Alfalfa pellets vs Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkie09

Reaction score
I need some advise. I've been feeding strategy with some alfalfa pellets, handful of BOSS and hay. Everything has been going great and my horses look the best they have yet. My problem is

the alfalfa pellets changed in size from rabbit size now to pencil width. They are too big and they won't eat them, and I'm also afraid of choke. I've been soaking them but have had a mess.

It is either too dry and they won't eat it or it is too wet and they pack it into the corner of the bucket and can't get it out. I thought maybe I would go to beet pulp instead. I've been feeding

beet pulp to a couple old large horses for years to maintain weight.

The reason I'm adding the alfalfa is to replace the deficiency in the hay I'm feeding. Should I continue to try to feed this mess or go to beet pulp. My main goal is not to add any weight to them,

just the nutrients the hay is lacking. Maybe there is something else to supplement that I'm not thinking of.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Nancy

I do not see a problem with the 3/4 in size pellets or pellets the width of a pencil which is a good description lol i would not have thought to use it
default_wink.png

My horses eat those pellets as do the babies and unless your horses have major teeth issues I do not think it will be a problem at all for them to eat them and you to be able to continue the diet you have had them on

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Yorkie9 (Nancy)!

Alfalfa and beet pulp are pretty dissimilar from a nutrition stand point so I wouldn't try to totally substitute beet bulp for alfalfa. Beet pulp can be up to 1/3 of the forage in a horse's diet according to 'the experts'.

I'm going to suggest giving your horses more time with the 'pencil' sized alfalfa pellets so that they can get used to eating them. Like you, I've never found that wetting alfalfa pellets works well. they turn to mush. If I'm going to use wet alfalfa I use soaked cubes.

What you describe sounds like the size of alfalfa pellets I have used for years and not had a problem with them. (1/4" is what they are called at the feed stores here)

Now, if I had a 'gobbler', then I might worry. In that case I'd put the pellets in a large flat pan type of feeder so they were spread out and not easy to get big mouthfuls at one time. I might also put a large smooth rock in there so the horse has to move it around to get the pellets. But I've had 'gobblers' choke on ANY kind of feed, not just pelleted.

Good luck with your feed issues.

Charlotte

Thanks for your replies. I would feed the pellets if they would eat them. These mini's are funny. I go to get the food bins out of the stalls and they pick out all the strategy and boss and leave

all the alfalfa. It has been a couple weeks since the size change so I'll give it some more time.

Yorkie - you might try running the pellets thru your food processor or blender to chop them up some. I do that for dog food when I am starting puppies and want to make the bites smaller - works great - of course, you kind of need to dedicate an hour or so to grinding it all up and then getting it all rebagged LOL !

Stac

A couple of weeks? those guys need to come around! they should be adjusting to the change by now. Hmmmm. Have you tried a different brand of pellets if that's available to you? I have had horses not like a certqain brand of alf pellets.

Please keep us posted on what you do and what works........I'm always looking to learn something new.

Cahrlotte

Yes Charlotte is right it is 1/4 inch pellets not 3/4 those are the big ones LOL

We use the 1/4 inch and even our foals have no problem eating them

Maybe try giving the pellets first. Give them a good 30-60 minutes and then give them the rest of their feed. They might stand there looking at it for a few minutes but when they are hungry they will eat. My dad had a saying "let them go long enough and they will eat a peanut butter sandwich." I have found this very true. You have to be more stubborn than they are.

I have a horse that I am trying to put more weight on and he is getting in a bucket beet pulp, 12% pellets, and alfalfa pellets. We then add warm water to it and stir it all together and let the grain and alfalfa get soggy and then pour it out into his bunk. If it is not correct he will let us know. We do this 2x/day. We mix with warm water and then it sets for about 10-15 minutes before feeding to cool down. Brian is out doing other chores before giving it to him and he is doing very well.

Yes the pellets have gotten larger but my older horses have not had a problem with them. I spread them out in a bunk so it is not in one large pile.

Tracey

Is it the same brand, and just the size has changed? I agree with Charlotte, maybe try changing brands, as I've had to do that before.

I get alfalfa pellets at Tractor supply, and they are the smallest ive been able to find. I think theyre the producers pride brand?

I get alfalfa pellets at Tractor supply, and they are the smallest ive been able to find. I think theyre the producers pride brand?

I use to get my pellets at Tractor supply but the last 2 to 3 weeks the pellets have been bigger AND they have been VERY dusty.

Tracey

Yes I get them at Tractor Supply and they were small. Probably 1/4" by producers pride. I asked the store manager if they changed distributors for the pellets and he said yes. They are thick like a pencil

and very dusty. I live in Pa and drove up into NY state to a different feed store bought a bag and they were the same size and different manufacturer. I sure wish they would go back to the other ones. They were the same size as the strategy just a darker green. They either leave it in the feed bins or take their nose and throw it all over the floor. All 5 mini's are doing this. I just worry about them getting all their nutrients

Thanks everyone for you input!

Latest posts

Back