Another proposal for an AMHA 'B' Division

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3

Reaction score
Sorry this is so long, I have been thinking about this idea since I first got into Minis years ago, and with all the talk of AMHS and now an Appendix registry, I thought it might be time to find out what others think of this proposal... The emphasis on what I have written is on the AMHS, as that was the proposal that was being put forward, but I think most of my thoughts apply to the Appendix idea as well...

I am opposed the AMHS as it is proposed, and I don't feel that the Appendix idea is the right answer either. I do not think that the AMHA needs to start a 'new' registry for 34-38" horses. Recognizing horses over 34" as 'miniature' horses goes against the stated charter of the AMHA.

I seen no compelling reason why AMHA should start a registry by going outside of its own gene-pool to allow horses from other registries and those that are unregistered with totally unknown pedigrees into our registry that has so long been associated with only 34†and under equines? Doing so would mean a major change in the focus of the Association, and I think it would do more to promote other Registries that it would help our own. Yes, it would be a new source of income, but I don't think it is the best way that could be available.

I believe that if AMHA has to support an entirely new and separate registry, such as AMHS, it might end up increasing our expenses, eating into whatever revenue the new registry would generate. Yes, the gross revenues would increase with the addition of AMHS registrations, but more registrations increase the workload for the office staff, so it would be necessary to increase office staff to handle the tasks, reducing the net revenue to AMHA. Further reducing the net revenue would be the fact that we would have to provide the same opportunities to AMHS as we do to AMHA. Therefore, they would have to have the same educational, promotional, and showing opportunities. Since the AMHS would be a separate registry from AMHA, with its own needs and different marketing strategies, etc., it means we would double the educational, promotional, and show budgets since they would be their ‘own’ registry, and not truly a ‘part’ of AMHA.

With the currently proposed AMHS registry, a problematic area will be whether people will expect to incorporate AMHS horses into the same shows where AMHA horses are being exhibited. I do NOT think this is a good idea. AMHA shows are ‘full’ enough with the class lists that are offered. To incorporate AMHS horses would mean that AMHA classes would need to be cut. That is taking away from AMHA and AMHA members.

I do, however, support a ‘B’ division for AMHA, with the ‘B’ denoting a new 'breeding stock' division in the AMHA stud book for those horses that had AMHA papers at one time in their lives, are parent qualified, but have grown over the 34" mark. These would be horses who are offspring of fully registered AMHA horses and who can prove their parentage. If AMHA is a 'breed' association, that prides themselves in the purity of it pedigrees and insists on DNA testing and parental verification, then it does not seem right that a horse who can prove to be the offspring of two registered parents is denied acceptance into AMHA, at least in some manner. As an Association, we should not be turning our backs on these horses we have produced.

However, I do not see these 'breeding stock' horses as being treated completely the same as 'regularly' registered horses. Allowing a ‘breeding stock’ division should not change the AMHA standard of perfection, therefore AMHA should not recognize them as true ‘miniature’ horses, and therefore would not allow horses over the height of 34" to participate in AMHA sanctioned shows. To do so would defeat the years of work that breeders have put into trying to breed the smallest, perfect horse.

This concept of allowing all sizes to be registered, but not allowing all sizes to show, is not new. It is my understanding that this is the way that registered dogs are shown. Each breed of dog has a ‘standard’ height range for showing. Only those dogs that meet the height requirements are exhibited. Horses in a ‘breeding stock’ division would be treated the same. They would be treated essentially the same as horses with ‘regular’ AMHA papers, the primary difference is that since they don’t meet the ‘standard’ they are ineligible to be shown at AMHA shows.

There is an economic benefit to AMHA in a ‘breeding stock’ division. These horses who exceeded 34†are currently ‘lost’ to AMHA, losing their genetic potential and revenue. With the breeding stock option, AMHA could earn additional income from registrations when these horses are taken permanent. Additional earnings would come from registering the foals of these animals. Right now, by turning our backs on the ‘used-to-be’ AMHA horses we are also turning our backs on income they could be generating for the Association.

