AMHR/ASPC website...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candi

Reaction score
To me the ASPC/AMHR website is SO confusing and hard-to-navigate!

I'm a member of 8 associations (to date) - and all have membership websites - and all have their issues... BUT - this one takes the cake.

I can't find where to verify registration (for mini or pony). Can't find where there's a list of registration fees, etc...

As a busy trainer and businessman I don't have time to trudge all over a site to find essential information.

Any thoughts? Is there a SIMPLE and EASY navigation that I'm missing?

Honestly with the sites new upgrade IMO its an improvement and I'm sure their are some kinks too it. I think easier navigation could be one of them.

Here is the customers work order form and it lists the prices on everything. You can find it under Forms Online:

http://www.shetlandmini.com/attachments/article/72/CustWk.doc

Their are 2 ways to verify registration. 1 is thru the Studbook Online:

http://results.shetlandminiature.com/studbook/

Or you can contact AMHR:

http://www.shetlandmini.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=59

All of this you can find at the links on the left. IMO its not hard to find, but their are alot of links too look at.

Honestly with the sites new upgrade IMO its an improvement and I'm sure their are some kinks too it. I think easier navigation could be one of them.

Here is the customers work order form and it lists the prices on everything. You can find it under Forms Online:

http://www.shetlandm...e/72/CustWk.doc

Their are 2 ways to verify registration. 1 is thru the Studbook Online:

http://results.shetl...e.com/studbook/

Or you can contact AMHR:

http://www.shetlandm...&id=1&Itemid=59

All of this you can find at the links on the left. IMO its not hard to find, but their are alot of links too look at.
After trying for 10 min to get "another?" registration setup to view the studbook? No time for that. And, you have to EMAIL/CONTACT the registry to see registration info?! I guess coming from the "breed" world - I can get registration (current, etc), all ownership data, show history, breeding, etc ONLINE w/my membership.

And, to have to peruse through all the various forms online. There are a few things that are FAQ of any breed - and registration (ages, costs, etc) are right up there to #2 after membership. Shouldn't have to "look" to find it.

Maybe AMHR/ASPC should checkout the other registries sites - AQHA, APHA, etc and see how to better things. A website's only as good as it's easy to use.

I find it very easy to use. The online forms are easy to find what you need if you look carefully. I don't mind looking. I really like the layout and the are quick to respond to emails. Far as show history goes, go to "Show Results" and click on AMHR results and pick the one you want to see. The HOF Life to date is the only one the you can use to see all of your show horses shows resutls if he/she has HOF points or not. I don't like that. Because what if he/she does not have HOF points what now.

PS. If you use the HOF look up , when you type in the registration number do not put the letter at the end. It will Not work. For ex. 12345A is your horse's reg. Number, type it 12345.

PPS. Not trying to make anyone made our upset just giving my opinion and experiences.
default_yes.gif
No harm ment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it very easy to use. The online forms are easy to find what you need if you look carefully. I really like the layout and the are quick to respond to emails. Far as show history goes, go to "Show Results" and click on AMHR results and pick the one you want to see. The HOF Life to date is the only one the you can use to see all of your show horses shows resutls if he/she has HOF points or not. I don't like that. Because what if he/she does not have HOF points what now.

PS. If you use the HOF look up , when you type in the registration number do not put the letter at the end. It will Not work. For ex. 12345A is your horse's reg. Number, type it 12345.

PPS. Not trying to make anyone made our upset just giving my opinion and experiences.
default_yes.gif
No harm ment.
That's good info on the HOF part ;)

I guess when COMPARED to other registries this site isn't as easy and comprehensive.

I've had several members here PM me that this is a thread that they agree with, but won't reply here - as this will get the "powers that be" ticked at me... Really!?

If "new" blood doesn't come in and make comments, suggestions, etc - esp experienced "new blood" with years of breed showing - what's the point? I'm not bashing AMHR/ASPC - and I'm sure this current version of the website is better than before, but I wasn't "around" for the old version ;)

I find the site pretty easy to use and navigate. The studbook access is I believe 50 bucks a year at which point you get a password and user name and it takes seconds to log into that and find info you would like

The show results page is there for HOF points as has been mentioned as well as points or results from shows the current year

To find all the prices needed for any registry work you simply go to the work order page (listed on the forms online link) and you can find all the prices right there in one place.

Frankly I find it a bit simplier to use and navigate then some other breed sites but I am guessing that is simply cause I am used to this one
default_yes.gif

I find the site pretty easy to use and navigate. The studbook access is I believe 50 bucks a year at which point you get a password and user name and it takes seconds to log into that and find info you would like

The show results page is there for HOF points as has been mentioned as well as points or results from shows the current year

To find all the prices needed for any registry work you simply go to the work order page (listed on the forms online link) and you can find all the prices right there in one place.

Frankly I find it a bit simplier to use and navigate then some other breed sites but I am guessing that is simply cause I am used to this one
default_yes.gif
The only way to know about registrations and ownership is to PURCHASE another "membership"? That is not included with our hefty membership fees?

The old site wasn't as current and UTD as this one, I think it is far better. I agree that the old website had to go so I can't complain about this one. Yes you have to pay to use the StudBook. I agree that I wish AMHR was more member friendly but with the new site, getting a new editor for the Journal and new board hopefully good things are to come with AMHR. We are behind the times, but you must start somewhere and a new website was a good start. We also now finially have a e-newsletter.

The only way to know about registrations and ownership is to PURCHASE another "membership"? That is not included with our hefty membership fees?
I could be wrong but I think it is because AMHR itself does not do the studbook, someone else does it for them, I think that could be the reason why for the fee? Again hopefully that will change in the future.

