AMHA Pointed Series in New England

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost Paradise Stables

Reaction score
My business wants to run an AMHA pointed series of three or four shows for 2010 that would not be associated with any club. The shows would offer about 100 or so classes (Amatuer, Open, AOTE, and Youth classes) and there would be an end of the year get together and awards. I am posting to see who would be interested, where you would like to see the shows, and what is it you want in a show. The idea behind this series is to get back to having a fun and friendly atmoshere.

Thank you.

default_rolleyes.gif

[SIZE=10pt]Count me in, Missy![/SIZE]

Since I live in Southern NH, I think that would be a perfect location - I'd settle for the MA/NH border though.

Sounds like a great idea!

I'd love to see a series as long as it doesn't interfere with shows (HA/HR) that are already scheduled. I think in order for it to be sucessfull you would need to try to draw the most horses available and conflicting with shows that are already scheduled would hurt your series. How about adding 4h classes too?

Id like to see one in south eastern Mass. Maybe one in each state centrally located in New England? How about Northampton Three county fair grounds?

Sounds like a plan worth following up on. Can we add 10-12 more weekends to summer?????? How far north can you go?

I am all for fun shows in a friendly atmosphere and really enjoyed the one show I did last year that you ran. But in looking over the shows and events already on my calendar for 2010, I doubt I will survive all those! They aren't all AMHA/AMHR shows, but there are also a few Pinto shows and some ADS events. So, as much as I would like to say I would attend your shows, I just don't know.... Maybe if I were 40 years younger....

I certainly don't want to discourage you, but I wonder how thin anybody can spread themselves. I don't know if this will happen here, but it reminds me of what happened with our New England Pinto shows this year. The mini classes have been so successful, that they decided to add a whole lot of new mini classes - 3 whole new DIVISIONS. It sounded like a good idea, but the new classes didn't fill very well. Some didn't run at all, and some ran with 2 -4 entries. Many of us (and/or our minis) just couldn't physically or financially do any more classes. Now, in their case, I don't think they lost money, because the shows were still very well attended and the original mini classes seemed just as popular as before.

I'm all for more shows but there are quite a few scheduled in this area for 2010 and It may be difficult to schedule w/o conflicting . I feel the same as Mary that we already have so many shows on the calender for this yr that I don't know how I would add any more. We also show Pinto. I live in Southeastern Mass and for location anything that is w/in 2 hrs of us is great.

I am a 4H leader for a miniature horse club and what I would really like to see are some classes for all the unregistered minis and the ones who have outgrown their papers ( I may have one of those this yr!). Our 4H program owns one unregistered mini and it is difficult finding shows that the kids can show him at, so I am always looking for new opportunities for them to show.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are putting in our wish list, what I would love to see is a mini show that is run along with a big horse show to save money AND to spread the word about what these little guys can do. And I would agree, open it to any minis and have maybe just one or 2 halter classes like Pinto does. LOTS of performance classes including a "hands free obstacle" class; that should get the attention of the big horse people. And of course, make it FUN!

Thanks for the support and insight. Just to let everyone know - these shows will not conflict with any other AMHA shows in New England and we are trying to get dates that will not conflict with most other MINI shows in the area. As far as where we will have them I am looking to make sure we are central for almost everyone and at venues that are people and mini friendly - not always an easy feet.

Keep the ideas soming.

Missy

Hi Missy-

I think this is a great idea - the more shows to choose among, the better. Of course by saying that i wouldn't want to compromise any club-run shows in the area and see their entries hurt. There was a time when there were mini shows in our area 3 weekends out of 4 held everywhere from NY, CT, MA, PA and NJ. Having run the number of shows you have in this area, I'm sure you are well-versed in all of the expense involved in running shows, so my hat is off to you if you can make a go of this venture.

