Another Driving Horse Update!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiccanz

Reaction score
OK, now that our show season is virtually over (for us it is anyway
default_smile.png
), I will have more time to put into my next driving project. :bgrin

Here she is ground driving in full harness.

crackerdrive1.jpg

crackerdrive2.jpg

And today, we put her to the cart for the first time. Only a few minor disagreements about how to get around corners, but was trotting a smallish figure of eight happily by the time we finished :bgrin And for the safety-conscious, before these pics were taken, she spent some time being led around by my husband while she got used to the sound and feel of a cart.

crackerdrive3.jpg

crackerdrive4.jpg

crackerdrive5.jpg

Not sure whether this should be posted here or the Pic Gallery, don't mind if it gets moved.
default_smile.png

Glad to see it here as I dont ck the pic gallery often,{ slow computor}. sunday may be our first day with the cart. Ive been ground driving her for about a month, and have gotten her over speed control problems[ she wanted to trot everywhere and all the time.] DR.

Lovely little girl! I'm so jealous that you can get out and work...it's still nasty, nasty out and the ground is frozen solid in the morning and like oatmeal by afternoon
default_sad.png
But your post was inspiring!

Super - she looks great -- and about ready to go full steam -- love the harness and cart too.

Congrats - you are WAAAAAYYYY ahead of me.

I am gelding mine next weekend and when he is healed I will start on him for real. He is 3 this year.

JJay

Yes, that's Cracker. She has a long way to go yet, but we've made a start and we've got all winter to work on it :bgrin

I don't have any recent pictures, but Destiny (Erica's Echos of My Destiny) has been in training with Larry Parnell, trainer of National Champions, since mid-October
default_yes.gif
: I think he will be heading back to Erica's soon and am so excited to see him in the driving ring this season :bgrin

Your little yellow mare is just as cute as a bug's ear! Looks like she is doing great and days away from having you hop in behind her! What fun. :bgrin

Jill, is Destiny being prepared as a Country or Single horse?

I'm jeaous! Can't even get to the carts - mud everywhere. Although the SNOW is pretty much gone, for now.

Sending a horse to a trainer April 1, and hopefully will be able to start the ones staying home about the same time.

I am so jealous! Cracker looks great to me and I just love the green grass too. We had ONE day with no snow or mud and we did take advantage by getting one stop closer to the cart. But we had a Nor'easter just after that, and now have about 9" of snow/sleet/ice on the ground so it will be weeks before we can do much more. Here is Princess with the cart for the first time; the shafts are being held at this point so she is not bearing the full weight. We will just keep plugging away when we can.

Princess_Hitched_March_2007.jpg

I do feel for you all with regard to the weather. Which is why I'm in such a hurry to get her driving before it turns to custard over here!

Yesterday, (Sunday), I did get in the cart, and trotted several laps of the paddock. She was very calm and accepting, and she's already got the hang of moving across into the shafts to manouever the cart! Clever little horse :bgrin

Latest posts

Back