A ‘breeding stock’ division registration would give the AMHA more net revenue than an AMHS registration would. Along with the fact that the ‘breeding stock’ division doesn’t have to be supported with education, promotion, and show opportunities, a breeding stock registration won’t increase the AMHA office workload as much. It is simpler and quicker to take a ‘temporary’ registration to ‘breeding-stock’ than it is to create a brand new registration for an over-sized non-AMHA affiliated horse into AMHS. AMHS would require a new, full registration packet being created. To move a horse from temporary to breeding-stock within AMHA is just a change in status, so it is not as time and labor intensive because the horse’s information if already on record.

I have heard people say that having a breeding stock division would be a step backwards, and that is would promote people breeding larger horses. However, I do not believe this to be true. Offering a non-showing, breeding stock division does not promote the production of taller horses, as it would not 'reward' (by offering them a venue for exhibition) breeders who are producing taller and taller horses. There will be no incentive to breed for the taller horses if they can not be shown. The economic incentive will still be to breed the 34" and under horse.

I would however, allow them to produce AMHA registerable foals, IF they are bred to a mate who carries 'regular' (34" or under) papers. I would allow the foals produced from such matings to have the normal 'temporary' papers that are currently given to all AMHA foals. If they stay under the 34" mark at maturity, they are automatically given 'regular' papers. If they go over 34", then they would be given 'breeding stock' papers.

I do not think there should be any limit to the height of horses in the 'breeding stock' division. If they are parent qualified from registered AMHA horses, then they should be allowed in the breeding stock division. (Again, there is no monetary incentive for breeders to be producing over-size horses, so allowing the taller horses in this division does not create an incentive to breed for taller horses.)

Just another thought that came to mind when I was thinking about over-sized horses and a breeding stock division. It has to do with hardshipping and the fact that some people don’t want to allow breeding stock horse to produce foals with ‘normal’ temporary papers. Genetically, the foals from breeding stock horses (especially if they are mated to horses with ‘regular AMHA’ papers) are more likely to stay under 34†than the foals from hardshipped horses who come from parents who are known to be over 34â€. Often, the horses that are hardshipped are not true examples of the genetic heights for their bloodlines. The fact that they matured at under 34†is sometimes just happenstance. Genetically, these hardshipped horses are more likely to produce taller offspring that the ‘breeding-stock’ horses. (On a different note, maybe with this in mind, hardshipped horses should have some special designation on their papers and be required to only be bred to horses with ‘regular’ AMHA papers, just as I have proposed for ‘breeding stock’ horses. Maybe, a hardshipped horse could have the letter H after its registration number so that it is easily denoted that the horse did not come from AMHA stock.) Hardshipped horses have a greater chance of producing oversize offspring than AMHA horses that go ‘over’, but no one seems concerned about putting any restrictions on the registration of foals from hard-shipped horses to be registered. Therefore, I don’t see where allowing ‘breeding stock’ horses the same privileges is any cause for alarm for the registry either.

Another benefit of a ‘breeding stock’ division, is that is would help people to be honest about the true heights of their horses. Currently, if an AMHA registered horse exceeds 34â€, and an owner is honest about it, their horse suddenly becomes a ‘grade’ animal of minimal worth. The fact that it can be hardshipped into a different registry has nothing to do with the fact that the registry of its birth, AMHA, has declared the horse ‘worthless’ by refusing to recognize it anymore. With a breeding stock division, the horse does not lose its AMHA identity. It might be less valuable, as it can no longer be shown in AMHA shows, but it is still a viable breeding animal, able to produce AMHA registered foals, so retains much more value than being a ‘grade’ animal.

