AM I CRAZY?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please tell hubby to go get the carcas, call the health dept. in your area they will advise you where to take it, rabies also has a passive form and you can't tell just by looking at the animal, but that is not normal behaviour.
EXACTLY

ABSOLUTELY, find the carcass and call the Public Health Dep't. to find out where to take it for testing...delay no longer, for heaven's sake!! That is NOT normal behavior for a skunk; they are widely known to be one of the worst 'reservoirs' for rabies, and are frequently one of the species infected when rabies rears its ugly head.

Margo in NM, where there have been serious outbreaks of rabies in a couple of areas of my state in recent years, and who is getting rabies vaccine for her horses and mule this year, for the first time EVER.

If the brain is intact, get that thing tested ASAP! Most states test for free. In Ohio, rabies is spreading and turning into a dangerous situation. Pete shot a Raccoon a few weeks ago, but shot in the head so we couldn't get it tested. It was in broad daylight and 10+ shots to kill it.

Need to check our dogs' records and see if any are due for rabies vaccine.

The thought of skunks brought back a memory for me.

My osteo-impaired old mother used to set up traps for the skunks. Then she'd go out with a 22 and shoot them through the trap. To this day I don't know how she didn't get 'scented.'

The one time (when she was near the end) my husband helped her, he got liberally sprayed. I didn't get to observe this because I was deployed (in the military) but apparently my husband had to strip naked in front of my old mom, get hosed off, soaped down, etc. Other than the sad part about my mother, it still brings a giggle to my thoughts to think of him going through that.

Since then somebody told me skunks are endangered (protected species) somewhere; I wonder if that's true?

I don't know what happened to the skunk's body. He was a smallish young one. Like an early teenager. The kitten is just fine though. I keep watching her, but so far, 10 days later she's normal as can be.

The incubation period for rabies is typically

one to three months so you will need to keep watching the kitten for awhile yet. It can apparently show up in mere days but that is not the usual. I gave also heard of some instances where it took six months before the animal became clinically ill...some sources say the incubation can be YEARS (and that is scary IMO) --there is at least one documented case of an Australian girl who became ill and died five years after her last possible exposure. I'm not sure there is ever such a long incubation period in animals.

The virus is present in saliva only the last days of the animal's life, which is why animals that bite a human are typically quarantined for 10 days--the animal would not be contagious for any more than its last ten days of life .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I'm behind in emails Holly!
default_cheekkiss.gif

I'm watching the kitten and the others.
default_yes.gif
(trust me)

Shouldn't cost anything to get the Skunk tested,,, that's not normal behavior for them. I have a number of skunks around here and they are laid back and mellow.

REO... you are a brave bold woman to go up against a skunk! Hope the kitten will be ok!!

I know that when one of my mares goes into labor.........MOVE!!!!!!! Do NOT get in my way! House cats, hubby flying as I run past LOL.

One year I ran out the front door to go to my mare and RIGHT THERE was a big skunk! Split second thinking, I was going to kick it and keep going but I leaped over it instead.

I guess if one of my kids needs me, I'm a mad bull momma and nothing will stop me from helping.

Kitty is fine
default_smile.png
They're having a ball playing.

Saw this one late...

Did you at least contact your health department/State Ag center to let them know that you might have some rabid skunks in the area? That way others, especially hunters or private owners out in the boonies, will have a "heads up" of a possible problem.

Glad your kitties are OK. I've done the same.

Did not realize that it could take that long for Rabies to "show up" or become active! Definitely learned a lot today!

Since you physically handled the skunk you MUST get it tested!!!! That is totally unusual behavior for a skunk and very high likelihood of rabies! Do NOT delay!!!!! A local farm once had a baby dairy calf that came down with rabies (probably bitten by a skunk). It was a bottle/bucket baby so a number of different people handled the calf. All had to have a rabies shot, including my brother (they have changed the protocol so it is not so gruesome as in the past).

Just read the remaining posts - since you don't know where the skunk carcass is - you really MUST go see your doctor. PLEASE!

Since a skunk is kind of a weasel I guess it makes sense that they're brazen. Besides, who would cross one? Not many lol. I will always remember my encounter with an ermine that lived near a bridge at my parent's house. He was a fearless creature. I nicknamed him the bridge troll. Tiny and wild but unafraid of people. It could have been that the skunk was fine but determined to make the kitten a meal. Just keep a close watch.

Also encountered a skunk at my parent's barn. They aren't fearful animals. I was lucky I didn't get skunked because I threw a can at it and it didn't back down, nor did it spray me. Luckily.

It didn't run at me. Just kind of walked. I had thrown it HARD against a wood post. Thrown a 15 lb cushion at it and knocked it flat then kicked it in the face and sent it smashing against a wooden post again. I don't think it knew where it was walking.

Latest posts

Back