AMHR Papers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the AMHR registry
default_517.gif
and now have to transfer over 8 horses lol and I am confused
default_wacko.png

Do I have to send pictures with every horse that I transfer because it sounds to me that I dont unless they are new registerations or dont currently have pictures on there papers. I have been with AMHA so long I think that I have to send pictures with everyone.

Could someone please help me see the light
default_blush.png
default_please.gif

You are correct. If you have papers with the markings drawn on on line drawings, you have to send pictures. If you have papers with pictures, you do not have to send pictures.
default_smile.png
New registrations require pictures.

Ditto what Lewella said, other than to add, that if any have foal pictures on their papers and are of the permanent age (over 3), you'll need updated pictures.

I've been a member of AMHR for years and years and years, and I was going to ask this exact same question. The rules for photos seem to keep changing with them, and the forms from the registry have conflicting information too. I was ready to send off a lease termination form, and the registry had sent me the form, but it said on it to send pictures with it, when on the "photo requirements" page on the website says what Lewella and Double T said. It's so confusing!

Oh, forgot to ask-- do we have to request (and pay for) the new "permanent" pics for the papers going from temp to perm? Does the registry just leave the foal pics on the papers otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to send photos in for any registrations if the papers already have them, even if they are foal photos.

I've been a member of AMHR for years and years and years, and I was going to ask this exact same question. The rules for photos seem to keep changing with them, and the forms from the registry have conflicting information too. I was ready to send off a lease termination form, and the registry had sent me the form, but it said on it to send pictures with it, when on the "photo requirements" page on the website says what Lewella and Double T said. It's so confusing!

Oh, forgot to ask-- do we have to request (and pay for) the new "permanent" pics for the papers going from temp to perm? Does the registry just leave the foal pics on the papers otherwise?

If you are bringing a horse permanent, there is no cost to send in updated pictures, other than the cost of bringing the horse permanent, but no, no extra for the pictures. They want them, to see what the grown horse looks like. But I do know on the forms they'll tell you that you have to send in new pictures, everytime something on their papers change, such as new ownership or whatnot. BUT when I called and asked, I was told that unless there is a color change, or that they have the drawings rather than pictures, or they have foal pictures and need to be permanent, you don't have to send in more pictures. Their object is have pictures of each horse in their system. And I can understand the grown horse ones, considering how much foals change colors growing up.

yay, thanks for the info!
default_smile.png
I had such a tough time with the picture requirements, since initially the horse could be moving, or have its head down, and they kept refining the requirements until my head was just spinning. Basically I ended up just doing pics like AMHA requires, only with a full-front pic instead of just the head shot, and the full rear-view. But I've been sending in pics for every dang thing, and that gets SO old.

So transfers, don't need to send pics either then, if the papers already have them, is that right? Only new registrations? My life may just have become SO much easier!
default_smile.png

Was posting at the same time as you were, Double T, and I agree, horses can look very different as adults than they do as foals, so that makes total sense. Thanks!

l find AMHR so odd with some things...l sent in a temp to perm on a gelding with recent pix all legs showing head no forlock butt end etc took the time and effort cleaning him all up for this...then they leave his baby pix on perm papers...what do they do with recent ones you send in..after all some foals don't look anything like they do at age 3..

Relic, I've been told it's all computerized or filed away? So each horse has it's own file, that they can pull info from. I'd bea bit miffed too if I went to the trouble of getting adult pictures and they left the faol ones on too, don't blame you. I HATE the whole of having to take them, mainly becuase I'm the only one doing it, and I rarely have help to hold the horse, and most of mine, if I squat down to snap a picture come to me, lol. It's a pain sometimes.

Just to clarify--you do not have to send in new pix even when bringing a horse permanent at age 3. If you want to leave the foal photos on the papers, you can do that. Just send in the permanent application and the papers (assuming the papers do have photos on them already) and they will issue the permanent papers with the same foal photos on them.

That's what I've been doing with mine; IMO the photos are pretty much pointless anyway, unless it's a loudly marked pinto, and if foal photos are good for life on the pony papers then they are good for life on the Mini papers as well.

Just to clarify--you do not have to send in new pix even when bringing a horse permanent at age 3. If you want to leave the foal photos on the papers, you can do that. Just send in the permanent application and the papers (assuming the papers do have photos on them already) and they will issue the permanent papers with the same foal photos on them.

That's what I've been doing with mine; IMO the photos are pretty much pointless anyway, unless it's a loudly marked pinto, and if foal photos are good for life on the pony papers then they are good for life on the Mini papers as well.

