Amhr will not recognize breeding.... so no papers!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
I know nothing will change by my sharing this, but today I decided to call amhr .... and they still won't give papers on my soleil since she was born before her mom was the age of 3. (I totally understand/ that's an important rule).

This next part kills me!!!! They went on to say I could have Soleil hardshipped into amha THEN I can have her registered into amhr.

Such a game!

(She foaled in 2007, and I originally purchased soleil when she was 3 months old...and when I went to submit registration application, I was surprised to learn they would not "recognize her" ). I was so disappointed. She is from quality show horse bloodlines too.

Just a little frustrated by all this....but I have to look at the bright side: I still have a wonderful little horse. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is a racket, but I must say I understand why they will not register her,unfortunately it is a costly issue for you. I thought the AMHA wouldn't hardship......? It's been a long time for me, maybe someone else could chime in on that one. If you purchased your mini directly from a breeder and they did not disclose the info,I feel this is an instance that seperates good breeders from those that are substandard, regardless of the number of foals they breed for. Accidents do sometimes happen, but it is how the breeder proceeds that makes all the difference. IMHO, even taking a foal to a sale and knowing it is unregisterable, but sending along the paperwork to make a potential buyer have the false hope of being able to register a foal is poor business practice also (first and foremost in a sale, it is always buyer beware).

Actually, you just need to wait until the Dam reaches her 3rd birthday, then you can register the offspring. The foal may be older, which I believe is an increased registration fee, but it is much more affordable than hardshipping her into AMHA first. Which would be impossible, she must be 3 before she can be hardshipped and 2013 is the last year for hardshipping.

No, the wording is something to the effect that the sire and dam must both have reached their actual 3rd birthday within the foaling year. If the foal is born during the 2 year old year of one parent that foal is not eligible for registration--ever.

It does seem silly that you can do AMHA hardship and then obtain R papers, but hardship registration is outside the scope of that particular rule. After the end of this year that will no longer be an option, since AMHA hardship closes at the end of December.

Your Soleil was born in 2007, is that what you are meaning? If so then she would be AMHA hardship eligible now if she is 34" or under, but you are on limited time on that one.

Thank you all, for your replies. I told amhr that she's over 34" so that's not possible anyway. Both parents are amhr. My main shock was hearing the lady from amhr say they could register her amhr IF I have her hardshipped with amha first. I wish they could just honor her with her papers to begin with.....Seems weird to say no because of their rule, only to allow it from another standpoint.

According to amhr...Her dam was brought perm, her sire is still temp status. Soleil was born April 2007. Plus, I learned both sire and dam are STILL in my name.

So--if Soleil was born in April '07 just a month or two before her dam turned 3 that should have been okay--as long as the dam has her actual 3rd birthday in the foaling year it isn't supposed to matter if she foals before that date --as long as she foals on or after Jan 1st of that same year. It would only be a problem if she foaled during her 2 year old year. Who did you talk to at AMHR? I wonder if someone was misunderstanding the meaning of the rule?

However--if the sire was never brought permanent that may be a problem now?

I don't see it being a problem either. All horses turn a year older on Jan. 1st. So if the horse was born on the year the mother and father turned 3 then that baby should be eligible for registration. BUT, both parents must be brought permanent before that foal can be registered so if the sire isn't permanent then your horse cannot be registered. But I don't see an issue on when it was born to make it not eligible for registration, just got to get the sire permanent.

You need to call again. She should be eligible to be registered as the rule states that they must have reached their third birthday as of Jan 1st. What is the dam's birthdate?

I would have gladly paid fees bringing sire perm status,( and what not) to get soleil her amhr papers. After the response from many of you, I had my hopes up so I called again. Just got off phone with Ruthann of amhr to learn dam's date of birth....dam actually turned 3 in 2008!!! Thus, I have no hope in ever getting my soleil registered with AMHR (in the traditional manner). I'm still amazed at amhr saying Soliel can be amhr IF I hardship her into amha first. Wow.

I totally understand the purpose of this rule as some just don't care about breeding young mares "babies having babies" . In our case, this was never a planned breeding! I didn't own her sire and dam at the time of breeding...I sold them to someone who kept her minis in pasture land. When soleil was born, I purchased her and when I went to register her with amhr, they couldn't recognize the breeding because of dam's age.

The good news is I have record of her sire and dam's heritage....(Painted Sun's Fire And Ice X Painted Sun's Snow Cloud). Plus, her colorful background includes Sonoita Spellcasters Fire And Ice, X-Calibers Spellcaster, Freeman Hills Masquerade, Pecan Groves Remarkable Marketta, Lucky Four Apache Double Take, La Vista's Remarkables Remarkable, and goes back to Kegley, Komoko, Soats, NFC, Dell Terra, and Rowdy bloodlines! :)

Thank you again for your comments!

AMHR is also kind of weird about the Jan. 1st birthday. I had a colt that had not been registered AMHR yet and I asked about when I send in to have him registered about the additional fee to bring perm as he technically turned 3 on the 1st- they told me to wait until his actual birthday and send in the paperwork and I wouldn't have to pay the additional fee as he would be registered as perm then. I think they use it to their discretion, not ours...

Permanent application must be made on or after the actual birthday so cannot be done as of January 1st

I think they were to trying to be nice in telling you about the AMHA route. AMHR is a closed registry and both registries are strict in their policies. The only way to get her registered with AMHR is to hardship her into AMHA ane then register her into AMHR using the A papers. So they were trying to tell you the route to take. Always rough to have an unregistered animal due to someone's ignorance. I'm personally really glad AMHR does not accept registration of offspring born to a sire or dam under 3. Glad Soliel has found a great home with you now

I had someone look up Soleil's dam--I am told that she was foaled in 2005, so she was in fact just a 2 year old when she gave birth to Soleil. Under the current rule (and this rule was in effect in 2007 as well) a foal born to a 2 year old mare is not eligible for AMHR registration. So, regardless of the status (permanent or temporary/expired) status of the sire's papers, Soleil cannot be registered. The office gave you the correct information.

I could register pinto! Thanks for the reminder :) Plus, amhr have always been wonderful to deal with and I trust their advice. I know they are always helpful, especially Ruthann :) It just hurt to hear they will not honor one way, yet would in another. Okay, thanks again for the comments and advice! I do love this mare, she has a safe and wonderful home with us...that is most important. :)

I had someone look up Soleil's dam--I am told that she was foaled in 2005, so she was in fact just a 2 year old when she gave birth to Soleil. Under the current rule (and this rule was in effect in 2007 as well) a foal born to a 2 year old mare is not eligible for AMHR registration. So, regardless of the status (permanent or temporary/expired) status of the sire's papers, Soleil cannot be registered. The office gave you the correct information.

Well, fudge. What a bummer.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back