AMHA registration questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I have 2 horses that need to get their AMHA registrations into my name as well as one being brought permanent and changed from stallion to gelding. I am not a member of AMHA and their site is not very user friendly IMO not to mention I called AMHA and left a voicemail and they have not called me back (frustrating!)...so I am coming to you with my questions.

Horse #1 Transfer dated in 2008, permanent registration just needs to be transfered into my name. This is a mare. Cost?

Horse #2 Transfer dated in 2008, was a weanling then, so needs to be brought permanent. He is now a gelding and needs to be transfered in to my name. Cost?

I have the signed transfers, a signed gelding form, the permanent form...other than getting new pics, do I need anything else...a work order form (couldnt find that if I do need one) ?

Is there a rush fee if I wanted to do that? If so, how much? Email papers?

Oh, just thought of another question on another horse...

Is there a "time limit" on getting a horse DNA'd if they are waiting on that for papers? I have the form to pull hair, but just haven't done it yet.

(Not dising AMHA, but AMHR is much more "user-friendly"...lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
'user friendly' may be more a case of familiarity or not, but for the price list/work order form:

go to the Home page....in the top right corner is the link 'AMHA FORMS/PRICE LIST'. On the 'Forms' page in the second box down is 'Price List/ Work Order'. I think this will answer a lot of your questions.

There is a rush fee if requested. Doing the work by email isn't possible at this time.

I'm not familiar with a DNA time limit after you receive the form, but it would probably be a good idea not to wait TOO long as something could happen like a rule change or change in fees or such.

Horse 1 $25 for the late transfer

Horse 2 $10 for the late transfer as a gelding, $20 for temp to perm if papers are expired more than 6 months, stallion to gelding is free.

DNA needs to be done on a mare or stallion before any foals from them can be registered. DNA/PQ has to be done to register any horse that has reached the age 24 months or more.

You have to be a member to do any registry work, so that would be $65 and includes MHW.

The rush fee is to high I think, $40 per horse so not really worth it unless you need the papers in a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the DNA, you can request that they email you the forms rather than snail mail them. It greatly increases the turn around time.

Also, in the meantime, while you have the horse to take the photos for the transfer papers, pull a hair sample and put it in a horse name labeled ziplock bag. When they email you the DNA form you can just drop it in the mail !

I was just going to post for a friend regarding an A horse whose papers were never brought permanent as to what needs to be done to bring them current... sounds like just a fee then.

I have never had any trouble getting hold of AMHA if you call during business hours and Pam in registration has always been more than helpful- walking me through a couple of 'difficult' things. Ditto what was said above regarding the forms needed.

One thing different about AMHA than AMHR is you need photos for everything, every time papers are sent in for any change. AMHR only needs photos if there are not any to begin with, like registration. Also different is that AMHA wants a photo from each side and two from the front, they don't need any from the rear. I normally take all pictures at the same time so I have them anyway but just make sure you use the correct ones for each registry. You can also find a simple form on AMHA's website to upload all photos at the same time and print on one sheet of photo paper. Very easy to use and I also use it for my AMHR photos, just trim off everything with AMHA on it. At the bottom of the forms page you will see it, red circle with a camera in it, Photo Submission Form.

Thanks everyone for your help. I did finally find the work order form which helped. In the past (and since I haven't been a member for many years) you did not have to be a member to submit paperwork, you were just charged more. Is that changed now so you do have to be a member to send in paperwork? I guess since I do have several things to send in, it will be cheaper to become a member than not, but I am not pleased that I need to.
default_xkngt.gif

You need to be a member, but with the membership you also get the breed magazine, which I like to see. Also, if you paid more for paperwork when not a member, it probably just averages out doesnt it?

Latest posts

Back