Amateur Radio

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogs & LittleHorses

Reaction score
I've been thinking about going after a Technician's license... I used to talk on the CB in the 80's. All of my friends had mobile and base station radios and used to meet for "Breaks" at restaurants every few months or so. I enjoyed talking to people and occasionally working someone out of state when the band conditions / sunspot cycle was just right on SSB.

Don't particularly want to get back on the CB... there were too many nuts on there and some were potentially violent!
default_wacko.png

Will have to do some studying up on the rules/regulations, bands and radio theory. I know children can pass the test so I think I should be able to do it as well!
default_wink.png

Daryl

Susan is WD5KGD (Technician) and I am WB5ODA (General). Used to be real active BH (Before Horses). Haven't talked on the radio since then.

default_wink.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi From SC. So funny to read this post. As usually when I am here in the evening "catching up" my hubby is right around the corner piddling with his cb. I read this post to him. While the horses are my hobby the cb is his. Not sure what got him started with it a few months ago? But now he is compiling a "radio room". He loves to speak with folks and has made buddies with folks in the Dominican Republic to a few men who are approx 50 miles from us. He really enjoys it. He says to let him know when you get up and going. He is the 351 out of SC. He also made the comment that the cb is different from several years ago. Everyone that he has spoke with and "tested" distance etc have been great. Not scary. I have even put a cb in my truck and it has been great when going to shows to hear traffic updates.

Really?! Did you just get bored with it after awhile? Just not enough time to do both horses and radio?

I'd like to get a license and some sort of base station here before winter so I have something else to do during the long winter evenings.
default_smile.png

Daryl

Susan is WD5KGD (Technician) and I am WB5ODA (General). Used to be real active BH (Before Horses). Haven't talked on the radio since then.
default_wink.png

That's funny. I still have my CB radio. It has a few modifications like funny channels.
default_rolleyes.gif

There used to be some creeps that had huge amplifiers that would shut the channels down. I heard stories of people getting their coax cable pinned which would destroy a radio when the operator tried to transmit. :DOH!

Maybe I should hook it up and see what is going on out there again! I think I have a Firestick antenna somewhere and the metal roof would make a great ground plane!

Daryl

default_saludando.gif
Hi From SC. So funny to read this post. As usually when I am here in the evening "catching up" my hubby is right around the corner piddling with his cb. I read this post to him. While the horses are my hobby the cb is his. Not sure what got him started with it a few months ago? But now he is compiling a "radio room". He loves to speak with folks and has made buddies with folks in the Dominican Republic to a few men who are approx 50 miles from us. He really enjoys it. He says to let him know when you get up and going. He is the 351 out of SC. He also made the comment that the cb is different from several years ago. Everyone that he has spoke with and "tested" distance etc have been great. Not scary. I have even put a cb in my truck and it has been great when going to shows to hear traffic updates.

Really?! Did you just get bored with it after awhile? Just not enough time to do both horses and radio?
I'd like to get a license and some sort of base station here before winter so I have something else to do during the long winter evenings.
default_smile.png

Daryl

default_wink.png

I had a base station for a while with a 90ft tower and 4 band yagi antenna. Then we moved and I sold it all. Stuck with the 2 meter mobile units for a long time and then got cell phones. When we both got out of school and the horses came along in 1993, no more radio or golf or flying.
default_smile.png

Back