Another dog attack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG - another dog attack. This is just horrible and my heart goes out to the owner of the minis. I am so glad that the dog was caught and killed - any dog that even remotely thinks about chasing livestock should be removed!!!

I was talking to a lady in Wisconsin that I bought some horses from - she had sold a mare and newborn foal to someone close to her. She got a call late last week that the foal had been killed by a coyote - there were 2 mares and 2 foals in the paddock together. I told her that she should let the new owner know that there have been so many cases of dogs doing the killing as usually a coyote would kill for food - not leave the carcass. I would suspect a dog in this instance as well.

We had an older border collie that went after a weanling during a cold winter. The dog was well fed and had worked cattle in her younger life. She bit the hind leg of the filly - quite badly. The next day the dog was put down - no question about it.

We all need to be so careful with dogs - I love dogs very much - but as others have posted - most dogs do not mix with the minis very well.

In FL it is legal to shoot dogs that are attacking your livestock. If you don't want to actually kill them..... buy a good paintball gun and let them have it preferabbly with frozen paintballs. My friend lost a beautiful little jr stallion 3 years ago to a dog attack, they dug into his stall in the barn, skipped all the other horses but went after him. The attornies said that the owners didn't own anything and they were losing their residence so there was nothing they could get from them. They didn't even offer an apology, and this wasn't the first offense for these dogs, however they were put to sleep.

My condolances to all who have lost critters in this manner.

Karen

That's such a shame and terrible news! But I am going to say it time and time again, miniature horses and dogs don't mix! Period. I don't care what size dogs or beloved family pets. ANY dog can become a killer when it comes to miniatures. Neighbors don't keep their dogs up? FENCE your horses so the dogs can't get IN!
That would have to SOME fencing. Any dog bent on getting in will find a way - better fencing just makes it harder. I have 4 rail fence on the outside with the bottom rail being only about 8" off the ground. My little stud was also inside a pipe round pen with boards all around the bottom rails (except the gate); last year when a dog (part pit) "got away" from his owner. This dog had to go thru both fences to get to my little guy. Although his owner was able to get him back with only a little damage to my stud, it still worried me for kids in the neighborhood.

I've since heard that the dog died possibly from someone posioning him. The whole thing is unfortunate.

So sorry for your loss these little horses. It's heart rending!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bumping this up since it has made it to the front page of the DeSoto Sun and also to the news on TV. Thanks for all the support - I've been sending the topics to Kristy.

Barbie

So sorry to hear about your friend. I think of my attack last week every second. The colt will never be the same and neither will I. I use to be a big dog lover and now I don't want any around my home. I have a few little terriers and that is all I will have from here on out. My fear of the neighbors pits attacking my horses done me in. Now if I see one come this way, if it looks cross at my horses it is history.

Latest posts

Back