AMHA question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
I was thinking about how different people can get different measurements, and started wondering...

If you have a hoorse at or just under 34", and you take her to an AMHA show and she gets measured over 34", what happens then? Does AMHA pull her papers?

I was thinking about how different people can get different measurements, and started wondering...

If you have a hoorse at or just under 34", and you take her to an AMHA show and she gets measured over 34", what happens then? Does AMHA pull her papers?

You get 3 chances. after that you are not allowed to be in the show. I am told if this happens with the same horse many times at different shows the papers can be pulled.

different people can get different measurements
So true!
I have never heard of any horse having papers pulled because of measurement at a show. You just can't show that horse at that show if it won't measure in after 3 measurements. Unless the horse is way over, if you spend time getting the horse to relax they will usually drop in height a bit.

Charlotte

I agree, they will not pull papers, you just can't show that day. And relaxing is a big part of it... sometimes if they measure in a hair over... just walking them for a minute will relax their muscles so they are not all tensed up and can then measure in.

AMHA rule 181 states that is a horse does not meet the requirements for registration . . . they have the right to cancel that horse's registration. If a horse is measured 3 times at a show, the 3rd measurement becomes final and is the one submitted with the paperwork. If a horse is over 34" at the last hair that means that is does not meet the requirements for registration and papers CAN be pulled.

In AMHR if the horse is measured over 38" after 3 measurements, the steward is required to put through documentation to AMHR that the horse measured does not meet height requirements and the papers will be pulled.

In both cases the owner can protest and there is a procedure for remeasuring and trying to get the registration cleared.

In most cases owners who have horses that are measuring out only have 2 measurements done. If you can't get them in in 2, I wouldn't personally go for the 3rd time, but wait until the next show, perhaps working on the feet a little more if possible.

Latest posts

Back