AMHA convention

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
AMHA convention is coming up and just wondering what topics you would like introduced or changed. I personally would like to see the World Show actually become a World Show. People spend their hard earned time and money to be there and it's just like any other show. Yes, the barn decor is nice and yes, there are a whole bunch of great folks there. But I really think we need some lights and glitter and certainly better music! (With today's technology certainly they can come up with something better than taped organ musical version of "The Yellow Rose of Texas." No offense to Texas!) Add some drama. Make it special!!! Add a Stallion parade of past World Grand Ch. Stallions. Have a retirement ceremony for horses that are ending their show career to go to the breeding shed or pasture. Find someway to measure horses!!! You work very hard all year to get there....make it memorable. Let's hear what you guys think!

i thought the music was fabulous! i really did think the music they played fit every class that was showing. honestly i was amazed by the work it must have taken to find appropriate music for all those diff classes. this was my first amha world show and i was pretty amazed by all of it. sure looked like a world show to me

I'd like to see a discounted hardship price for AMHR horses, in reciprocity for the way AMHR will do for the AMHA horses, now.

For $200 plus regular registration fees, you've got horses with a background, recaputring and tracking bloodlines and improving recordkeeping and usability.

Keep the inspection and age of 5 to qualify

[SIZE=21pt]e-voting!!![/SIZE]! In this day and age there is no excuse for ALL members not being able to vote on issues!
aktion033.gif

Charlotte

I agree with Charlotte! E-VOTING!!!!!!! Long over due!

Viki

I agree!!! [SIZE=21pt]E Voting[/SIZE]!! There are way too many issues being decided by just a handful of people at the National meeting. Many, many people would love to vote (and it's important for them to vote!) but just don't have the $$$ or time to hop a plane and be gone for days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a newbie here, but what about a more central location for the World show? Somewhere I read they were trying to figure out how to get more AOTE participation at the show. Unless you feel confident you'd make top ten, or something, what working amateur is going to invest the money or the vacation time to travel to TX? I'm biased because I live in the Northeast, but I certainly don't expect it to be in my backyard, either. I realize you're talking about 1,000 horses so it has to be a large facility. I know the showgrounds in Louisville is big enough and surely there must be other central US venues in Iowa or somewhere with a big enough facility. Another thought, although I don't know how feasible, would be to rotate the location each year, or every so many years, around the country.

Moving a national show around the country is not as easy as it sounds.Any facility that is adequate enough to accomodate us is already booked many years in advance.The Arabian people have a good system. 1 year their national show is in KY the next year in NM.Don't know what the facility does in the off year.A few years back AMHA nationals was rotated and it became a problem.I, for 1, would like to see it rotated, but I don't see it happening any time soon.Even AMHR nationals is in a permanent location.The cities court the associations because it brings big bucks to their city in motels gas food rentals of furniture, etc.

Ditton what Bevann said, plus the Arabs are no longer moving around from what I have heard, but are moving to Oklahoma. Believe it or not if you look at a map Oklahoma City is about the center of the country......

Add to the other problems is getting dates, no facility will go for an every other year agreement, plus it is horribly expensive to move the AMHA staff and house them etc.

As for e-voting. I have responded and responded and no reaction so nuff said on that topic by me.
wacko.gif

sfmini said:
plus the Arabs are no longer moving around from what I have heard,
534460[/snapback]

We have one more year in Louisville (2006) and one more year in Albuquerque (2007) and starting in 2008 we will be going to Tulsa, OK for Nationals.

And to be quite honest, everyone complains no matter where we go. People hate this about Louisville, people hate that about Albuquerque. Human nature. You are never going to please all of the people, all of the time. So you just get on with it. Everything has it's priorities. If it is important enough for a person to want to go to Nationals they will go. Albuquerque is a long darn way from Florida, but I have been there every time the Fairgrounds have opened the gates for US Nationals since 1974. Why? Because I make it a priority. I personally get tired of all the whining
crybaby.gif
517.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
YES to E Voting, long overdue.

I don't think you will see the World show go back to a rotating schedule for reasons already given. It is a long haul for those from the east or west coast, but Oklahoma and north Texas are fairly central and both have wonderful show facilities that cater to many different breed national or world shows, as well as a normally milder climate. QH and QH Youth, Paint, Pinto, Palomino, Appaloosa all have their world shows in TX or OK, as well as AMHA and AMHR and probably a few others I'm not aware of. We were in Ft Worth a couple of months ago and stopped in to watch some of the Andalusian Nationals - very cool, by the way.
yes.gif

Part of the rationale for making the regional shows "Championships" was to give more importance to them for those who don't make the longer journey to World.

Jan

I agree with E-Voting.

Rotating the World Show is not an option. (I've attended too many annual meetings that have discussed it.) All of the major facilities are booked FIVE YEARS in advance and won't consider it.

I do agree that the Regional Championships should be given more importance than they are now....

MA

E voting - way way way overdue!

As for the World Show - Tulsa or Ft. Worth - it's about the same distance for us on the West Coast. Rotating would be nice, but what a pain for management.

Back