and see how many foals will be born in the spring.

Pam

As much as I hate to admit it, I think we were wrong to shut the US plants down. It saddens me that any horse would have to go to slaughter, however, I'm beginning to think it's worse the way it is. Horses are just being turned loose or left in fields to die from starvation. IMHO I would like to see the US plants re-opened and have VERY strict laws inposed on these plants. Don't bother flaming me. I voted with most of you against the US slaughter, but I'm rethinking this. All the rescues are full. If we shut down the Mexico and Canada plants we will have thousands more starving. I would like to see those plants closed to the US as we can't monitor them, but we are eventually going to have to have plants here in the US. I wish there was another way to go, but I don't see any. Everyone talks about STOP BREEDING then those same people say they have only 1 or 2 mares pregnant.....times that by even 1/2 of the people who own horses in the US and see how many foals will be born in the spring.Pam
This bill is intended to stop the flow into Mexico and Canada. The slaughter houses closing was separate to this bill. Even if the bill fails, it's my understanding Texas is not going to allow the plants to reopen. We did the worst possible thing, close the plants without closing the border. How is this different from the over population of cats and dogs though ? Do we euthanize all the unwanted horses ? It's all a people problem. I would love for there to be a way to spay a mare cheaply and safely. It the vets really want to help, figure that one out.

Yes, I understand this is a different bill. And I agree it's really not much different than over population of dogs and cats. Again, I hate to say it, but at least a lot of them get euthanized and they are much smaller to 'get rid of." I agree we did a bad thing not closing the borders. I also agree this is a PEOPLE problem. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting any better, but getting much worse.

Pam

Vickie,

You know I love you, but I won't support this bill either. While we caused our own problem by breeding FUGLY horses, over breeding the good ones, AND shutting down our own slaughter plants, the reality of the issue is unwanted horses have to go some where. And while I don't agree with practices of slaughter transport or slaughter in our neighboring countries, at the moment, its the only legitimate resource we have for our unwanteds. If this bill passes, then what? Then were are the unuseable and unwanted going to go?

We've already allowed the government to box us in on the slaughter issue, let's not give them the go ahead to nail the lid on.

I am pro slaughter and feel there is a need for this. Regardless of being processed for human consumption or not there are to many unwanted, uncared for horses. We can't rescue them all, not matter how much we may want to or how badly our heart hurts over the thought.

These horses are being transported to the borders due to the plants being closed. Here at least the captive bolt gun is used and according to the AVMA it is a human way of death.

My daughter is now in Mexico on a cruise. I asked her specifically to keep her eyes out to see how they treated the horses there.

They went on a horse pulled wagon ride and she said the horses had open sores on their rumps, open sore around their girth area. She started crying over the one and refused to get on that particular wagon. She was telling me this with tears and pain in her voice because she like the rest of us love and care for our horses. She said they do not take care of the horses, that they were very skinny, they yell at them, whip them etc.

I would have loved for any one who signed this bill to go there and see how they slaughter American horses. They slice the back of the neck behind the ears to cut the spinal cord, then instantly slit their throat to bleed them out. Not only are these horses being transported over a longer distance, they are treated even more cruelly then before.

My family are truckers and cops. They have all hauled livestock and are very well aware of the transport laws and they do check the horses or livestock as required. There are to many D.O.T, weigh stations etc that will fine these drivers if they do not follow the law.

Yes, there some drivers who don't care, but that doesn't mean they are ALL that way.

I really dislike Peta and all they stand for. The Haven Humane Society is another. Sea Kittens? Stupid.

Over breeding is a problem in the states, wild horses are a problem because of the natural breeding. Thats not to say we shouldn't breed, but it should slow way down for quite a while. BLM should spend the money to geld all the wild studs except a few and see how that works as well?

I am all for rescues like CMHR, they are honest, all volunteers, and they really do love and care for the horses. In fact after speaking to Gini, I have so much more respect for them then I do any other rescues Ive spoken to.

You know what REALLY scares me ? PETA wanting to call fish "sea kittens"

ROFLMAO!! I saw that too! AND THAT just proves how ridiculous and insane that group really is. I have a couple "sea kittens" in a tank on my desk at work "Fluffy" and "Cuddles".
default_wacko.png

oh um well I had a couple sea kittens until my 4 year grandson poured his apple juice in the tank. I havent been able to clean the tank so now he calls them my fuzzy fishies. I know disgusting.
default_wub.png
Just haven't been able to get any help with it. Hopfully when daughter gets back from her cruise.

I will have to agree that I to am AGAINST this bill. The worst thing we did for horses was to close our slaughter houses. Now horses are turned out in parks and fields and even busy highways because their owners can no longer afford to care for them any more. So these poor horses die a very painful death, by injury or starvation.

If we close the boarders to slaughtered horses, just imagine how much worse it will be.
default_new_shocked.gif

We do not have the facilities to turn them over like we do for dogs and cats.

I hate to see horses go to slaughter, nor would I ever sell a horse to slaughter. But we did have a reason for the slaughter houses and it helped to take care of the over population.

Yes we need to reduce the amount of horses we breed and the farms that have 30, 40, 50 or more babies a year should look to themselves. This includes other large horses as well as the Miniature horse. How can one possible find homes for all of those babies?

