AMHR Membership Directory

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
What's this about no AMHR membership directory now?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee,

The comment given is due to the privacy law.

Karen

I would just like to say..if they aren't going to provide it online, then I wish the registries (AMHA and AMHR) would at least issue the members one every other year or so. That would be nice. I can only speak for myself and I am not a big farm at all..but in catching up my paperwork this year, perms, registrations, DNA, transfers, foal registrations...etc...I have spent $1000 with AMHR and almost $1500 with AMHA. It would just be nice to at least have a membership directory (book/magazine).

You have got to be kidding. Why would anyone join something if they didn't want anyone to know about it? No, I think the computer guy ran away with our membership list.

Without a membership directory that is available to all members, the only value in being a member is a venue with which to register our animals. I have asked that since "confidentiality" is a concern - that members be given the option to be on the list or not on the list (a non-response would indicate a 'no'). As a former breeder, show person and one who has actively researched horses, bloodlines, etc etc etc as well as a web designer for many miniature horse breeders, the directory was a VERY VERY VERY valuable tool for BUYING as well as selling. Now I am forced to rely on my 2004-2005 printed directory....which is pretty much worthless as ---- well, you get the picture. Even though it is terribly out of date, I still refer to it almost daily (and pound my head against the table in frustration)!!!!!

I plan on raising the question when I am at the ASPC/AMHR convention in Little Rock this November. I know that the response I get will be "confidentiality" but there MUST be some way for members to communicate. While listings on Lil Beginnings are helpful, they are just the VERY tiny tip of the iceberg - and do not even begin to encompass the more than 7,000 members.

They did have one on line til this year I think. All other breeds have one.

I got to thinking that maybe there are private people that do not want personal information out there or be on a list. I guess I am so used to trying to get my name and email and telephone out for advertising that it just didn't sink in to me that someone perhaps would not. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Like you Lavern I try to get my name out there as many ways as possible. And to me this is a perk of being a member.

I dont think its an "all or nothing" proposition. Just put a little box on the membership form that says "do you want to be listed on the online membership list" If they check no then leave them off.

Yes ML there was a list like that.

When you went to the home page and clicked on members then clicked on any state on the map it showed you name- address- phone number of all members that are in that state.

I understand the privacy thing but it was a very handy tool to have

Mary Lou--ASPC/AMHR used to do a Directory which listed all members--I first joined AMHR in 2003 and at that time I did receive a directory. It was the only one I ever got so not sure if that was the last one or if there was one after that--it was free from the registry and didn't cost anything for a member to be listed in it. I've still got that directory here somewhere--it can still be useful, even though some of the addresses and phone numbers shown will obviously not be current any more.

I think they quit printing directories once the membership list was put on the website? There was that one Directory they did a few years ago, where people could pay $80 to have a detailed listing put in, and then they got a copy of the book. The members that didn't pay the $80 did get listed, but it was just their name & contact info, and they didn't get a book. I did get to see a friend's directory that time but didn't feel it was worth the $80 to put my detailed listing in & get a copy for myself.

As I mentioned on the other thread a few days ago, I did hear a little while back that since the website can no longer post the member names & contact info ASPC/AMHR is going to go back to printing directories. I don't know if that is really true and if so when that is going to happen--or if it is just a proposal being put forward by the two people that I was told had decided that this should be done.

It would be nice to hear something official if in fact there is going to be a directory printed.

The trouble with having people tick off an 'agree' box for having their name & info posted on the on-line membership list is that so many people would overlook it that the posted list would be very abbreviated. Chances are most of the people that ticked off the box would be those that already have websites or Journal ads and are easy to find anyway. The hard to find ones that don't advertise and don't have websites are the ones we need the list for--and they likely wouldn't bother to mark off the 'agree' box!
default_laugh.png

The trouble with having people tick off an 'agree' box for having their name & info posted on the on-line membership list is that so many people would overlook it that the posted list would be very abbreviated. Chances are most of the people that ticked off the box would be those that already have websites or Journal ads and are easy to find anyway. The hard to find ones that don't advertise and don't have websites are the ones we need the list for--and they likely wouldn't bother to mark off the 'agree' box!
default_laugh.png
That's very true - so I am going to push to have the printed directories again made available - they are a VERY valuable "tool" and I hope the "powers" recognize that!!

Lisa, I never seen that? Never knew they had it.. BUT YES, it would be a privacy issue for sure!! Some people do not want the address & phone number in public unless they asked to be..

We used to have a page with all the members of this web site with their e-mail.. I took it off many years ago because the e-mails were being harvested for spam mail.. Not good...

We at LB are proud to say... we never harvest, give away or sell the e-mail addresses we get from the public pages of this site... Including the thousands of addresses on the Sale Board & Forum here.. There is money to be made in a Miniature Horse E-mail List but that is one thing I will never do..
AMHR would not give out a list of email addresses. I tried getting one and they said you can get names and addresses, but not email addresses (this was last winter)

Latest posts

Back