AMHA Registration help please??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingsLuckyNight

Reaction score
The people I bought my mini from. Do NOT legally own his mom under the AMHA, the breeder still does. I have been waiting a while now and they told me to wiat for the paper to be sent in, I have waited. I am getting tired of it. They have owned, the mom almost 3 years and I have owned my colt since he was 10 months, now he's a year and 4 months old. I am ready to get him registered because I would really like to qualify for nationals next year.

Now in this case. Can I legally send the breeder, the transfer form registration form and have him sign it because he still legally owns my colts mother under the AMHA?? BTW here is a picture of my boy as of today. Placed 3 out of 9 classes in a fun show for mini's!

I also had another question. Little Thunder here is getting gelded soon. But I was wondering the cost of collecting a good amount of Semen would cost? I wanna keep some back, for if I ever have a mare I'd like to breed him to after he's won his show record. But I do not think he will behave as a stud at all. So he is getting gelded.
1382898_646769452010305_460129653_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I understand. You say that they don't legally own your colt's dam, that the breeder does but then you say that they have owned the mare for 3 years.

Do you mean that they bought the mare and have owned her for 3 years but yet have not transferred her into their names (therefor she's still in her old owner's name with AMHA)

You call the old owner of the mare "the breeder".

WHO is the actual breeder of your colt?

Good luck getting any papers on your boy.
default_smile.png

He would need to be registered in order for any foal of his to be able to be registered. There are big fees involved to use frozen semen in AMHA. I'm not sure how long the semen would be good after collection. I'm not up on that stuff.

I am pretty sure frozen semen in horses has a short shelf life, still. Usually chilled semen is still used- I know horse semen can be frozen but it does not freeze as well as, for example, bull.

If the paperwork on the parents of your horse is not in order, good luck getting any papers on yours. Who owns the stallion? The people that own the mare? Did they even file a stallion report since they never transfered the papers on the mare? Somehow I think not... Have either of the parents been DNA'd?

If I sold a mare three years ago, I would not sign off on anything. That is verifying you know who the mare was bred to and when and that would not be a true statement as being the mares previous owner... they no longer had knowledge or control of what was going on on someone else's farm. You cant just go get paperwork from the mare's previous owner- they can't verify who she was bred to and when and you have no idea if the paperwork on the stallion was done either.

Have never done it but my understanding is that collecting semen is not cheap, and then you would have to have facilities at the right temperature to keep it, then pay someone to come out and check your mares and inseminate them when they are at just the right time. If you think your horse has disposition problems and would not have good temperment as a stallion, I certainly would not consider him for breeding.

Okay, guess I messed up trying to explain this.

He is out of a Appy Stallion from Bear Farms in KS. Named Bear Farms Impressive. His mom is of another Bear Farm mare named. Bear Farms Echo Spring passion.

Now. He sold Echo almost 3 years ago to the lady I used to work for. The lady has still NEVER sent the paper work into get all the mini's Bear sold her registered in her name at the AMHA. When Bear sold the mare, she was already pregnant with my colt, therefore he is the 'breeder'. So in the AMHA Bear still owns the mare, and my colt on paper as it has never been transferred over to the lady I used to work for's name.

I have been waiting to get him registered for a while. I have the stud report, the transfer report and the registration application. The lady who used I used to work for, still has never sent the papers in for the AMHA. My question was. Since Bear in the AMHA still owns them on the registration forms and it has not been transferred over. Can I not just send the transfer paper and the registration paper to him and get my boy registered that way?

I guess you could do that--IF he is willing to sign. Certainly he is the one that must sign the stallion report....since he is the one that bred the mare to that stallion. Since he sold the mare before the colt was born--even thought te and stallion ate in his name--he is under no obligation to sign the application and transfer form. He may be willing to sign it--some people will--but some people will not sign paperwork in that situation. Your best bet is to contact him directly and ask.

Are mare and stallion both permanent? Have they both got DNA on file? If not--you will have to deal with your former employer, since she is in possession of the horses and will have to give you access to the horses for measuring or pulling mane hair.

Yes both parents are permanent and I do have the stallion report that his father was studded to his mother. I am just tired of waiting, my colt is a year and 4 months this should have been done a while ago. My former boss plans to show these mini's but has yet to do anything. I just want to get my ducks in order so I can start showing mine.

Yes, I would nicely ask the breeders if they will help you get papers on your colt. Tell them you are willing to pay the paperwork needed.

Good luck!
default_smile.png

Cool thanks! I really just wanna get him registered in order to Qualify for National's next year. It'll be a lot of work but he's worth it I think.

Can't you hardship him when he is a gelding for probably a lot less than going through all this paperwork? Just do it before the end of the year.

This is the last year to hardship A and he would have to be 3 years old to do it. Now I get it.... I agree, nicely contact the breeders and see if they will do that for you. Good luck and let us know if it works out for you. I totally understand your frustration!

Latest posts

Back