AMHA Temporary to Permanent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why is the paperwork not being sent in?

• I forget to do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It costs too much.

• Why bother I don't do AMHA.

• I remeber to do my paperwork.

• My horse has gone over.

• Total voters

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
Ok so in AMHA's view they changed the years to 3 years of age to Pernament because people don't seem to be sending it in. There has to be a reason why people don't send it in besides forgetting to do it. This is AMHA only, not AMHR. Also not looking to start arguments I am more wanting to see the polls. However, if you feel that you have to voice your opinion you may do so.

Please answer honestly. No one will see your answers, no one will point you out. I would just like to know why paperwork hasn't been sent in on these horses.

Ok so in AMHA's view they changed the years to 3 years of age to Pernament because people don't seem to be sending it in. There has to be a reason why people don't send it in besides forgetting to do it. This is AMHA only, not AMHR. Also not looking to start arguments I am more wanting to see the polls. However, if you feel that you have to voice your opinion you may do so.
Please answer honestly. No one will see your answers, no one will point you out. I would just like to know why paperwork hasn't been sent in on these horses.
in europe there are people who don't do the paperwork ,because they don't know how they must change the horse from temporary to permanent or even to do the transfer because they don't understand english very well

For me it is a double edge sword poll.

I don't do AMHA because I only have two AMHA horses

I will not register them because now having to be a member to do any paper works makes the cost too much.

I keep up with my paperwork, don't have a problem generally with getting it in on time. I've sold several horses though who show to be revoked, and I know it's people who don't show and just didn't care whether papers were up to date. Kind of drives me nuts LOL, I want the papers & pedigree to stay with the horse.

Jan

I am thinking that HAVING TO BE A MEMBER to do paperwork is going to hurt the breed and AMHA is going to miss out on a lot of revinew. For example; someone goes and buys a cute colt at the local show. They are not show people and they are not going to breed. This horse becomes a backyard horse. They didn't do the paoperwork because they didn't want to spend the extra to be a member. five years down the road they sell that colt because he is spoiled rotten stud that they can not handle. They then look at the papers and find that the certificate was only good til he wad 5 and he is now 6 and never transfered to their names. He is now an unregistered stud that they will sell and some joker will breed. we now have more unregistered horses in the market and the breeder of the average Miniature Horse show horse can't get more than $750 for their foals. My point to this is, not everyone is going to join the AMHA to register their horses. Why not just have a member fee and double the fee for the ocational mini owner. If you are going to register 4, 5, 6 or more horses then it is in your best interest to be a member. If you have one or two a higher fee makes no differance. I have not been a member. I went threw and all the fees and in the long run I would save a lot of money to be a member. I am joining AMHA today. However, if I would have had to join last year when I did the owner transfer on my mare we showed I would not have been able to show her because the fee to join was more than I could afford at the time. I was thankful it was not required to join at that point. For the rest of my paperwork it only makes sence to join. I think it would incourage more people to do the paperwork. The mare that I transfered last year is also AMHR and I did not transfer her to my name because you HAVE to be a AMHR member to do any paper work and there are no AMHR shows I am aware of in my area so that paperwork is not done. By fall I may join AMHR and get that paperwork in order because it puts a higher value on my horses to be registered both.

Katiean,

I totally agree with you. Now with both registeries you must become a member to do any paperwork its going to hurt both registeries IMO and AMHA is just going to get worse. I put a post back some time ago bringing up about the membership fee and how outrageous it costs compared to some of the other major registeries and we should be cutting our membership fee in half and if you want the Journal or World you have to pay the subscripction for it which would add up to what we are paying now. Thats what the other registeries do, why can't we? If the registeries are wondering why no paperwork is being submitted in and why no new members look at your membership fee. Honestly having 2 seperate registeries and having to pay 2 seperate membership fees somethings gotta give.

I have 2 answers for the poll, is there a way I can answer more than one? I usually get my paperwork done and ontime. (I'm not sure I will if the permanent status really changes from 5 to 3 without a drop in prices cause I can't afford to do 3 years worth in 1 year plus register my 09 foals) but, the 1-2 horses I have had go over before reaching 5, I didn't take them permanent for that reason.

I do get my paperwork done on time (early) for all the registries I support.

And, I do feel there is misunderstanding about the change from 5 to 3 yrs- people do have more than one year to get this done without any 'fee penalties'. That is my understanding from watching the AMHA meeting on-line. I am puzzled why some seem to think it all has to be done in 2009???

Peggy

I just plain forgot! 3 of our horses were supposed to go perm last year, and we just plain forgot to do it.

I think if AMHA want to have more horses brought to perminante they need to 1) Not require you to be a member to do the paperwork 2) even if it is 2 years past due for the transfer, allow the transfer with a late fee.

This is my opinion which doesen't count for much. But, I think AMHA would make more money and reduce the number of voided papers.

