Another coat color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to send in the papers to get this guy registered and I'm having a hard time deciding on his color. I think I would call him a dun, but the breeder said he was a dun/buckskin. What should I put on the papers. Also he looks like he has white strips up the back of the legs. I'm new to minis.

Dudley before clipping

DunRight14Mar10.jpg

Dudley after clipping

Dudleyleftsideview2.jpg

Back of legs

Dudleybackofbacklegs.jpg

Thanks for your help.

What are the colors of his parents?

Just looking at him an the bit of info you've given, I also think he looks like a Dun. Does he have any kind of line on his back?

He reminds me very much of a filly we owned years ago who proved to be Gulla. (Dun)

Last edited by a moderator:
His sire is black and his dam is a dun. He does have a line down his back.

dudleyrear3.jpg

Definitely black and dun going on there! He also looks like he has silver going on. Looks identical in color to a silver grulla filly I used to have. I would definitely register him as grullo.

You could have him tested for cream and agouti, but I think he looks grulla (black dun). I don't see silver, but I do see "frosting" that is often associated with dun.

I agree with dun/grullo. You could see if he has the cream gene additionally which would make him a buckskin dun.

Andrea

having a whole family of grullas he looks just like them I would say he's grullla. Ours all have that lighter brownish look to their winter coat, then shed/clip out to the grey color with the dark dorsal stripe. Ours all have the white pin stripe down the back of their legs and atleast 1 has a white pin stripe down the underside of their belly.

Karen

Latest posts

Back