Am I the only crazy one?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcr

Reaction score
Okay, show season is now officially over for me and it has been a tough year of running the road and being in debt to my eyeballs. I got a burr in my bonnet (and other places) and decided I wanted to do something just for me. As though showing horses isn't masochistic enough I decided self improvement was the thing to do.

One of my greatest pleasures during the warm months is to clean paddocks then sit on the porch, smoke a couple cigarettes and drink a beer. Try that all day then you start posting on the weight thread. I stopped stocking beer in the house and immediately lost 10 pounds. Yeah!!!!

That wasn't torture enough so I have quit smoking and am into it for 3 1/2 weeks now. I am showing much improvement as I am not licking ashtrays or ripping anyone's head off.

Nope not painful enough, Sedeh and I are going on a weight loss program next week.

Am I the only crazy one out there?

Not a beer drinker but I just gave up my pepsi and lost 12 pounds at my last weigh in at the doctor's office. I'm thrilled with myself. I'm taking my meds that I am supposed to and not cheating on them and I feel great for the first time in a long time. I'm not limiping or crippled up and don't need to ride the Walmart scooter anymore to shop. That is great because I can't fit much in that stupid little basket. Now if I can quit smoking, I can really feel better.

When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of something much different but since this is the subject, YES!!! First fantastic for you!!! Beer and ciggies are ick and you are doing your whole life and everyone around a a major favor....Hurray for you and a wonderful life decision!!!!! Whooohooooooo!!!!!!

For me, I gave up all types of soda at the beginning of the year and switched to fruit smoothies. The ones I have are all natural and very healthy. I have not had a single fast food hamburger all year either. I also drink fruit juices and lots of milk but absolutely no soda what so ever. Oh, I also gave up tea. I used to drink hot tea in the morning and the way I have it I add a ton of sugar so I gave that up too because of the sugar. I feel better than I have in years and I have much more energy now too.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Yay for all of you!! I'm on the bandwagon too! After watchng my husband take his health/life back into his own hands, I decided to join him. I've cut out the sweets, eat healthy (both of which were MAJOR challenges for me). Never had the soda issue, but for him, it was major and he lost a LOT just from cutting THAT out. I'm exercising and actually looking forward to it each day now (never EVER thought THAT would happen!
wink.gif
).

We are each doing it for ourselves and also because we want to be around to see our grandkids and great grandkids. I was on the fasttrack to diabetes (had been told as much by my Dr.) and my husband was terribly close to a heartattack (every man in his family has died from one), but now he's in a much better situation to avoid it at an early age.

Kathi!

I just came in from pounding t-posts for the winter pasture (will post the story later, as Miss Cindy's regained her sense of humor) and read your thread!

The way you wrote about sittin outside the barn with a beer and cigarette just made me laugh out loud.....talk about a visual! Don't smoke or drink beer, but like to hang out after chores with a Diet Dew with the women-folk to gossip and tell lies! LOL!

My friend who smoked for over 40 years and tried everything imaginable to quit, including hypnosis, had no success until he did the patches. He's a retired fire battalion chief and bomb disposal expert for L.A. County....so you can imagine how desperate he was to quit to go to some hypno-hack!

Hey, Marty and Kathi......try the CHEERIOS DIET! No kiddin! For some reason, I can go most of the day without eating, then come nighttime when it's time to wind down I eat like a pig! When I couldn't tie my shoes without running short of breath, that was a clear indication that something "had to give".

Now, during the evening, I sit down with my box of Cheerios and munch away. I lost 15 pounds in 1-1/2 months. Give it a whirl!

Thanks for the story, Kathi!

Cindy

saludando.gif

Well, if you really wanna be crazy and spontanious, you can send me that horse in your avatar!

Good luck with the smokeing.

Just lost twenty one pounds- just for me. I feel SO much better
yes.gif
Fat Hobbits are NOT a pretty sight
smile.gif

I love taking care of hubby, ( I know, I am a conundrum LOL) since I cannot work I thouroughly enjoy cooking etc. Do want some measure of help but oh well.

I do a lot of stuff for myself. Loosing weight, eatting healthy etc. Also take soaking baths everynow and again w/a good book. I keep dark choc Dove Promises in the fridge and have one when I need it LOL Also I cut coupons and use that money saved ( best year I saved nearly $1500) on myself. Since hubby works out of town that means I buy myself a lobster, cheesecake and enjoy the fruits of my labor
rolleyes.gif
every few months.