Along the same line, by being able to acknowledge that ones horse has exceeded 34â€, without the fear of the animal being rejected by AMHA, an owner of an oversized horse is free to register it with other registries and show it in shows that have classes for taller horses. Owners would no longer have to ‘hide’ these horses in the back pasture, but could proudly continue to exhibit the animals, without fear of the horse totally losing its AMHA status.

I really don’t see any substantial negatives to a ‘breeding stock’ division in the AMHA stud books for horse who had temporary AMHA papers, are parent qualified, and have grown over 34†tall. I would be strongly in favor of AMHA initiating this kind of a proposal, but I am not in favor of the AMHS proposal.

Hand-in-hand with starting a ‘breeding stock’ division, should be changing the way we measure our miniatures horses. It should be changed from the last hair of the main to the TOP of the withers. I have some very specific ideas on how to implement the change, but that will the topic of another letter. Thank you for your time.

Julie Miller

R3 Minis

Fletcher, OK

www.R3minis.net

Hi Julie,

I just addressed my concerns with the Appendix Registry and feel much as you do. I don't care what they call it Breeding Stock, Appendix, the B's the ?? it would be nice for the verification of pedigrees, DNA/PQ that is already developed for our AMHA horses to be available for the ones that do go over the 34" or under ideal.

My own personal reasoning -

This year I turned in papers on 3 of our horses that are now AMHR only registered and have one more horse's in my next pile of papers to send in. I would love to keep their AMHA papers, especially on two of them as they will continue to be used for breeding, but right now they're foals will be only registerable AMHR. One of them her first foal went B size. She comes from a line (sire's) that is under 30", dam is 33". So what will she produce in the future? As of right now I have to keep copies of her AMHA paperwork (DNA?PQ too, as she was hardshipped into AMHR and has a short (parents only) pedigree in AMHR when in fact she has a long documented pedigree, but it doesn't show with AMHR.

Anyway, I would support what you have to say as I do not want to interfere with the AMHA goal of the most correct under 34" mini.

Good job Julie - very eloquently put - maybe you could work on the Committee that Ronnie was speaking about to get this worded in an acceptable manner?

i like ronnies appendix idea. it needs tweaking like any new idea but i do think its a workable compromise.

I have heard and the numbers show that attendance at amha shows is down. so how adding a taller show division could hurt i really dont understand??

I own and show both A size and B size horses. I have never shown amha because I could only take half my show string. If i could take the entire show string i would go and suport the amha shows.

as to it increasing office exspenses because of additional work and income well thats a good thing! Thats the goal of most business is to increase volume and income and hire more employees if needed
default_smile.png
And with the new computer system it should be fairly quick to do.

Of all the proposals I have heard, this seems to be the best thought out. I do think change is needed and I think it needs to start with measuring from the withers. Regarding B division/oversize/appendix/etc., your solution seems to me to be the best offered so far. I do not like the idea of a separate registry.

Around ten years ago because of requests by members in my region, I proposed this same proposal as an Appendix division. It was turned down two different years.

but more registrations increase the workload for the office staff, so it would be necessary to increase office staff to handle the tasks, reducing the net revenue to AMHA. Further reducing the net revenue would be the fact that we would have to provide the same opportunities to AMHS as we do to AMHA. Therefore, they would have to have the same educational, promotional, and showing opportunities. Since the AMHS would be a separate registry from AMHA, with its own needs and different marketing strategies, etc., it means we would double the educational, promotional, and show budgets since they would be their ‘own’ registry, and not truly a ‘part’ of AMHA.

Yes Julie and this is the part that is bothering me a little bit.

Proposed AMHS is going to take on a life of it's own, and probably end up having to have their own shows, etc. etc. and more DNA and a lot more budgeting, & staffing, and before you know it, this thing is going to spiral way out of control.

I think you and Ronnie are both bringing up many good ideas as well as HGFARM's 1 & 2 which made an impact with me.

I like your thoughts.

