Another "Buyer Beware" Story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
A friend of mine purchased a nice, bred mare at an auction back in the fall. She has good bloodlines and is 32.5". This mare was pasture bred to a decent, 28" stallion, so my friend was expecting a nice, small foal. Late last night, she was obviously in labour so my friend went in to assist. The legs started coming and coming.... and then the head started coming and coming..... It had such a long head and the mare was having great difficulty, so it's a good thing she had help. And then the ears started coming and coming.... and, you probably guessed by now, she has a little donkey baby!! LOL!!
default_new_shocked.gif
A mini mule, actually. It's perfectly healthy, cute as a button, and quite correct "AS MULES GO!", my friend exclaimed! LOL!!! She plans to sell it as soon as it's weaned, but I teased her that she'll probably get so attached, she'll never let it go! Thankfully, both mother and baby are fine, but what an April Fool's Day this turned out to be!
default_laugh.png
(It turns out that the farm that sold this mare had all manner of horses, ponies and donkeys running together at pasture. The husband, who was the one most interested in the animals, passed away some time ago which left his widow to look after them. One can only speculate whether she knew the donkey could breed the mares. Obviously the AMHR breeders certificate that came with the mare will be useless now.)

Awww, I want to see pics! I bet the foal (are mule babies called foals too?) is adorable. Sorry to hear that the owner didn't get the registerable foal they expected. You never do know what you're going to get from an auction I guess!

I had a similar thing happen to me except it was an unregistered riding mare. In March 1973 bought a nice trail horse from a reputable dealer and then didn't notice her coming into heat. The dealer said she wasn't bred but she came from the midwest, so how could he really know? Anyway, I said all along that with my luck (those of you on here know about that right?) if she was pregnant she would have a mule. And sure enough, she foaled in late November, outside and unattended, and the first thing I checked was the ears!! They had frost in them the next morning, but that colt was the healthiest foal I will likely ever encounter. Plus VERY cute.

My kids would LOVE to have a mini mule. Shame she doesn't live closer! Glad to hear the mare and babe are fine though.
aktion033.gif

Something to keep in mind is that when you purchase at an auction, it is always a gamble. Sometimes you can get a fabulous buy and sometimes you get stuck. You have got to be willing to accept the possibility of disappointment.

I LOVE auctions. Now, I'm talking about established Miniature Auctions, not just general auctions. For the seller, it is an opportunity to get a sampling of what they produce out in public view. For the buyer, it is an opportunity to see a wide variety of horses all in one place and choose between them. I have bought several horses at auction and never regretted a one. I do however tend to buy horses from breeders/sellers that I already know.

I am very glad to hear mom and long ears are doing well. I, too, wish I lived closer so I could go snuggle the baby!

I just think its a great story
default_new_shocked.gif
and toally made me
default_biggrin.png
smile and chuckle out loud.

The best April fool ever....and hope she is okay with her long eared foal.
default_517.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd like, pmail me the pics and I'll post them.

Yes I would have been so surprized I would have exclaimed too! And it probably would not have been just "Wow" either, LOL! The birth date was very appropriate!!

"Pmail"?? Sorry, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Can I Email the pics to you? At least I know how to do that much! lol

Hi Judy, That means "Private Mail" or "Private Message." It's an option here through the board. At the top of your screen, over on the right by where you sign in. One option is to message another member of the forum.
default_yes.gif

I forwarded the photos to Joy (Wingnut), and I'll be very grateful if she posts them.

"April Mule's Day" HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back