Since everyone has added a "wish list" to this post -- i'll add mine: a show (or shows) in the southern part of our region so i can attend at least one that won't require a 5+ hour drive each way. :)

Jenifer

Thanks everyone for your comments and requests .... I will try to take them all in consideration .....

I will keep you posted as to when the shows will be over the next week ..... my intentions are not to conflict with any other show as that would not be adventagous to anyone .... as far as AMHA they have strict rules regarding show dates, locations, and judges so that should handle most issues with AMHA conflicts.

Looking forward to the 2010 show season,

Missy

OK - so if I host three one days with a GREAT class list?!!? Does it matter to people if AMHA points will OLNY go to Year Ends not to qualify anyone for Worlds???? I am thinking one show in August, September, and early October?? Please be honest and let me know if this works for people?~?~?~ We would be having a get together with an awards system for people attending this series!!!

Missy

Well, your AMHA points would count for Honor Roll and the Amateur (zone) awards, too right? September and early October would eliminate anyone gong to Worlds... but since I have never been, I am not sure that is an issue!

Some other thoughts - talk other Clubs into using your shows points for their Year End Awards (NEMHS used to point the Topsfield and Bethany Shows). And one more thought - if you don't conflict with NE Pinto (which I hope you don't) how about using a Pinto judge or 2 and have some Pinto pointed classes? See the Pinto.org website for how to do that. LOTS of mini judges are also PtHA judges.

OK - so if I host three one days with a GREAT class list?!!? Does it matter to people if AMHA points will OLNY go to Year Ends not to qualify anyone for Worlds???? I am thinking one show in August, September, and early October?? Please be honest and let me know if this works for people?~?~?~ We would be having a get together with an awards system for people attending this series!!!
Missy
If the points dont count for anything through AMHA, why not allow AMHR horses as well? If your points are only going towards your own year end awards system, why only allow AMHA horses? You may get some extra horses by doing some AMHR type classes as well? If the points go towards honor roll, etc I totally understand why it's an AMHA registered horses only. But, if the points only go towards year end awards, why not allow the AMHR horses to show as well? It may allow a number of horses to show who have just AMHR papers. Even if you only stuck with your 34&Under classes, there are oodles of 34&Under horses out there with only AMHR papers. Just a thought.

Jen

Sounds great, but there are so many shows scheduled with ME, NH, & MA clubs that is might hurt all clubs involved. I know that if the dates conflicted with the club I belong to, I would have to choose my club as would a few others in the club. It was so hard to find dates that didn't conflict with all the other New England clubs for both AMHA or AMHR horses.

Keep us up-to-date so we can mark the calendars.

PS need to get with you about the "AMHR" rated show for CMHC in May that you are doing for us.

Those points WILL count towards qualifying for the World Show for the following year so a late season show is actually a jump on the following year.

As for the class list, there is a mandatory list of classes for a pointed show, and an abbreviated list for a 'hardship' show. The hardship shows are usually those held with fairs.

I will verify with Kristy in the AMHA office, but I believe that the points for the horses showing in age specific classes would be carried over to the corresponding age class the following year. So a weanling would be getting yearling points, etc.

Don't forget that now there are year end awards by region as well as the over all awards.

Got this from Kristy about the above information:

Yes, that is correct for all with one exception. If you have a horse gelded, the Honor Roll points start over; we do not use the stallion points previously accumulated.

Kristy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jody - I was trying to let people know that they would not count for World's 2010 but 2011 .... and honor roll .... I should have been more specific before such a panic occured!?! Sorry Guys ..... that teaches me not to post from work.

As far as AMHR ... from my experience you guys are all up the Northern end of the New England ... I am looking at possibly doing another AMHR SHOW .... it all depends on financing and how things keep moving forward .... I have to watch that I do not drown my self financially the first year out .... I am going to try to get some things moving to make more income to be able to have more shows .... I will not forget you guys up north .... I truly love heading up to NH and ME ....

Keep the ideas coming .... I am working to consider what everyone wants ....

default_wub.png
Missy

Back