Another Vaccination Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
Okay, I know some of you have read my post where I had to give my weanling antibotic shots because she developed a Rhino/sinus infection.

So my question the vet told me that sometimes horses can still get sick even when they have been vaccinated.

So my question:

Should I vaccinate for Rhino more often than once a year?

We vaccinate our older horses with a 5 way combination shot so we don't have to poke them more than once. (Which is the Fort Dodge shot, I am thinking of switching to Prestige V next year)

But the vet vaccinates with 2 shots one shot for Sleeping sickness and tetanus (Fort Dodge shot) and one shot for Rhino and flu (Prestige II).

So should I revised my vaccination program? I am really worried my program is not protecting my minis like it should.

I always have the vet give my weanlings their first years shots so in case they have a reaction she is there to take care of it.

Our breeding program is small we only have two foals a year because we do several community activities with our minis for school kids and elderly.

My husband gives the older minis their shots and we never have a sick one. This is the first time we have had a sick one.

What am I doing wrong?
sad.gif

Judy

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Sometimes they just get sick and all you can do is pull them through it. We had horses get sick on us once about 5 years ago and they had all been vaccinated. They caught one of the strains of Rhino (very ugly don't EVER want to go through that again even though we didn't lose any) and since we travel alot and expose our horses all over the country our vet reccomened that we give the Rhino shot more often so now we give West Nile, Strangles and Prestige V in the spring and Prestige II twice more through the year. We haven't had any problems (knock on wood) since we started this program. If you wan't to change it probably won't hurt, but your program sounds like a good one already to me.

Thank you Voodoo that makes me feel better, I just felt so bad for my little one. I agree its baaad stuff!

But I think I will give Rhino aleast every 6 month, I don't think it will hurt, hopefully help.

Thank you so much!!!

Judy

Judy,

IMO, you are not doing anything wrong at all......( I prefer Prestige, personally too). And yes, your horse can get sick with ANYTHING that you vaccinate for, but with the shot they should have lessor symptoms.

MA

Latest posts

Back