Just a reminder on AMHR - you need to send in you membership by 3-1-09 of $65. If you don't it will cost you $10 MORE dollars to join for the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I'm with Doobie with this one
default_smile.png

There are no shows in or near Ontario. So I don't show AMHA. Because I don't show AMHA (and I have 3 geldings) I have B horses. 4 of my 6 miniatures are B horses. One of my AMHA horses is a 25 or 26 year old gelding - Why bring him permanent?? My other is a 4 year old mare..... I have this year to do it... so we'll see. So to be a member for what... one horse... why? I WILL bring this horse permanent for future owners or foals... But, me personally? I don't care all that much.

BTW, the above mare is bred to a 33" AMHR only, futurity nominated stallion for a 2010 foal....
default_rolleyes.gif

Now, AMHR? It's $76 US funds for us! Plus a cost for every thing we do with the registry.... BUT and that is a big But! We have 3 AMHR shows in Ontario, and many just outside of our border. They take my "over sized" B horses (I'm referring to over sized as to the fact that they are over 34" - Not over 38") They offer more things locally, and seem more friendly. AMHR makes me happy
default_smile.png
All of my AMHR are up to date. I show in about 5 -6 AMHR shows a year (this includes multi- judged shows, AREA shows and when it is in the budget, Nationals). I also advertise with AMHR in the Journal.

For me, AMHR works. I am NOT bashing AMHA; they are a wonderful club, but they simply do not offer me anything, so I don't really deal with them.

Thanks for reading
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....

So far I find this poll quite interesting. It seems more people are voting for either it costs too much or their horse went over. Of course that majority voted they do their paperwork in time. This is the kind of poll AMHA needed before they quickly judged on people forgetting. Keep the votes coming guys!

I can see some problems while all this gets ironed out.

We sold a three year old stallion which we bred to some of our mares last year before he was sold.

If the new owner does not bring him permanent I will not be able to register his foals and I am no longer the owner of him, so I cannot do anything but request that the new owner brings him permanent.

This could be a BIG problem.

I can see some problems while all this gets ironed out.
We sold a three year old stallion which we bred to some of our mares last year before he was sold.

If the new owner does not bring him permanent I will not be able to register his foals and I am no longer the owner of him, so I cannot do anything but request that the new owner brings him permanent.

This could be a BIG problem.
Joanne, as I see it, if this new rule is in deed implemented, the papers on the current 3 year old will not be revoked for not taking permanent until he is 5. Therefore, you would have no problem registering his foals unless you waited until after the sire turned 5, which would be no different than it was to begin with.

I think if AMHA want to have more horses brought to perminante they need to 1) Not require you to be a member to do the paperwork 2) even if it is 2 years past due for the transfer, allow the transfer with a late fee.This is my opinion which doesen't count for much. But, I think AMHA would make more money and reduce the number of voided papers.

It is my understanding that one can at any time, bring their horses permanent, for a fee.

My daughter got out of Minis when she started to have children. I was left with all of her horses and had to sell them. She did not keep up with the paperwork and several of her horses were either not registered or were past their permanent date by a couple of years. With my help, we got all of the horses registered and all paperwork updated, even the ones that were way past permanent status. She just had to pay the regular fees plus late fees.

She even had a filly that was 2 years old. Her dam had died when she was a yearling. Because she had not been registered for 2 years, she had to be DNA'd before she could be registered. Her dam was an older mare who was of an age where she did not have to be registered. We had to send in her dam's jaw for DNAing, it cost $250 to have that done and fortunatly the mare was in a grave on the farm, so we were able to dig her jawbone up UGH!

What I am trying to say, it can be done, older horses, for a fee, can regain their registration papers.

Here we don't do the perms if they go over which by the time they are pushing 5 sometimes happens though l know we should return the temp papers and haven't a lot of times...l know we have about a dozen A/R minis and only being a member of the R for over a year just never bothered to even transfer them into our name let alone bring them up to date to the horror of the farms we got them from...though we are working on that now. There was never a need to have any R papers transfered into our name updated or otherwise because this area is mainly A and l was pretty sure once a mini is temp you can perm them any time in the future so no big deal.. maybe thats whats also happening with the A's not going from temp to perm...

you left off "can't remember the horse's birthday"

AMHA ties the date of expiration to the actual date of birth instead of that calendar year. By the time you've missed it by a week because you can't remember that the 5 yr old horse was born in April not May, there is noreason to get in any hurry to do it.

Thank you Freeland for your explanation (Whew!)

I understood in AMHA that you could not bring them current until the month of their birth.

I did not think there is any late fee if you remembered a month later.

Thank you Freeland for your explanation (Whew!)
I understood in AMHA that you could not bring them current until the month of their birth.

I did not think there is any late fee if you remembered a month later.
to clarify, the late fee I mentioned is if you send in the perm papers after six months from the birthday. In AMHR, you can take care of all you paperwork based on the calendar year the horse was born. In AMHA, you have to go by within six months of their actual birthday. So if you sit down in November to organize your end of year paperwork (including filling out stallion reports) and you find that the horse you thought turned five in May was actually born in March, you are subject to the late fees.

Latest posts

Back