Not to argue, but I was told different than this, but maybe they've changed it in the last year or so? I guess I'll find out when I bring my one filly perm this year.

Thank you Thank you
default_saludando.gif
this makes things much clearer for me and by the sounds of it a couple of other too, you guys are the best
default_wub.png

Not to argue, but I was told different than this, but maybe they've changed it in the last year or so? I guess I'll find out when I bring my one filly perm this year.
Were you told "must" or just "should" send in new photos? Others have been told "should" which does not mean "must". If you don't send in new photos they most certainly will issue the permanent papers with the same foal photos that were on the temporary papers. I just updated 4 three year olds a month ago and every one of them went in and were issued without new photos. Same thing with the ones I made permanent in 2010.

I sent in an AMHR transfer recently, did not send in new pics as they had pics on the papers. The papers came back with different pics on the papers than what were on when I sent in; and, yes they are of the right horse.

Were you told "must" or just "should" send in new photos? Others have been told "should" which does not mean "must". If you don't send in new photos they most certainly will issue the permanent papers with the same foal photos that were on the temporary papers. I just updated 4 three year olds a month ago and every one of them went in and were issued without new photos. Same thing with the ones I made permanent in 2010.

I was told that I 'had' to, not should or need to, had to, to complete the temp to perm application. I aplogizeif it is different than what others have done, I'm just going on what I was told I had to do to complete the paper work properly and keep from getting them sent back undone.

ETA: this was of course for horses that only had foal pictures on file, and had no adult pictures on file.

None of mine had anything other than foal photos on file either.

Well don't know cause what you've said you've done, is the exact opposite of what the lady in the office told me I had to do. Guess you got a nice one that let stuff slip maybe? Or wasn't wanting a lot of paperwork or something, no idea. LIke I said I'm just going on what I was told by the AMHR office staff.

Just curios how old were your pictures? If less than 6 months they'll use those, I was also told.

I was on the phone Monday with AMHR........asking about photos and permanent status and she said that it was totally up to me. She said that some people like to send in mature photos but that it is not necessary. So, I chose just to leave the foal photos on there. My mare was less than 3 months old in the photos.

My photos were of 3-4 month old foals in most cases, so the photos themselves would have been 3 years old.....foal photos.....now papers brought permanent for 3 year old horses.

The thing is, the lady you get when you phone in probably isn't the one that deals with registrations. So, you get an answer from her that isn't necessarily the rule of the registration department. I'm quite sure that I didn't just 'get a nice person who let it slip' and I also know that I'm not the only one who has left foal photos on permanent papers & had no issues with getting the updated papers.

I didn't bother to phone in to ask--I just read the rules and I think maybe the first time I did it I asked a director if I were right in thinking I didn't need new photos--and so I sent them in & it worked. The photo rules do quite plainly state that no photos are required if the papers already have photos on them.

My photos were of 3-4 month old foals in most cases, so the photos themselves would have been 3 years old.....foal photos.....now papers brought permanent for 3 year old horses.

The thing is, the lady you get when you phone in probably isn't the one that deals with registrations. So, you get an answer from her that isn't necessarily the rule of the registration department. I'm quite sure that I didn't just 'get a nice person who let it slip' and I also know that I'm not the only one who has left foal photos on permanent papers & had no issues with getting the updated papers.

I didn't bother to phone in to ask--I just read the rules and I think maybe the first time I did it I asked a director if I were right in thinking I didn't need new photos--and so I sent them in & it worked. The photo rules do quite plainly state that no photos are required if the papers already have photos on them.

Could of been someone that isn't in the registration department, don't know, I called asked my question and got my answer and followed the rules I was told, papers went through and I got the updated ones back. I do know that at lot of the transferrs and such do state that you have to send in pictures each time the papers change anything, and that isn't what they do either, if they have the pictures on file, you don't have to, that has been proven that what is written isn't always the way it works. I was also told by the person that handles the Champagne registration part of the AHMR that they just want pictures on file, of the horses, and keep them in a file for furture reference. Guess the foal pictures are the same then, or they changed their minds or whatever happened.

I'm sorry you have an issue with it or with me stating I was told different than what you are doing, again, all I said was what I was told over the phone by the AMHR about it. If someone else has done different great and wonderful! I just reported what was told to me to do. I try my best to follow the rule to minimize downtime in getting them back or having to redo them for one reason or another, and if I have a question I'm wondering about I call and ask.

Latest posts

Back