Another rattlesnake attack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2 year old appaloosa was bitten today. I am not sure exactly when. I went out to feed and discovered him. I feel so bad, thinking I should have discovered him sooner. I did see them around noon, and put on fly masks and gave a treat. If the snake had bitten a little higher, the mask would have protected him, I think.

His face and mouth are terribly swollen. His breathing is raspy. There is blood coming out of his eyes, the vet said due to the swelling. We had to leave him at the vet's tonight, as he wanted to watch him because of the breathing. He tried to put a tube in his nose, but could not get it in.

He gave him banamine for swelling and something for pain. I am not sure what else. He is a good vet, but does not communicate well--you have to ask about everything. I am supposed to call back in the morning around 8:30.

I know the snakes are moving more now, being driven out of some of the agriculture fields. I sure haven't seen much sign of them all summer, so this has taken me by surprise.

I imagine heck be fine, just be thankful that you found him when you did. Leaving him at the vets is one of the best things you can do for him now, now I would be not walking around in flip flops any time soon
default_wink.png
good luck and good thoughts for him. Be sure to keep us updated.

Dan

I hope your boy recovers. I can't imagine finding something like a snake bite. I have never seen a snake where I live (knock on wood). I hope I never do.

Hope your guy recovers quickly, scary to see them so swollen and distorted. Both of my Jack Russells were bitten last night by the same snake, one - who had the rattlesnake shot prior to - is doing well, the other not so good. I did read the company's website who makes the vaccine & it says they are working on a rattlesnake vaccine for horses.

Jan

I had a little filly bitten by a snake earlier in the year. Luckily it bit her under the chin. Her face was swollen and muzzle up to under her eyes. Because of the location of the bite it did not effect her breathing, but certainly could have. From what I understand it is the swelling on the nose and breathing passages that can be fatal, as obvisouly they can suffacate. Lucky you found him when you did. My little girl when I first found her must have just gotten bitten, she looked like a chip monk. I was able to treat her immediately as I had some DEX on hand to do so. When calling the Vet, he prescribed what I needed to give her. Within a couple of days her face was back to normal. I was lucky too.

My friend Debbie was bitten TWO TIMES by a Copperhead here recently. She was rushed to emergency and spent several days in intensive care. She did not see the snake either. So just because you don't see them, does not mean they are not there. BE CAREFUL, copperheads don't let you know when they are around, rattlers at least give you warning. Both of these types of snakes live and like the same type areas/climates and locations.

We had a 9 month old filly that was sold locally here get bit by a rattle snake at her new owners house.

Her head swelled up something fierce , and the vet talked the owner into giving her the antivenom.

She did not make it after the shot,
default_no.gif
as the antivenom shot can be just as traumatic on their small systems as the bite. On the larger breed horses the antivenom is known to be more sucessful.

I hope your boy recovers just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Called the vet this morning and Dusty cannot come home yet. He is on IV. He is able to breathe a little but cannot eat or drink. The vet said he must have gotten a huge dose of venom. I feel so bad I didn't find him sooner. I saw him standing in the shade, and he didn't come up but I thought he was just relaxed. Now I wish I had gone over and looked at him. I know you shouldn't beat yourself up for should-of-would-of, but I still feet like I let him down. He might not have been bitten already then, but if I'd checked him I would have a better time frame.

wildoak, I'm sorry to hear about your dogs. Hope they recover completely.

I've heard the antivenom isn't good. I don't think the vet gave mine any.

default_no.gif
OH NO- I'm praying your little guy recovers completely and quickly!!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Wildoak--I also am praying for your little doggies!!!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
default_luck.gif

Soooo Sorry Marsha!!! It is one of the things we have to deal with living where we do.

Right now the snakes are finding their way back to their dens to hibernate for the winter. We had one by our porch about a month ago but other than that havent had any problems this year. (Knock on wood)

I am sure he will be fine, expecially since he is a the vets.