Our dutch studbook allows any horse but it cannot become "permanent" (in our case approved for the studbook) if it´s to big, but we can still breed these animals and if there offspring is smaller it is accepted again and didn´t lose the predigree.

The only thing these oversized horses cannot do is show.

Cause I agree that´s it´s a shame for a horse to lose his papers just because it grew to big, it may still produce great and smaller offspring.

Excellent post, Julie! :aktion033:

and Tony, I guess we can hope that "the powers that be" at AMHA will eventually open up their minds to some positive changes, that will enable the registry to grow and prosper. Maybe the third time is the charm?
default_smile.png

What happened ten years ago may not be of any issues now- that is water under the bridge and these times they are a'changing. Julie your idea here fit closely to something that I would like to see. I am hoping that as time goes by, things will change a bit.

Any corporation who does business now the way they did 20 years ago, is probably out of business or going to be. You cant ignore that the rest of the world changes and you are not.

I think there are many great ideas floating around that deserve some SERIOUS discussion and study.

I agree, as AMHA updates and streamlines some of their computer things, a lot of the manual stuff and all will be greatly reduced, allowing more time for the folks who are working hard there to give time to another 'project'.
default_yes.gif
:

Since years ago the AMHA had "foundation" stock and it worked then, why can't they just bring that program back??!!! They already have the ground work done so therefore they could just reinstate the program.

Since years ago the AMHA had "foundation" stock and it worked then, why can't they just bring that program back??!!! They already have the ground work done so therefore they could just reinstate the program.
The whole reason for the "foundation" stock was to appease people who had horses in their herds over 34" that had AMHA papers,and to get the registry closed. The belief, then and now, was that those horses would eventually die off and then there would only be stock, as intended when the registry was chartered, that was 34" and under.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like this idea. I think that there does have to be some way that if a horse out of two under 34" goes over, for them to be used as breeding stock and not loose the A pedigree. What is the point if you have to then cross that foal back to something small, then if that resulting foal in turn is going to mature under 34" you have to wait 5 years to turn around and hardship back in? For 10x less hassle you just register and show R. That is maybe where a lot of the money for A is going because no one wants to deal with such crap. Face it, people will always choose to work smarter, not harder and will take the easiest route possible and if that means jumping ship and spending their money at another club then so be it. You know that the flukes happen and sometimes out of two small parents with small backgrounds you get some bahemouth (sp?). Just like we all know how many oversized minis out of two A parents still have A papers and are thrown in the back pasture so no one will ever know. What a chance to have to take and what a waste. Would it not be nice to not have to hide those good looking horses even if they are a fluke? I agree that the only breeding stock ones should have to be out of two DNA/PQ proven A registered horses and not just anything out of the pasture or the undersized result of two R horses. If it truly comes from A then just because it goes a little over should not make it any less valuable and who knows where most people will be in 5 years let alone having to wonder if you will be able to keep a foal that long to get it hardshipped back in. Makes no sense to me. :no:

I like your idea. :aktion033: It sounds like it is much more thought out. :bgrin

My thoughts, too. From FULLY registered AMHA parents, all DNA/PQ'd....if they go over 34" they could be marked as "breeding stock" and given only that use -- no showing, etc. It is an issue when you have so much stock that is
default_rolleyes.gif
: at 34" only, and you know many foals will go over, but sometimes these smaller ones (usually from taller stock) will throw foals that go over. If you've been breeding for a while you have come to realize that the grandsires/dams DO bring their genetics to the equation. These "breeding stock" animals may not throw their size but that of their parents, etc. I have animals that do NOT throw their size (all being 34" & under) --- some taller, some shorter--- but, I can almost guarantee where the size will be because I know the tendancy at breeding. It's just like long legs, short head, thin neck, etc......the percentages show you how to breed for a "certain" element with greatest possible chances.

I see this as a win win, you can still show that over horse in the R and keep A papers.

