AMHA OR AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denielle johns

Reaction score
Our new 6mo old filly has amha reg application however she is 28.5 inches tall now. Will she go over 34 inches? I talked to amhr and I can hardship reg her with them for around 200.00 and they have class B if she would get to big. Should I do that or wait and see how big she gets? Will it be harder to reg her amhr if shes older?

Ideally, I like my horses to be registered with as many associations/registries as possible. It only adds to the value of the horse and/or its offspring.

You don't state what you want to do with your horse. Are you wanting to show or breed it? This may factor in to your decision. If you want to show AMHA only, then you may not need AMHR papers. If AMHR shows are closer/more reasonably priced/more convenient or whatever, you may want to register AMHR as well.

It is very hard to say if your filly will outgrow 34" as some horses mature very quickly and don't grow over a year or two of age, and others grow until they are five or six. It's better to have the papers in order, having additional AMHR papers certainly won't hurt anything.

If you are going to breed, a double-registered horse will be easier to sell if you breed to a double-registered stallion... because that way if someone who breeds or shows AMHR wants the foal, the paperwork is already done.

So, I would suggest paying the $200 for AMHR papers in short
default_smile.png
Generally, it is money well spent.

Andrea

If it's possible to get AMHA and AMHR papers....I always think that that's better. Adds value to the horse in my opinion. I try and have all my horses A and R.

Always double register if possible. If you plan to show her at breed shows in the future, I highly reccomend getting some AMHR papers on her, as we dont have AMHA shows in or near pa. There are atleast 6 AMHR shows within 3 hours of me, Im near pittsburgh

We only plan on 4h for now but who knows she may do breed shows. I think I might just hardship the amhr, if all the amha are far we wont be doing them and Im not a breeder. Its so expensive joining both and getting all the papers in order but prob worth it in the end. my luck she will do 4h then be a pet for the next 30 yrs and no papers needed lol.

She has to have her AMHA papers in-hand and in your name before she can be hardshipped into AMHR. [AMHR no longer hardships unregistered minis, they have to already belong to another registery, I think its just AMHA, Fallebella(sp?) and Shetland that they accept.] So, I'd say get her registered in AMHA now, only worry about AMHA right now, as her height isn't important to the registery til she's 3 years old and its time to bring her papers permanent, or if you plan to show AMHA-approved shows (they need ot meet height requirements for age groups for showing); that way she'll have her AMHA papers in order. Then, you can decide later if you want to hardship her AMHR.

Oh, and you can't announce a new addition without pics, forums rules.
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png

I dont know a ton about hard shipping as my horses where registered when I bought them, but I thought AMHR was closing hard shipping in the next couple years?

AMHA is closing all hardhipping in 2013 and AMHR has closed hardshipping to all but AMHA and shetlands

Get her AMHA papers now, if you wait, you will have to then DNA her to get her registered. Then I would do her AMHR papers as well. While $200 is the hardship fee, you also have to pay the registration fee for the age, so the longer you wait, the more it will cost. No matter what you do with her now, down the road if you ever have to sell her, it will be easier with papers. Without them, she is just a grade pony.

I called amhr and they told me how to reg amhr so it must not be closed. they are sending me all the forms. Thanks for everyones help.

Denielle, you have gotten your answers to your question, but I wanted to add that I don't think she will be taller then 34". I would register her in both AMHA/AMHR. If you want her to be shown at the breed level, get with me, I can get my daughter to show her for you at the shows we go to, we don't have any yearlings to show next year, cause I havn't bred any mares in a while. The youngest we have are two year olds. She can also coach your daughter for youth classes. Our first show of the year will be the Spring Fling in NC, it is a double show, that is we can find the money to go. I need to sell some horses and build my show fund up. I also have a 10 year old grandson that shows with us, confidence booster!

Are you saying that she is neither A nor R registered right now and the R is sending you forms for her even though you don't want to register her with the AMHA?? Okay now l'm really in the dark here
default_wacko.png
as that doesn't sound right somehow or l'm misreading this post altogether...

Last edited by a moderator:
I double register mine and if one happens to go over, just drop the A papers. I have had a couple that were obvious they would go over (not by just a little) so didnt register them A. But if you think it's going to be close, register. Better to have than not.

