AMHA/AMHR/ASPC horses - your thoughts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I would like to know everyone's opinions on triple registered horses and your feelings on their value to breeding programs.

Would you have a triple registered breeding program? What do you feel are the pros and cons?

Thanks guys!

I like the triple registered horses a lot. (Add PInto to the spotted ones and I'm estatic!)

It's hard to say why, maybe it's all the options you have; you're not limited in shows at all. Or maybe if you offer your stallion to outside people, you have so many more mares available. Even your OWN mares, for that matter!

We have five stallions in house: three AMHA/AMHR, one AMHR/ASPC and one AMHR/AMHA/APtHA. We love to be able to hardship the AMHR/ASPC guy, but he's only a yearling and the registry closes this year (not to mention the COST!)

Someday we'll have our triple play!

I recently expanded into triple registered horses. I really like the Shetland look personally. I know some people dont feel there is a place for Shetlands in the "mini world", but essentially minis are a height registry, so if it measures in, its a mini plain and simple. (I realize AMHA is closing the books, but at this point, all it is is a height registry...) Recently there have been alot of A size Shetlands doing really well, from what I have seen watching the World show and National show. I also feel that Shetlands will be an important option when the dwarf tests come out (JMHO). I think the small Shetlands are another "branch" of minis, there are people that have falabellas, people that have appaloosas, people that have driving horses, etc. Its nice that we have so many options with minis to have what we like, and leave what we dont. I think the main "con" I anticipate is having offspring that may be over sized. But, those horses will still be aspc/amhr, so its not like they would lose their papers like an AMHA only horse that goes over. And I have seen many horses from 30" parents get to B size, so guess its hard guarantee size no matter what!

If it's a good horse, I love them all- the more the merrier!
default_smile.png
I'm with Field of Dreams, it expands your horse world and also the shows you can attend! (more fun!)

Latest posts

Back