Another dog attack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbie

Reaction score
Hi all-

When will it end? There was another dog attack last night - this one in Arcadia, FL. Four beautiful minis are dead. Two of the dead were weanlings purchased from Kristy at Island Miniatures. The other two were a stallion and mare. They got the dog that did it as he was guarding his kill when George went out to feed. It was a hog dog and took 3 bullets to die. Thank God they got the dog. I just shudder to think what those wonderful horses went through.

I know this pales in comparison to the sadness that has been on this board lately, but if you can come up with a prayer for these great people I know it would be appreciated. Frank, George, Diane and Cindy are new in minis - what an awful experience.

Kristy needs prayers too as she lost her beautiful Rose on the 4th of July from colic. She had had her for nine years and is heartbroken. Rose was the mother of Kristy's stallions Temptation and Tobago and my pretty yearling filly, Diva. Also, when she went out to feed this morning, something (probably a bobcat) had gotten her duck, Scooter, who was in a pen. How much can someone take? :no:

Thanks for reading - and thanks for any good thoughts or prayers you can send these people's way.

Barbie
default_sad.png

Oh my, how horrible!
default_sad.png
I'm so very sorry for all, I am just speechless, trying to imagine losing four horses to a dog attack, OMG.

I think that we all need to put our heads together and try to figure out a way to keep this sort of thing from happening. Well, the only thing that COULD is if people would contain their dogs, grrr!!!

I was just at Kristy's place last Monday! That's absolutely terrible! I couldn't believe it when I read this :no: I was looking at her Mare Islands Candyman's Kyra and her gelding Islands VooDoo. Please keep us updated, Kristy cares so much about her beloved little horses I can't imagine what she must be going through.I'll be praying for her and her horses.

Of course we will send prayers their way! Every loss and sadness is worthy of our whole hearted support.

There's no comparrison of course to the horrible tragedies of the last few weeks but each loss results is agony and pain for those involved.

So sincere sympathy to them and sadness at their loss! AND anger at what those dear horses went through! Carl and I Winter a couple months in Bradenton and we venture to Arcadia once in a while on our drives through the country.

Bless you ,

Maxine and Carl
default_wub.png
:

Just so unbelievable that our best friends ( Dogs ) are now becoming killers.

Thinking of them and so sorry for their lost
default_pray.gif
:

That is just so sad. I didn't know what a "Hog Dog" was so I looked it up. It seems to be any breed mixed with pit bull, mastiff, and other fighting type dogs and are used to hunt and attack to the death wild pigs. I personally think this is terrible! I don't get why people like to see dogs kill other animals. With all the attack on non-hunted livestock, you would think the owners of such dogs would be careful not to let the dogs run off. I guess not.

I am so sorry for those minis and your loss. I know that being attacked by dogs would be a terrifying way to die. :no:

That is indeed terrible news. My heart goes out to them. Poor little ones!

Gotta add this because it's been bugging me. When I posted a few months ago about my GS who chases and nips at my mini's, I was practically lynched. Was highly criticized for just mentioning having him put down. But when someone has an injury because of them it's a totally different story. Go figure!!!

Not throwing stones at anyone on this thread - I just don't understand it.

That's such a shame and terrible news! But I am going to say it time and time again, miniature horses and dogs don't mix! Period. I don't care what size dogs or beloved family pets. ANY dog can become a killer when it comes to miniatures. Neighbors don't keep their dogs up? FENCE your horses so the dogs can't get IN!

Thanks for all your responses, prayers and good wishes.

Just to make it clear - this dog did not belong to Frank!!! I was at Frank's Friday and he has good fence and everything is new and well constructed. I think the dog dug its way in. Frank has NO dogs running with the horses. These dogs are trained by idiots to bring down wild hogs and other large animals - also are used in fighting I believe. If I had my way, they would be extinct!

Barbie

Do they know who the dog belongs to? If not they should put some ads uip saying "found" and nothing else. See if anyone comes forward and if they do I would sue them in court. Dog owners must be held responsible for the behaviour of their dogs when they are left to wander around!!! Oh this makes my blood boil.!!!!

This is just awful! I will keep them in my prayers

I am so sorry! What an awful thing. I agree, they should post "found" notices & see if the owner will come forward, then go after him for the value of the lost horses. I realize that doesn't compensate for the loss of the poor horses, but the dog owner should have to pay.

Appylover, I don't get your comparison at all. On one hand you were letting your own dog chase & nip your minis (sorry, I don't remember the post so I don't know the details, just going by your post on this thread). In this case someone else's dog killed these horses and thankfully that dog is now dead. Believe me, if the owner of this hog dog were to come on here, he would get chewed out but good.

That has to be everyones nightmare!! Poor folks and poor horses. We are more in central florida but our back 10 acres is pretty much lakes and woods with more of the same on adjoining property. We have seen coyotees here but never had them harm anything. However one side of Our back fence has been taken down as a neighbor is having a lake dug, they needed the room to maneuver. While the fence has been down in 1 night something got out 2 adult big geese. They were just gone except we found feathers and a trail of feathers. Then at dark a couple days later Paul saw a strange dog at the back of our lakes and it ran off over where the fence was down. It was just about totally dark out so he lost it but it looks like it was most likely more than 1 dog that got them. U just never know!

I just talked to Kristy - she said her life will never be the same after what she saw today. She is afraid she'll have nightmares for a long time to come. Apparently the dog jumped the fence to get in and killed the stallion and mare first - then jumped the fence between pastures and killed the two weanlings. They feel he was resting before escaping when George went out there and found the devastation. It sounds like the law will follow up on this awful attack a/k/a murders. All of the little ones have now been laid to rest. The dog's body was taken for testing. This has certainly been a bad year for dog attacks.

Barbie :-(

The whole thing is just heartbreaking........Wish I knew what to say to make things better. Words just don't cut it.

MA

I am so very sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers are with Kristy and her family.

Ginny StP

I just can't imagine going out to that type of carnage. My heart is breaking for the owners and your friend Kristi. We've had problems with dogs in our area too. I had to get on the bad side of a neighbor that wouldn't fence his dog in and it started chasing my goats(couldn't get in with the mini's). I finally told him if I caught the dog at it again I would shoot him. He got rid of the dog......but I don't think he likes me much anymore. It's so hard when people just won't contain their animals.....and it's always the animals that end up suffering.

That is horrible I am so sorry for there loss.

I think we just need to remember that bottom line minis and any dog dont match period perhaps due strictly to there size. We have fourm members who have had trusted long time LGD attacking there own herd as well
default_sad.png

I am so sorry for the loss of the precious minis and the broken hearts of the owners. I just don't know how I would make it if this happened to my colts. They are my world and loved so much. I don't know what more we can do. I hate keeping my boys in so much but I just can't let them out when I don't have an eye on them. When our new home is finished I will be able to see them all the time when they are out.

Love to you all that had this horrible loss.

FLFlyingW East coast FL

Latest posts

Back