Also, I had a couple of foals that I really thought would go over, and didnt, so was glad I did the A papers! Had a yearling that measured like he would mature at 35. He never even hit 33", so you just never know.

To be registered with AMHR, the horse has to have AMHA papers. The books are closed to hardshipping a horse with no pedigree or prior papers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that she is neither A nor R registered right now and the R is sending you forms for her even though you don't want to register her with the AMHA?? Okay now l'm really in the dark here
default_wacko.png
I'll explain, she bought the horse at auction, the horse was sold with AMHA registration papers to be filed, the seller sent in stallion report, but didn't want the expense of sending in the registration papers in their name, so sold with papers, signed, just needed to be sent in at the buyers exspense. Hope I explained it right. So the buyer can name the filly anything she wants. she is a nice filly I saw her, and she is show quality. Alot of sellers do this when they know they won't get alot of money at auction, it saves them just alittle. Since consignments are $50, coggins and call out fee, then another call out fee plus health certificate.

I called amhr and they told me how to reg amhr so it must not be closed. they are sending me all the forms. Thanks for everyones help.
Yes, AMHR is "closed" in that if you have a horse that is not registered with AMHA, ASPC or the Falabella registry you cannot get AMHR papers on that horse. You can still 'hardship' a horse from its AMHA papers, but I don't believe you can obtain AMHR registration with only the AMHA application--you will have to get her AMHA papers first. As AMHR will have told you, you will have to send in an application form & copies of the front and back of the AMHA papers as well as photos of the horse.

Denielle, you have gotten your answers to your question, but I wanted to add that I don't think she will be taller then 34". I would register her in both AMHA/AMHR. If you want her to be shown at the breed level, get with me, I can get my daughter to show her for you at the shows we go to, we don't have any yearlings to show next year, cause I havn't bred any mares in a while. The youngest we have are two year olds. She can also coach your daughter for youth classes. Our first show of the year will be the Spring Fling in NC, it is a double show, that is we can find the money to go. I need to sell some horses and build my show fund up. I also have a 10 year old grandson that shows with us, confidence booster!

Thanks that would be great! Shayna has been playing with her everyday and its going great. Zoey is still shy with me but not with Shayna at all. Shayna is my niece my daughter is 20 and would show her for Shayna if she gets nervious, but it would be great to have someone to teach us how the minis are shown. Do they show halter the same as AQHA? The only showing we have done is 4h AQHA and open.

default_wacko.png

lol no. sorry let me explane. she is AMHA (application) but I guess in PA there are more AMHR shows and i was worried she would get to big for AMHA she is 28.5 now and 6mo old. So i was wondering if I should reg. AMHR ? Sorry I reread my post and they are confusing.

Yes, AMHR is "closed" in that if you have a horse that is not registered with AMHA, ASPC or the Falabella registry you cannot get AMHR papers on that horse. You can still 'hardship' a horse from its AMHA papers, but I don't believe you can obtain AMHR registration with only the AMHA application--you will have to get her AMHA papers first. As AMHR will have told you, you will have to send in an application form & copies of the front and back of the AMHA papers as well as photos of the horse.

I have no clue. Im sending in the AMHA anyways, but I told her she was on appl. and she told me to send a copy of it and 4 pics and the fees. but I may have misunderstood her. SI should get all the paperwork by the end of the week, I will let you know what it says.

She has to have her AMHA papers in-hand and in your name before she can be hardshipped into AMHR. [AMHR no longer hardships unregistered minis, they have to already belong to another registery, I think its just AMHA, Fallebella(sp?) and Shetland that they accept.] So, I'd say get her registered in AMHA now, only worry about AMHA right now, as her height isn't important to the registery til she's 3 years old and its time to bring her papers permanent, or if you plan to show AMHA-approved shows (they need ot meet height requirements for age groups for showing); that way she'll have her AMHA papers in order. Then, you can decide later if you want to hardship her AMHR.

Oh, and you can't announce a new addition without pics, forums rules.
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
Just what I was going to say.

Latest posts

Back