The old site wasn't as current and UTD as this one, I think it is far better. I agree that the old website had to go so I can't complain about this one. Yes you have to pay to use the StudBook. I agree that I wish AMHR was more member friendly but with the new site, getting a new editor for the Journal and new board hopefully good things are to come with AMHR. We are behind the times, but you must start somewhere and a new website was a good start. We also now finially have a e-newsletter.
I agree! Have to start somewhere ;) Yes, being member-friendly SHOULD be the goal for any MEMBERSHIP driven club. Hopefully, with folks commenting, they'll get w/the times.

well it is not unheard of.. in AMHA you pay for a studbook as well- could things be better of course- can they please everyone - nope

I personally do not find AMHR/ASPC a unfriendly registry to members but hey everyone has their own opinions
default_wink.png

Being a member of AQHA, I also have their website access, HOWEVER. Not everything is free. Yes we get 10 bucks free a month but if you want other stuff beyond that point then you have to pay for it.

Being a member of AQHA, I also have their website access, HOWEVER. Not everything is free. Yes we get 10 bucks free a month but if you want other stuff beyond that point then you have to pay for it.
Yes, you "only" get $10/mo, but can always search pedigrees and ownership and such. Being an AQHA show barn - there are 11 of us members in the barn - and most months we haven't even used a $1 of the free $.

Not sure how much someone would need over the $10/mo - but at least up until then you HAVE access.

Folks need to stepback and not take comments on the website and registry "so personal". It's not an affront on you personally or "your breed".

Comments and suggestions make for a better business, and associations are businesses.

And, to have to peruse through all the various forms online. There are a few things that are FAQ of any breed - and registration (ages, costs, etc) are right up there to #2 after membership. Shouldn't have to "look" to find it.
A bit of familiariety with the registry lets one know that the fees/registration ages/etc are all listed on the work order, which is pretty easy to find on the list of forms--so one can go directly to that work order to check fees--you shouldn't have to look too far to find it.

I suppose we are creatures of habit and automatically look for a title "list of fees" like many other registries do, but I've never had a problem with that page being absent with this particular website--not since those fees are readily found on the work order. Besides being very busy with work, horses and other farm stuff, I also have dial up and a rather slow computer processor so having to do a lot of searching for stuff on some websites is a big problem for me....fortunately the ASPC/AMHR site works quite well & I don't have to hunt much for things on it!
default_biggrin.png

Since you are newer you probably never saw the old site so dont realize that this one is miles better
default_smile.png

The tech committee is still working with the web designer to tweak the site (especially the navigation on the left) and changes are still coming.

I agree that a FAQ page would be a good thing and I will bring that up, but as said above all prices are listed on the work order on the forms page.

I dont think though its fair to compare ASPC/AMHR to AQHA as they are a much bigger registry than us and probably have a bigger pool of resources for web sites etc.

Please feel free to send me a list of recommendations and I will be sure everyone on the tech committee sees it, although keep in mind there is nothing we can do about the charge for the studbook as that is not in our realm.

[email protected]

Kay

Folks need to stepback and not take comments on the website and registry "so personal". It's not an affront on you personally or "your breed".

Comments and suggestions make for a better business, and associations are businesses.
I am sorry you feel I was taking it "personally" I assure you I am not- just simply stating that what you found to be so difficult to use I find pretty easy.

Such as life surely no way to please everyone
default_yes.gif

Since you are newer you probably never saw the old site so dont realize that this one is miles better
default_smile.png

The tech committee is still working with the web designer to tweak the site (especially the navigation on the left) and changes are still coming.

I agree that a FAQ page would be a good thing and I will bring that up, but as said above all prices are listed on the work order on the forms page.

I dont think though its fair to compare ASPC/AMHR to AQHA as they are a much bigger registry than us and probably have a bigger pool of resources for web sites etc.

Please feel free to send me a list of recommendations and I will be sure everyone on the tech committee sees it, although keep in mind there is nothing we can do about the charge for the studbook as that is not in our realm.

[email protected]

Kay
Thank you Kay ;) While there is a HUGE difference in size (thus $) with the AQHA website - one can still glean useful infor from their website and association, etc... Same way we all look at Oprah's house for decorating tips, and Martha Stewart for cooking.. Can't afford the FANCY stuff, but imitation is the best form of flattery.

And, yes, fully admit that I was "unaware" of the website before - having no need for it at the time - and can 100% believe that things are better now! ;)

Will look at suggestions and send them out. I understand that while THE CURRENT stud book isn't maintained by ASPC/AMHR - why doesn't the association maintain its own records? I'm sure there are current reasons - just trying to understand.

I believe the records are maintained by our own staff, but the website is maintained by the same folks that maintain our website I believe.

I am part of the Technology Committee as well and besides the website upgrade, we are working on many other things as well to better the registry. We always have an open ear to new ideas.

Thanks!

I believe the records are maintained by our own staff, but the website is maintained by the same folks that maintain our website I believe.

I am part of the Technology Committee as well and besides the website upgrade, we are working on many other things as well to better the registry. We always have an open ear to new ideas.

Thanks!
Ahh - not sure that makes sense as to why it's $50 for records info - but I "better understand" now!

That's great about "bettering the registry" etc... our stable is excited to be a part of AMHR/ASPC and are always actively involved when we do join! Good/bad/ugly LOL!

Candi I see you are a trainer here in the North West.. would love to hear more about the pinto shows you attend- I wish our circuit here was competitive (meaning more mini horses not quality) Are you new to minis?

Latest posts

Back