AMHR stallion rules

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
I was told that AMHR requires stallions to be three years of age and permanently registered before they begin breeding.

EDIT: I just searched and found a thread from January that answered my question...sorry, jumped the gun. But, let me make sure I understand.

Cruiser will be two in May and I was planning on breeding him this summer for 2007 foals. Depending on the mares estrus and his ability, the foals will be born perhaps in April, May, or June of his third year. He will be three or real close to it when the foals hit the ground. As long as I bring him to permanent before registering any foals, these foals will be registerable, right?

Thanks,

Stacye

Last edited by a moderator:
You can breed your stallion, the foals just can't be registered until he is officially 3 and is pernament registered. Not sure if you can breed yearlings or not.

The rules changed in '05; 2 year old stallions may be used for breeding. Foals can be born in the stallion's 3 year old year (before his actual 3rd birthday is fine) but cannot be registered until after the stallion's papers are brought permanent. I don't have the '05 rulebook, but it's my understanding that this "new" rule was not clearly stated in the '05 rulebook.

Up until the end of 2004 foals could be registered even if the sire wasn't permanent registered. You could even register a foal born during the stallion's 2 year old year. Up until then the only age restriction was on breeding fillies less than 2 years of age. That's all changed, so now if a yearling colt gets out and breeds a mare, the resulting foal is ineligible for registration.

You will be okay using your 2 year old stallion for breeding this year.

This may get buried and need another thread, but AMHA allows any age, right? That is the way I read the rulebook, and it was supported by one of the posts I read from the January topic. I think it said that if the parent(s) measure over at the age of five no offspring will be registerable after that...

Stacye

I'm glad this was posted, because I heard about it! My stallion turned 2 Friday, and I want to breed him to my mare as soon as she'll let him, but I wasn't sure what to do if the baby was born before his third birthday! So, as it stands now, I can breed him, I just have to wait to register the foal until after April 7 (his 3rd bday) and he goes permanent, right?

Jessi

Latest posts

Back