Another clipper thread...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutlawStyle

Reaction score
I know this has been brought up a few times on here, but my $30 clippers have finally given up on me after all the torture I put them through (never before clipped mares, thick & wooly babies & my big horse stepping on them.. good clippers lol) so I am searching for some new ones, and I'd like to know what works best for those extremely thick coats? I'd prefer under the $200 range.

Also the main reason I'm posting this instead of doing more research (& I haven't seen this asked yet).. has anyone tried Sheep clippers? If so is there any reason I shouldn't try those? I have gone through quite a few clippers, and I'm starting to think they just aren't made for the mini hair. My friends lambs coat is kinda like my colts so it got me thinking..
default_smile.png

And since I hate posting threads without pictures.. this is why I'm in a big hurry to find some clippers.

My old ones left Thunderpants looking kinda funny. He's still cute though.

563600_2959756276270_1332438081_32183819_1758715035_n.jpg

The sheep clippers have a few disadvantages - (note: sheep clippers can actually be used on horses, the only difference is the blade used - there are special sheep shearing blades). Even if you use the "horse" blades, the large Clipmaster clippers (the ones also used as sheep shears) are extremely heavy, bulky, and have far too much vibration to clip the finer areas of the horse (legs, face, etc.). I have a set that I use on my big horses on the body only to body clip, and when I first got my minis thought they would work. And they did for the main boday - neck, barrell, and rump, for the firrst clip of the year. BUT, the horses hated them, they heated up very quickly, the blades were VERY expensive ($20.00 for each, the top and bottom blade), the vibration was horrible, the noise was worse, and it's almost impossible to get a nice clip without clipper marks. They're hard to use because they are so big in comparison to the size of the horse, and difficult to maneuver around the animal.

I still use them on my biggies for full body clips, but I no longer use them on my minis.

Thank you
default_smile.png
I will pass on them then. I already have problems with my hands so the extra vibrating may be a problem.

I have problems with my hands also and we are clipping 34 mini/ponies this spring and some look a lot worse than your guy. The best clippers I have found so far--to do the body and larger areas--is the double K clippers, but they are sort of pricey. The ones I use for heads and legs and corners ect are the andis agc clippers with the #10 blade. If you take care and change the blades when they get hot, you can clip a long time with them and they are easy on my hands. They are about $150 with free shipping from jeffersequine. We have 4 sets of the andis at this time and about 30 sets of blades to get all those done. When we both clip at the same time--which is often--we can get the messy long winter hair off of two horses in about 1 1/2 hours. they aren't pretty and need a bath before the final clip, but still unfuzzed. We are down to 10 1/2 to get done yet. (yes we have one 1/2 done--ran out of patience--LOL)

I'm planning on buying Double K clippers someday when I get more serious in showing. For now I don't think I really need them for smaller shows.
default_smile.png
I'll look into Andis clippers.

34 minis to be clipped sounds like heaven to me. lol There is nothing I love more then seeing the difference between a fuzzy mini & a clipped mini.

If you only have one or two minis to defuzz, the Wahl KM2s work pretty good. They are the first clippers I bought after getting minis, and they defuzzed my first mini just fine; and they do a fine job of touch-ups. [i bought a set of Clipmasters after adding more minis to the herd, as they do get rid of hte fuzz on a dirty woolie mini. And, then I use the Wahls to clean up the clipjob.] I did have a set of cheap Oster clippers for bridle paths and such on the saddle hroses, but they didn't have a prayer of clipping mini winter woolies (I sold them cheap to a dog groomer before I wrecked them clipping woolies).

I have 8 minis, but only 6 get fully body clipped every year (1 or 2 times depending on how their coat comes back).

They all get face & neck clipped all year & I'll be keeping my show string trace clipped all year for now on so I can watch their bellies more carefully.
default_smile.png
So I really want some good clippers.

I'm planning on buying Double K clippers someday when I get more serious in showing. For now I don't think I really need them for smaller shows.
default_smile.png
I'll look into Andis clippers.

34 minis to be clipped sounds like heaven to me. lol There is nothing I love more then seeing the difference between a fuzzy mini & a clipped mini.
LOL--Wish you lived closer, you sure could help. Each year seems to get harder. Last couple of years, we had some help. This year, the help seems to have disappeared and it is just Dave and me. Sure does go fast when there are 4 clippers going at one time or at least 4 people to switch off on 3 horses and keep the hair cleaned up. It is neat to see what is underneath.

I would LOVE Double K's......someday! Right now I am pretty happy with my ACG Andis. They get the job done! I keep a cold pack handy to keep the blade cool. Think I ordered mine through horse.com. Good luck.

I started to clip my boy today with our dinky little Oster A5 and it's a nightmare. 6 blades, 2 of them brand new, 3 freshly sharpened and 1 I should just throw out and all I got done was his head. Am ready to throw everything out and fork out my savings for something that will work!

Are there any other tips to getting a good clip on these little guys? There must be other hints & tricks to make this frustratingly slow, hairy job easier

I started to clip my boy today with our dinky little Oster A5 and it's a nightmare. 6 blades, 2 of them brand new, 3 freshly sharpened and 1 I should just throw out and all I got done was his head. Am ready to throw everything out and fork out my savings for something that will work!

Are there any other tips to getting a good clip on these little guys? There must be other hints & tricks to make this frustratingly slow, hairy job easier
I had the same thoughts the last couple of weekends when I was clipping. I've finally concluded that my A5's are really not good enough for the initial "de-fuzzing" clip. I'm on the hunt for a better set that will still use my blades as I've got a ton invested in those puppies!

Latest posts

Back