We all need to reduce the number of horses we breed.

You all know how I feel about breeding horses just to have babies. Since I come from the dog world, it has always been a pet peeve of mine. What is the point? Especially in light of this situation.

As far as PETA is concerned, they are animals WORST enemies!!! They are a reaction force and have no fore thought to what their dumb ideas will do to animals in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for notifying us of this... I'll be happy to lend my support AGAINST this bill and any others of similar nature. We need to prevent the export of meat animals... by eliminating the need by REOPENING our own plants. THEN I'll support a ban on export, which is sorely needed. But only in that order.

I agree. It is a horrible ending and I am mortified that people are not willing to spend the money and put down older lame horses or quit breeding (insert any number from 1-100 here)babies a year trying to get that one show quality foal. Until this industry changes there will be a need for plants.

We have on another forum a on going debate about pro and anti slaughter. It is now 143 pages and still going.

One of the posters sent out a survey to her friends and clients to see who is who. I asked her to ask if they have ever owned, would own, or had knowledge of horses. Quite a few that came back had never owned a horse or would. That shows me that people are voting on things with out doing research or knowledge of the subjects. It's called a knee jerk reaction to the thought of a sweet faced cute fuzzy horsie being slaughtered for some one to eat.

Horsemeat for human consumption isnt the only factor to look at here, but it also isnt the only reason we need slaughter plants as well as more rendering plants. We are going through a recession and we need jobs, need to feed our families, make a living wage. The over population of livestock, dogs, cats and animals period is one of the biggest problems we as Americans have.

What we do need and what I would support is a program offering low cost euthanasia and disposal. No bill without an alternative way of solving the economically induced glut of homeless horses would gain my support.

"With thousands of horses a month being shipped over the border to Mexico and Canada where they are shot and stabbed to death for their meat, we can’t waste any time"

Ummm...I know mexico doesnt have many rules and regulations on the shipment and slaughter of animals but I know here in Canada we do not shoot and stab animals in our slaughter houses. I've been to a few.

Its called a captive bolt gun. Same as you used to use down in the states and with pretty much the same rules and regulations you used to have as well. So please dont start throwing us in there thinking that we have

the same poor animal ethics as Mexico.

I also think that shutting down the shipping of your horses would hurt you more than benefit, the same if Canada were to shut down our slaughter houses. There are WAAAAY too many horses to be saved and re-homed,

and the problem only gets bigger because many people are still choosing to breed horses of poor conformation in hopes of turning a profit or because they are ignorant and were not educated better. I think it would

be wonderful if there was no longer a need for slaugter, but until that time it is, unfortunately, a nessesary evil.

Stormy: I completely agree, for those who can no longer afford to keep thier horse and would like to give it a dignified end, Low cost euthanasia would be a great thing. The only problem I could see would be funding

as Euthanasia drugs and proper disposal can be pricey.

ETA: It is also my belief though, that when you take on a horse or any animal for that matter, you have to be completely prepared, mentally, physically, and finanically for its ENTIRE life, including its humane death. Honestly if you cannot affort to put your horse down humanely at the end of its life, you should not own one. I understand that sometimes ther are circumstances beyond anyones control but it is something to think about before someone enters animal ownership.

As terrible as it is, I DO SUPPORT SLAUGHTER.

Now, I am a vegetarian, and would prefer NO animal to have to go to slaughter. But I don't understand how anyone can eat meat and be AGAINST horse slaughter. Sorry, but horses are animals just like pigs and chickens and cows are.

I won't rehash what others have said about dying terrible deaths now that US slaughterhouses are closed, but it's tragic.

So sad all the way around. I'll euthanize any of my horses before I'd let them go to slaughter, but not all animals have that luxury.

Andrea

SHORT & SWEET !!! I want the slaughter option available again, we need to regulate the shipping more and the humane treatment of the horses at/in the slaughter houses. This abolishment of the slaughter houses has killed the horse industry even before the economy collapse. When I see truckloads of these horses headed to Mexico, it sickens me, the horses might as well be killed right there on the trailer because they are headed to h-ll anyways going south over the border. We need our slaughter houses re-opened and MUCH MORE REGULATED. I just answered a poll about this, I will try to find it again and post.

I live in Anderson, Ca. The only rendering plant that I could find is over 170 miles away from me. Since I have only a bit over a acre I will not be able to bury my ShotGun here because of the land ordinances, water tables etc.

That is to say I won't be able to legally.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have a place all picked out for him when the time comes.

The expense of sending the carcass to render on top of euthanasia, is more then most can afford.

When the choice is made it is a heart wrenching unforgiving emotion that stays with us for a lifetime.

SHORT & SWEET !!! I want the slaughter option available again, we need to regulate the shipping more and the humane treatment of the horses at/in the slaughter houses. This abolishment of the slaughter houses has killed the horse industry even before the economy collapse. When I see truckloads of these horses headed to Mexico, it sickens me, the horses might as well be killed right there on the trailer because they are headed to h-ll anyways going south over the border. We need our slaughter houses re-opened and MUCH MORE REGULATED. I just answered a poll about this, I will try to find it again and post.
I have to agree!

Back