AMHA Country vs Single Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightflight

Reaction score
At a show about two weeks ago with my five year old AOTE driving gelding I was having a discussion with some family about which direction I was going to take my driving horse in, country or single. After the last driving class of the day I went to the practice arena and had someone snap some pictures of "Go C" doing "country movement" and "single movement" I just thought I would share!

gogo%20drive%20fiesta%202.jpg

This is what I would consider "country movement". Go C is showing a nice extension, a good length of stride, and a sweeping movement from the shoulder. For showing a would like to see a more relaxed rein on him. When I'm driving like this I can really feel the swing is his step. To get this I have to ask him to EXTEND.

gogo%20drive%20fiesta%201.jpg

This is what I would call "single movement". It has a little flash and a lot of knee action. When driving like this the horse feels a little more "hollow". It's sort of like reving the engine while being in a higher gear. To get this I have to ask him to MOVE UP. He isn't really reaching under himself as much as I would like in this picture, but it's still a better photo than I could have taken!

BWT (for the overcheck police) This horse was started completely without an overcheck at home until he learned the basics of good movement. He wears the check like this for shows and the occasional "lets pretend" at home, but usually goes without a check or with an check extendor. He has never worn a martingale. I made no harness adjustments between these pictures.

Who else has movement pictures to share?

Colleen... I LOVE that little driving horse! Good pictures to illustrate the difference...

I'm by no means an "overcheck police" (I also start my horses with no overcheck... well one just tight enough they can't drop their heads below their chest) but I think the "country" version would need a slightly looser overcheck rein to be a perfect illustration. He is still going a bit Single Pleasure in the first picture.

Wish I had pictures to share!

Andrea

Very nice horse! :new_shocked: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

The "overcheck police" here (yes, I'm guilty, if only in my own head) weren't going to say a word about this horse because he is not hollowed out through the back nor is he resisting the bit. And now that you've told us how you trained him we know why! :lol: Good for you!

He does have very free action through the shoulder and a nice stride, although I wouldn't call what he's doing in the first photo extending. His hind leg does not even appear to be tracking up at that particular moment nevermind being deeply flexed and over-striding the track of his forehoof. However the picture gives no indication of how fast he's traveling and we all know that makes a big difference. (I have become SOOO biased by seeing warmbloods in combined driving! LOL. Using the term as it's defined in the breed ring, yes, he's probably showing great extension there.) It is a very pretty picture and I agree with you that for country the check should be longer so he can lengthen his frame a bit.

A fantastic job of both training and driving. I congratulate you.

Leia

Thanks for the great comments!

Leia - Go C wasn't going very fast in either of these photos.. without other horses in the ring he isn't very confident yet.

I absolutely love how happy your horse looks Sweet Opal. He absolutely looks like a pleasure to drive.

I really don't have any good pictures of my horse since I don't show. Plus I mostly drive him as a team with my other stallion, but this is what I do have of him going single. I drive him open bridle, no check, and no martingale. I think he's a country mover, but I'm a pretty bad judge of that to be exact
default_rolleyes.gif
: . I do love both of the horses shown above, they look so pretty, and so happy
default_yes.gif
:

I am just starting to slow down and collect him in this picture so it is a little "off"

Mavericktrot.jpg

He is just at a comfortable trot in this one, probably needs to be a little more into the bit here, but I only drive for fun so I keep him as loose as possible.

Mavericktrotting.jpg

Latest posts

Back