American Saddlebred...anyone own one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I just love american saddlebreds, i've recently had the luxury of going out riding on a couple and I am still, days later, grinning from ear to ear! They are so upheaded, beautifully put together, smooth ride, fun people oriented personalities and their history/pedigree's are amazing going all the way back into the 1800's or so, with pictures!

If anyone here owns a saddlebred i'd love to see pictures and hear about why YOU love your saddlebred!

default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I have always had Saddlebreds when I did the big horses. I have 1 Saddlebred left. He's 20 years old this year and was VERY good to me as a show horse and is enjoying his retirement. We bought him in 1996 and he is by far the most honest, big hearted, most personable Saddlebred I've ever had. He was one of those hard to find show horses that you could do Saddleseat, Western and show in the Saddlebred Huntseat classes and win under all 3 seats. He also drove. He won over 100 blue ribbons in the time I showed him, is the only American Saddlebred who qualified for both the New England SAddleseat Medal Finals and New England Stock Seat Medal Finals. Qualified for the Saddle & Bridle Finals in both Hunt and Western 3 times each. He is just a good, honest horse who I will never, ever find a replacement for. It was after we retired him from showing that I got out of big horses and more into the Mini's. I couldn't find anything even close to him, so I stopped trying. His website is Here

foxhead.jpg

lineup.jpg

foxinhorseillistrated.jpg

Here is a Saddlebred mare I owned for a few years who I really enjoyed as well. I have had my regrets selling her, but the lady who has her loves her to death. She was a very fun horse to ride.

sadiead2.jpg

I've tried owning Appy's, Morgans, etc......but, I always went back to my Saddlebreds
default_wub.png
If/when I get another full sized horse, I can't imagine having anything but a Saddlebred!

~Jen~

I did own one for awhile; she was a nice looking mare, good moving, but she was as SNAKEY as a horse can be and we were very glad when we found a buyer for her! She was okay to ride, but just overall obnoxious to have around and I'd never buy another one of the breed. No comparison at all to our Morgans!

I have always had saddlebreds and arabians. I LOVE those two breeds. My saddlebreds have always been trained 5 gaited and have been shown very successfully. Its true, most have energy to burn but they are beautiful and that is what makes them so special. I'm not home right now, but if you go back thru some old posts I have posted pics of mine before. I will post them again when I get home. My saddlebred Stonewalls Fizz has retired hundreds of traveling trophies. I just love my guy, he is now retired and spending his life with our Nazarian. Mine is quit the character..one foot gets raised to get on..and hes all show, and ready to get the show on the road..despite the fact tha he is retired! He also has his own fan club, whihc followed him to shows throughout the midwest and they still keep in touch with me/him and some have come out to our farm for his b-day!

Corinne

We have a part-Saddlebred.

This is my husband's horse, Tabasko. His dad is a National Show horse, His mom is an Arabian. So he's 3/4 arabian and 1/4 Saddlebred. He's a great horse! We love him!

tabasko1.jpg

tabasko2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Jen, Fox is absolutely gorgeous! He looks so much like the two that I got to ride...one was chestnut with 4 socks, the other was chestnut with one rear sock...Fox is chestnut with 3 socks lol must be a common color pattern! It sounds like he was just incredibly versatile and kept you happy the whole way through!

Minimor - I met a mare who was absolutely breathtaking in her movement, but an absolute nutcase too! I wouldn't own her if I was paid to but under the right handler she is simply breathtaking!

Corinne - I didn't know you owned saddlebreds you stinker! I'd love to see pictures!

The two I got to ride are the most laid back saddlebreds ever and I hear it's a real treat to find such laid back, mellow saddlebreds! I love them, they're tall 16hh boys but oh so gentle with a rider. One is so laid back you have to really encourage him to keep going, the other is more forward going and has a mind of his own but what a fun ride! I can't wait to ride them again =)

oooo Tabasko is gorgeous!! He has the sweetest face and I love his coloring!

Last edited by a moderator:
We had one who sadly passed away in January. She was a very funny horse. She followed us everywhere and snorted at everything. She was very showy and loved dearly. Her name was Sweet Sally Rose.

sally.jpg

Sallyside.jpg

FunnyandSally.jpg

Awww yes you just described one of the boys I got to ride, loved to snort at anything lol but harmlessly =) I got to go ride again today outside and it was just awesome! I am in love
default_wub.png

I love American Saddlebreds!!! And of National Show Horses, Hackneys and Arabians. I love riding saddleseat in general. That is def. my discipline of choice. Your boy is just gorgeous makes me wonder how my old hackney pony Piccillo is doing....All the horses I rode were all 5 gaited trained/ broke to drive. Talk about alot of those guys are. Fabulous road ponies :D

Latest posts

Back