another cold weather question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
Seems like I can keep everything warm but my hands at feeding time. Can anyone suggest some that are easy to work in, but still keep your hands warm. Thanks

Seems like I can keep everything warm but my hands at feeding time. Can anyone suggest some that are easy to work in, but still keep your hands warm. Thanks
Good question!!! I want to know too, I have gloves that are easy to work in and my fingers fall off and then I have warm gloves that make it impossible to do anything!!!

I just got some gloves over the weekend from Tractor supply. The brand is Schmidt work wear. They are kinda bulky, but this morning it was 23F outside and all the water tanks were frozen. My hands never got cold nor did they get wet when I stuck my hands inside the water to pull out the chunks of ice. I dont have any problem working with them. I love them!

When it gets cold, I layer gloves like I layer clothes. I start with a pair of the cheap stretchy ones I get at most any dollar store. Sometimes I will wear two pair of them or sometimes I will use the brown jersey gloves. If the jersey gloves are too big, I wash and dry them and they shrink. This combo usually gives me all the flexability I need. I can open lead hooks with them on. I have latex gloves that I will put over them when I need to get ice chuncks out of the water tanks. I have lots of gloves around here. That way I don't have to worry if a pair gets wet. I just take them off and reach in my pocket for a dry pair. Wet gloves will kill your hands.

Something that works for me is wearing a pair of surgical gloves under my regular gloves. They are thin and flexible. YOu can get your hands wet, then put your dry gloves back on.

But I might check out those Schmidt ones.

Someone on Facebook just mentioned a product called "Seal Skinz" that are supposed to be 100% waterproof and warm to boot. I'm going to check them out as with Spyder's soupy feed I spend a lot of time taking off my leather gloves so they don't get ruined by the hose.
default_sad.png
Cold, cold, cold!

Leia

Layers -- I've heard that silk glove liners are great, but naturally enough I've yet to purchase them! I wear my lightweight yet warm Foxgloves with thinsulate ski gloves on top. I've also worn the cheapo one-size grocery store knit gloves underneath, and that works pretty well.

My hands still freeze, but that's due to lousy circulation. If I could just avoid touching metal -- gates, bucket handles, etc. -- yeah, right!

My home office is also a sunroom, with two window walls...it is so cold, even with the heater blasting, that I have to wear my Foxgloves indoors. They are fantastic -- very warm but light, allowing great dexterity (almost good enough to type, but not quite...brrrr...).

I got a pair of gloves yesterday, the brand I believe is "Zero" they were about $7.50. It said they were waterproof, but I questioned it because they were clothlike. Well, lastnight in 23 degree weather I got to try them out, they are thin so you don't have to take them off to give hay rations and undo clasps, big plus, they were amazingly water proof, they must have an inner layer, where they got damp on the outside, they stuck to metal, but my fingers stayed nice and dry. I was out for about an hour and as long as I was moving my hands stayed warm while doing chores. I wouldn't buy them to play in the snow, but they are a good warm pair of chore gloves.

Their only downfall, the outer fabric is a sort of short nap fleecy fabric and they get dusty right away, but hey, I'll deal with the dust and dirt.

If anyone is interest, I'll dig out the tags and post the company's info, just let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I *finally* found my size in the gloves I've been drooling over at our feed store.

They are made of deerskin and fleece lined. I've had them for a week now. We had temps in the low teens this morning and these gloves worked perfectly! I've also messed around with water while having them on and my hands stayed dried. Now, I doubt I could dip my hands in a water bucket, but getting sloshed on was not a problem.

I bought a pair of Carhart gloves two years ago and they are fantastic. Keep my hands warm here in Minnesota, I can work in them and they hold up really well. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

They are red and black, not the leather ones.

I have about 4 pair of lined gloves I switch out as they get wet/dirty, all washable. I've seen some gloves advertised this year that I'm going to try - waterproof, warm....not cheap. I love goatskin gloves for moderate weather but they don't do much in the cold or wet. I have resorted to ski gloves, warm but bulky.

Jan

After all these years of winter chores--I keep going back to the one size fits all.
default_wacko.png
I just bought six more pairs for $3--they seems thicker than usual.
default_rolleyes.gif
They're not warm enough for sure... but I can keep several pairs in my pockets, double up, and change them quickly when needed. I'd do a happy dance if I found a great pair of gloves--warm and flexible. I keep looking...but they're all too bulky.

I have a couple pair of the one size fits all stretchy gloves over those I wear the garden type gloves that have the waterproof palm and fingers. Thru this my hands have stayed toasty warm and with these I have been able to get keys from my pockets and unlock doors. There hasn't been a reason yet that I've needed to take them off. I have little hands so I have to buy the youth gloves normally. This cracks up my daughter, little hands, little head I had to buy a youth cowboy hat. Even my stupid stocking cap becomes too large after a day of wear. And yes little feet also. I figure it is Gods joke. Short arms and short legs.

[SIZE=14pt]I am hoping I won't need my gloves again this winter.[/SIZE]

Carolyn-

Can you post the info on your gloves? I may live in FL, but my hands always get cold even with gloves. Seems like I can get enough layers on my body, but never my hands.

Stay warm!!

Barbie

I have some Tomahawk gloves from mountain horse, their not bad, i can operate pretty much everything while wearing them, halters, gates, etc.. the only downside is their not waterproof so you you do have to be mindful when handling water. The material their made from is sort of slick so the shavings and hay don't stick to them, they just brush off.

My biggest issue is i have small hands so alot of the gloves are much to large and my hands quit working in the cold
default_wacko.png
so i have to wear something.

Two years ago I found some reusable hot packs. They are about 3" across and contain a gel with a little metal disc inside. I just flex the disc and it causes a reaction that heats up the gel. They stay warm about an hour, plenty of time to do my chores usually. Unless the mares get out to party of course . . . ! I keep them in each pocket and if my hands get too cold when I have to take my gloves off, a quick dip in my pocket warms my fingers up. Then I bring them in and put them in boiling water until they turn back into gel. I found them at a kiosk at the mall, sorry don't know the name.

Latest posts

Back