AMHA vs AMHR???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAmateur

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what the difference is between AMHA and AMHR? Is one better than the other? Are the shows run the same?

Thank you and sorry for such silly questions..

AMHA is the association, minis only and must be 34" or under. The hardship registry is currently closed. I do know some Shetlands that were 34" that were able to be registered through hardship.

AMHR is the registry shared with the Shetland registry. They're a little more lax on some of the registrations, Shetlands can be registered as a mini if they're under 38".

Personally I found R to be cheaper and less of a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be forewarned you will get lots of answers with different opinions lol.

I personally like AMHR, they offer more for what I am into. They come up with different ideas to get people involved with the registry. I also feel its a bit more member friendly and also cheaper. If you like the Shetlands then AMHR is the way to go.

If you want to stay away from the Shetland bandwagon then look into AMHA, but there are winning AMHA Shetlands out there. It's more expensive, and more for the elite.

I personally don't think anyone is better vs the other. You have too look in your area and see what's out there, are there more A or R shows in your area. There are plenty of AMHR shows just within 20 minutes from me, another reason I choose AMHR. Now with that being said, I have always wanted to go to the AMHA World Show, and I am seriously considering doing it next year.

I just started and I have been doing mainly AMHR because that is the most abundant shows in my local area and I have to agree that R is cheaper than A especially with registering. But I can do either or because I registered him with both.

Very good advice to see what shows are available in your area. Here in the southeast/eastern coast, there are many more AMHA shows available, so the "market" is more for AMHA horses. But many dual register with both registries, so as to have a market to people in different areas of the country.

The height requirements for AMHA is 34" and under, as was previously mentioned, and AMHR up to 38". So, depending on the size of the minis in question, that can also dictate which association a horse can be registered with.

I also agree, AMHR is easier to deal with and cheaper, but I'm here in Florida, so my horses had to carry both registrations in order to be marketable when I was breeding. Most all of mine were registered with both AMHA and AMHR, and competed in both the National and World shows -- sometimes depending on the height of the horse.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We dont have R shows here any more...
default_sad.png
but I show both. Slightly different rules may apply but all my horses are double registered and I must say I dont have a preference. R fees and things are somewhat cheaper.

We only have AMHR shows here but my preference is for the non-shetland mini so am looking at AMHA for the future. AMHA has come up with some pretty interesting new classes lately and seems to be thinking more out of the box lately giving folks more opportunity to participate with the new stock horse halter and now youth classes (non-rated) off the lead line which to me is very interesting .... thinking it might grow into agility classes? Anyway both registries have their advantages, more depends on what you personally would like to do with your horses.

Neither is better than the other. I personally prefer AMHA but since there are very few shows within driving distance I show mainly AMHR. BUT all of my horses are double registered with both as I feel it gives me more opportunity plus gives them better options when I am trying to find them new homes.

Thank you everyone for your answers! I haven't bought my first show quality mini yet, but I'll probably get a double registered one so I can try out both types of shows, even though there are more than double A shows compared to R in my area.

I love that all mine are double registered as it gives you 'double the fun' when showing!!
default_yes.gif

We have always shown in both registries and have since the early 80's, and I served six years on the AMHA Board of Directors.

But, I don't really care for the horses that are winning these days. Too light and wispy, no substance to them. Now, I don't have drafty horses, but they do have some substance to them. I am thinking of maybe trying the stock horse division with my Billy Idol son and see how it goes. I like to drive and I am a big woman so feel bad driving anything without substance.

Some examples of our horses, winners in both registries.

The palomino is the Billy Idol son.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back