almost lost a mare last night!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
Long story.....

It been so hot and dry here in ND 90s to 100above for weeks,with no real rain for longer.

Sunday night was our month for the monthy BBQ we have with friends. So with the heat and getting ready for the company ect, I did not check my horses that day. But around dark one of the kids saw the miniatures had some how gotten in one of the hay fences. So they went over and got them out. Fixed the fence and went back to playing volley ball.

Well last evening around 8,I went out to check to work with the foals. I was working with Spades and just happened to look around for his mama Belle. And could not see her,odd. She is one of those mares who really stays with her foal. I went looking. And could not find her searched the pasture (about 25 acres,with trees ect) NO Belle.I knew something had to wrong.So I ran to the house and asked the girls to come help look, we looked for 2 hours,walked every inch of the trees and high weeds around the barns. Then Kristine says I'll check the hay fence maybe she got back in there. So she goes off,Cyndi and I decided to go and get the 4 wheeler thinking maybe she got out of the fence and is in the trees along the feild. And about 5 minutes later I hear Kristine yelling for help. She just happend to be walking along the top of the bales,something my kids have been told many times not to do,in case they would fall between bales.But thank God she did, or she would never of seen Belle!

Here Belle had gotten between two rows of big bales. They are 3 large big bales high and about 20 bales long. I have no idea how she got in there. But there she was pinned between the bales. We went down in with her and she was very thin.... dehydrated, was thunping and shaking bad.She must of been there sence the other night :new_shocked: No way could I turn her around or back her out. I really have no idea how she could of getten back there!!

I sent one girl for water and the other to the house to call Ron who was out cutting hay 4 miles away. She also called the vet,who was not there, left a message and came back out. We gave her 4 gallons of water and elctrolites..

Ron came right away and moved about 10 bales made a hole to lead her out of.I went out got Spades,who was very happy to see his mama! We put them in the barn, with hay a lots of water. Check her a few times last night. She seemed to be doing fine. Her shaking and thumping stopped and was filling out again. But I was worried she would colic.

The vet called back this morning. Said we did the right thing and of all seemed well no need in coming out.

This morning I put her back out with the others and she seems no worse for the ordeal.

I was lucky, I could of lost her. I do not know how much longer she could of lasted in the heat with no water or shade. :no: It must of been so hot in there, no breeze, in the sun.Poor little mare. The kids feel bad and say they did not notice she was not with the herd when they ran out of the fence. I feel bad I should of taken the time to go out and checked everyone that day. Thank God we found her and she seems well.

I was very lucky and blessed that all turned out OK.

Oh how bad for her and lucky you did find her in time. Hope all is well.

Oh poor Belle! Thank goodness you found her in time. Isn't it amazing how they can get in the worst trouble not even trying.
default_yes.gif
: Two of mine came in with burrs in their manes today and for the life of me I can't figure out where they got them. Anyway, just wanted to give you a :aktion033: for finding her in time.

That is soooo scary. I'm so glad you found your mare and that she is doing well. A good reminder to all of us to count heads in this heat.

Aww Poor Darling the heat is so bad here especially it being 37 here which is veyr abnormal liek 25 is high for us normally or 30 mabe!

Wow, the good Lord was watching over her, that you did not loose her. With the heat,

and no water. And the baby, I bet he was so happy to see his mommy. How so scary.

Glad all turned out okay. But it is a good reminder to keep a very close eye on our horses

with this heat.

Keep us updated on her and the baby

Vicky

Whoa, how terrifying! Thank goodness you found her in time. I'm glad you got her and took care of her. It sounds like she's doing well now. Keep us posted and I know how HOT it's been lately for this part of the country
default_wacko.png
:

Yes I was very lucky all has turned out fine.

Both Belle and Spades show no signs of the ordeal. But Belle is freindler, normaly she will not be pet out in pasture, but now comes over to say HI.
default_smile.png

I have been wondering if maybe this could cause her problems with her 2007 foal. I guess only time will tell.

And yes plaese check your horse at least once a day. I normaly do check mine 2 times at day. Once in the morning and once later in the day or evening. But with church and company coming I just did not.
default_unsure.png
:

Always count heads and take note of anything odd.

Latest posts

Back