.....I do not see these 'breeding stock' horses as being treated completely the same as 'regularly' registered horses. Allowing a ‘breeding stock’ division should not change the AMHA standard of perfection, therefore AMHA should not recognize them as true ‘miniature’ horses, and therefore would not allow horses over the height of 34" to participate in AMHA sanctioned shows. To do so would defeat the years of work that breeders have put into trying to breed the smallest, perfect horse.
I agree completely, very well said Julie.

Hardshipped horses have a greater chance of producing oversize offspring than AMHA horses that go ‘over’, but no one seems concerned about putting any restrictions on the registration of foals from hard-shipped horses to be registered.
Very good point!

I would be in favor of this Julie, thank you for the time you spent on getting your point accross. It could be called Breeding Stock or Appendix, Tony now may be the right time to propose this again, 10 years ago it was a lot harder to drum up supporters than it is now.

I will not support any options that entertain adding over 34" horses into the AMHA registry but would support our DNA'd Parent qualified AMHA horses who go oversize having a section to be placed in so we can continue to use their bloodlines. If their offspring stay within the height limit then they'd have regular papers. That'd be something I would support.

default_yes.gif
: I have heard of this being proposed before - and I have always liked the idea!
default_yes.gif
:

.....I do not see these 'breeding stock' horses as being treated completely the same as 'regularly' registered horses. Allowing a ‘breeding stock’ division should not change the AMHA standard of perfection, therefore AMHA should not recognize them as true ‘miniature’ horses, and therefore would not allow horses over the height of 34" to participate in AMHA sanctioned shows. To do so would defeat the years of work that breeders have put into trying to breed the smallest, perfect horse.
Well said! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

If the oversize horses are limited to breeding only, it does away with some of the issues that are not popular w/ the Appendix proposal ...... i.e. creating classes for oversize horses at AMHA shows that are already large and long enough ... AMHA should not become an AMHR "clone" w/ "A" & "B" showing divisions, but a "B" Breeding Stock designation would be awesome!

If the oversize horse continues to produce oversized foals, the foals would not be eligible for AMHA registration - plain and simple. While any foals that meet the AMHA height requirement WOULD be eligible ... IMHO that is how it should be. Why "toss the baby out with the bath water" and lose what could be a great producer

Hardshipped horses have a greater chance of producing oversize offspring than AMHA horses that go ‘over’, but no one seems concerned about putting any restrictions on the registration of foals from hard-shipped horses to be registered.
HUH ???

I don't agree at all! Why do you feel that hardshipped horses have a greater chance of going over?? I have personally seen MANY AMHR only horses that are way under the AMHA height limit and that would never produce foals that would go over ........ some of these horses actually HAD AMHA papers at one time, but disillusioned owners didn't bother taking them permanent. In fact, I just bought a little mare for my soon to be granddaughter - and if it was more reasonable to hardship AMHR horses into the AMHA I'd do it in a heartbeat - all of my other horses are double registered (except the big driving horse that hauls my wheelchair & I around).

One other thing - OT I Know, but maybe someone can clear this up for me ... Why was/is there so much emphasis put on closing the registry? AND ... if the registry is truly closed, how come hardshipping is allowed? Doesn't that mean it isn't really closed at all - it just costs more to "get in"??
default_unsure.png
:

OK, a bit more than my 2 cents ... done for now!

Nan

I based the statement about hardshipped horses being more likely to produce tall foals based on horses that are personally under 34", but have two parents, and possibly generations of over 34" horses in their pedigree. The horse being hardshipped is smaller than what is expected within that family tree. The hardshipped horse is 'genetically' bigger than its own 34" or under height. It 'should' have been taller. 'Generally' it is true that an animal is more likely to produce offspring that are more similar to the genetic 'average' of its relatives than it is to produce offspring like itself if it is not 'typical' of its family.

My statement would not apply to hardshipped horse that were produced from under 34" parents. Those horses would have 'smaller' genetics like a 'regularly' registered horse.

Back