Sorry to hear about your horse and I hope he recovers. I have had 2 fillies bitten on the nose by a snake. One handled it better than the other. The one who was hit the hardest by the bite, I honestly feel id I hadn't gone looking for her she would've died. When I found her she was laying down and covered in sweat. I thought she was dead when I first saw her as she didn't respond to me calling her, I had to shake her to "wake" her up. But thankfully both came out of it okay. Having a horse bitten by a snake is surely an awful feeling.

[SIZE=12pt]I hope your horse make a speedy recovery.
default_pray.gif
[/SIZE]

We had one strike our horse "Hallmarks Boomers Bentley" twice under the jaw area a couple of years ago when I used to own him so I know how you feel.

[SIZE=12pt]His poor head swelled up so badly that he was not even recognizable. He look more like a gator.... than a horse. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scared to death of snakes! I hope your boy gets better soon Marsha!

I hope your doggies are ok too Jan!

good reason for guns. we never go into our pasture with out one of the .22's

I am so sorry. I hope your boy is doing better by now. Sending prayers to get him through this. It must be horrible to have to worry about such a thing as poisonous snakes.

Just talked to the vet. He said the swelling has not lessened, but his airways are adequately open. He will get another IV this evening. Hopefully he will be able to come home tomorrow. Poor little curious, trusting guy!

Marsha, glad to hear he's hanging in there - they just look and feel so miserable with a snake bite. I think my dogs will both make it too, but I will sure highly recommend the rattlesnake vaccine (NOT the same thing as the antivenom). We gave it to 3 of our 4 dogs this summer (there's a story there on the 4th one lol). Dexter, who had the shot, looks almost back to normal in less than 48 hours. Some swelling still, but minimal and he is perky. The older gal who didn't get the shot looks like she has a cantaloupe for a head. This is her second snake bite, she survived this once before and I think she will pull through again but it's pretty rough. I'm treating both with SMZ, DMSO, Dex and Benedryl. Vet also suggested banamine which I haven't done yet.

I did read the other night that the antivenom shot itself can be fatal to a dog, esp the second time around.

Jan

I'm glad to hear that your horse is improving--Jan's dogs too!!

Jan, may I ask--did the vet tell you to give the banamine orally, or by injection? Did she warn you that banamine can make dogs terribly sick--throwing up sick? I think it still helps the primary condition, but the vomiting makes it seem as if the dog is worse, not better.

In the 29+ years I've lived here, I've had a pony, a mini, and a Rottie get bitten by rattlesnakes. All survived; the mini and the dog were discovered VERY soon after it happened, both received antivenin, and recovered pretty quickly and without incidence (both were bitten on the nose). The pony was bitten on the nose, but not discovered as soon(she'd been turned out on the then-neighbors' pasture--I was down showing at the State Fair, and my husband didn't discover what had happened until he went to get the mare that afternoon--and by then, she was already VERY swollen. He called the vet, who came over, put a syringe cover w/end cut off into one nostril, administered meds--and the pony was fine after a day or two.

In both cases that antivenin was administered, we were told that it only helps if given quite soon after the bite. Nowadays, the expense for even a mini would be VERY prohibitive; it cost about $125-150 for the small stallion I had who got it, around 18-20 years ago! No mention was ever made of it being dangerous for a mini....

I didn't know there WAS a 'vaccine' for rattlesnake bite for dogs, Jan...how expensive is it, and does it have to be boostered yearly? Would be great if one could be developed for horses at a reasonable cost!!

Although I don't OFTEN find rattlers up here, I know they are around...I never allow any of my horses, even when I had 'bigs', to graze my 5 acres next door until after the weather cools off--around Oct/Nov., because I don't want to risk snakebite. Starting now is when they are the 'grouchiest, and therefore, most likely to bite anything that approaches too closely.

Hope both Marsha's horse and Jan's dogs recover quickly and without further incident!

Margo

Latest posts

Back