AMHA hardshipping question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
I have a horse who is 34", been measured as such at AMHR shows. I want to hardship him into AMHA. But at 34", there's no room for error... what if the AMHA director measures him taller? Would I be just out of luck and a LOT of money? I am going to be sooo stressed about this!

I have a horse who is 34", been measured as such at AMHR shows. I want to hardship him into AMHA. But at 34", there's no room for error... what if the AMHA director measures him taller? Would I be just out of luck and a LOT of money? I am going to be sooo stressed about this!
Yes, you would be out of luck. You may get a few tries there too.

How do YOU measure the horse? Using a sligo stick, absolutely level surface, properly trimmed feet. I would go by that more than by a show measurement.

Charlotte

Ew, if he has measured just at 34 before, I dont know why he wouldnt now. The inspector will be the one measuring him there- you are not allowed to. I believe you get 3 tries at a show, so I would assume the same for inspecting to hardship? I am not sure.

You get multiple tries... but I had put an earlier post up a few mos ago about how to prepare for a hardship examination... I will try to bring it back to the top....

Read that post and it should help you.

Any more questions and I will be glad to try to answer them.

Here is a copy of what was posted in the previous Thread

As a current board member and having completed the measuring clinic I would like to give a few suggestions that will help us with our job of hardshipping horses into AMHA.

First of all, we want to HELP you to register your horse with AMHA.

The first thing you need to do is contact Registration at AMHA and tell them that you would like to hardship a horse. They will then contact a director either in your region, or the director closest to you. I have mostly been asked to hardship horses in neighboring states... not my region, but I was the closest director.

When it is decided who will conduct your hardship inspection the you and the inspector will receive a packet from AMHA. You will need to pull hair on mares and stallions for DNA AND the inspector will also need to pull hair for DNA testing. YOU may not hand the inspector the hair from the horse for them to send in, the inspector will have to pull the hair themselves. You do not have to DNA test a gelding.

To help things go more smoothly,it is quite helpful to have a horse that will stand for the few minutes it takes for us to get an accurate measurement. While we realize that most horses we are going to hardship are not going to be seasoned show horses, it would be helpful, if your horse is not used to standing, to work with it before we arrive so that we can position the legs and place the measuring stick on the horses back.

If you are hardshipping a horse, especially if the horse is in the 33-34" range please make sure that the horse has had it's feet trimmed recently. ESPECIALLY if I am traveling hours just to hardship your horse. I can not make an allowance for hoof growth.

In the winter months, some people may want to clip the area around the mane and withers... that doesn't really matter....the last mane hair is the last mane hair.

Have an idea where we can measure on a hard surface that is flat and level. We cannot measure in a field.

We also need to see teeth for mares and stallions,and for stallions, check testicles. It is helpful if when we examine the horse it isn't the first time these exams have been attempted.

You will need to take photographs of your horse for the registration, but also understand that the person inspecting is required to take photographs to submit with their report.

It is helpful if you can arrange transport to a show or to the inspector. Remember, YOU are having only one or maybe a few horses inspected, but those inspecting horses may have quite a few requests to examine horses within a short time.

You can get your registraion money back but out of luck on the DNA fee. You get 3 tries to measure him in.

Thank you everyone!
default_smile.png

I've hardshipped a horse that was right on 34", and it was a little worrying. What I did was measure her a LOT, and got other people to measure her too, to make sure that the measurements were consistent. That helped with getting her used to being measured too.

I didn't realize that the hardship money would be reimbursed if the horse didn't measure in, that is wonderful. Thanks for all the info everyone, especially Julie for that comprehensive list. I have two mares I want to hardship this year too.
default_smile.png

Double check on getting money back....maybe they will reimburse REGISTRATION fee. But there are other fees involved with hardshipping a horse.

I just don't know the answer to that... would be best to check with Pam at AMHA

Julie...I am getting ready to go through this process with my mare. What other fees might I run into?

Also...Do we need to pull DNA hair from her dam and sire?

Thanks

Gina

Last edited by a moderator:
The other nonrefundable fees would be like getting the steward to come to your place. The only money back you get would be the registration fee.

Gina,

Fees include travel expenses for the person inspecting your horse, unless you can arrange to meet them at a show or haul your horse(s) to them for inspection. And there can be a fee for the directors time. You have to pay the hardship fees and the DNA tests (one for you to pull and send in and another that the inspector will bring with them and pull the hair themselves and send in) The reason for two DNA tests is to prove that the horse you are having inspected is the same horse that you are wanting to hardship.

Julie...Thank you for the info, really appreciate it. The mare I am hardshipping is in foal, I did send in a stallion report with the mare "pending". Am I reading it right? It states the hardship must be post marked prior to foaling for the baby to be registered under normal structure, not the hardship progeny.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yes, that is correct. Something I asked AMHA recently, since my bou is expecting two foals out of double registered mares. I was thrilled the hardshipping didn't have to be fully complete
default_smile.png
Mine are due late April.

Thank you...what a relief my is also due the end of April. I shouldn't keep putting it off but it's kind of hard parting with that kind of money. I know it will be worth it in the long run. Better be calling today.

Question about the dna process because I just don't get it. Why does the horse have to be dna'd twice? Why can't the horse be dna'd by the steward and that's that?

Latest posts

Back