Like Dr Phil says, you have to take care of yourself before you take care of everyone else ( not exactly his words, but the meaning LOL)

rabbitsfizz said:
Just lost twenty one pounds- just for me.  I feel SO much better
yes.gif
  Fat Hobbits are NOT a pretty sight
smile.gif

480176[/snapback]

Great job, Jane!
aktion033.gif

Now, what's your secret? I've taken to eating zero calorie popsicles in the evening and the jeans are getting too snug....again!

Bad time for me to post on this one, though remember the 30 lbs I lost early last year?? Here I am 7 months pregnant and I've only gained 29 lbs back. This is my fourth pregnancy but the first time that I haven't taken being pregnant as a license to eat like a pig. I knew I was doing a lot better this time when the doctor referred to me as being "petite" this time around. I said are you kidding me? NO ONE calls me petite even when I am not pregnant - I mean, I am almost 5'9" tall. He said "compared to your other pregnancies you sure are, you always gained 70-75 lbs by the time you hit your due date, and here you are, almost done; I doubt very much you will put on another 40 lbs in the next two months.

The baby, by the way, is doing just fine and is actually ahead in regards to his growth and size so I think eating better, making better choices and staying more active this time around all have made a major difference not just for me, but for the baby too.

Can't wait though, to have the baby and get back to where I was after I'd lost the weight. Even more exciting is knowing that at least half that weight will come off before I leave the hospital.

I know what everyone means, when I'd lost the weight last year I just felt so much better, had more energy, I know I looked better and I loved being back in smaller sizes. I only had a couple of months to enjoy all of that that before I started putting on the pregnancy pounds and dealing with all the fatigue and stuff that comes along with pregnancy.

Nope not me....I don't drink soda/pop of any kind......I love my coffee and tea....I enjoy my beer/or wine......don't often eat sweets.....tried to quit smoking and now I smoke even more......I should exercise more...I should quit all the things that I enjoy.....but not gonna happen anytime real soon
wacko.gif
rolleyes.gif

Good for you that is wonderful!!

You have definately taken on a lot to quit all that!!

I used to smoke and I loved it
biggrin.gif
I quit the day I found out I was pregnant with my first child and have missed it ever since
biggrin.gif
but I am glad I quit but unlike many ex smokers I still love the smell and don't find it one bit gross!!

I don't drink beer or soda but I love to have a cocktail/glass of wine now and then, hubby wishes I would drink more, he says I am great fun when I drink!!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I did loose 25 lbs since January and I feel wonderful! No way is it going back on! It was so much fun putting on the weight but I didn't like how I felt or looked. I love food and the word diet is just a horrible four letter word but I have figured out how to eat well!

I hope you can stay with you goals!!
smile.gif
Good Luck!

I cut out sodas when I got pregnant- just couldn't finish a whole can. Still can't. I also cut out caffine, and ended up coming up with Gestational Diabetes- so I cut ALOT more out. Geez was I bummed- chocolate and donuts are two of my favorite things
sad.gif

Well, my total weight gain for the whole pregnancy was 2 pounds. I actually gained six, lost six, and then between the two appointments in one week, gained 2 lbs. I was a grand total of 185 when they induced: the heaviest I have ever been.

I was terrified early on that I'd hit 200 and go over that. I've been "heavy" (around 150) for as long as I could remember- well, in the 22nd (I gave birth on the 12th) of the month I gave birth, I was 155
new_shocked.gif
Weirdly, you could see the weight loss even while I was pregnant- my arms and face were slimmer, etc.

Watching carbs, portion sizes, and not having the sodas and candy, etc is what did it. Mostly the carbs/portions.

I've really been doing badly since I had Nathan. I've got to get back on track and clean up my act- I felt better while I was 8 months pregnant (well, except for the aches pains and pregnancy stuff :p) then I had felt in a long while- I can't imagine how I'd have felt if I HADN'T been 7-8 months in.

I get to have the diabetes testing done again soon. Wish me luck- I'm scared
no.gif

Wish me luck in getting back into better eating habits, too. I still need to loose 20lbs, according to BMI (Body Mass Index). I'm 5'2 1/2- they say I should be about 130lbs.

I can't give up smoking or drinking- I never did either. Guess I'll give up candy & sodas (again) and go back to Splenda sweetened Kool-Aid and the like. Already gave up caffine

Okay, 4 weeks and still not smoking. No beer in the house and tomorrow Sandy(Sedeh) and I start our diets and exercise programs. I am sleep deprived from the Wellbutrin and hyper and would kill for a beer at times.

Anyone want to join us and keep each other accountable? Let's see how wild and crazy you people are out there.

Latest posts

Back