Aggression in newly neutered dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I took two of my Japanese Chins to the vet on Valentines Day and had them neutered. The older male has really calmed down and even when he gets out he does not take off and run the neighborhood. However, his son that has never bred has gotten an attitude. He will all of a sudden jump on my breeding male (has not bred yet) and rips him a new one. I stop this as soon as it happens. I don't want anyone to get hurt. The way I have been curbing the behavior is I have a big crate under my dining table and who ever was bad gets a time out. He is usually only in there about 5 minutes. It just has to be long enough to redirect. I guess what my question would be is; is this normal. I have not had neutered male dogs before. I have had neutered cats and not had this.

I think I would bring him in to the vet to make sure there is not something health related going on. I have found that usually when my dogs or cats have a sudden personality change, it is due to being in pain/not feeling well. Since he was recently neutered, that would definitely be my best guess.

One of the side effects of neutering, that vets do not usually tell you is that a dog may get more aggressive. This is usually a fear type aggresion and can express itself in dominance humping. The hormone has gone from the boys and they may need to re-arrange who is boss, this will probably ease up in a while. Sometimes though, it does not get better and it may be better then to rehome one, as you would not want them fighting constantly.

One of the side effects of neutering, that vets do not usually tell you is that a dog may get more aggressive. This is usually a fear type aggresion and can express itself in dominance humping. The hormone has gone from the boys and they may need to re-arrange who is boss, this will probably ease up in a while. Sometimes though, it does not get better and it may be better then to rehome one, as you would not want them fighting constantly.
The humping that is going on is my male that is not neutered. Since the other 2 were neutered he is humping them all. Maybe they are all just getting fed up with him. For the most part Scamp and Monkey get along great. They are like 2 pre-teen boys that look to each other to get in trouble. What one doesn't think of the other one does. I really hope this aggression

I took two of my Japanese Chins to the vet on Valentines Day and had them neutered. The older male has really calmed down and even when he gets out he does not take off and run the neighborhood. However, his son that has never bred has gotten an attitude. He will all of a sudden jump on my breeding male (has not bred yet) and rips him a new one. I stop this as soon as it happens. I don't want anyone to get hurt. The way I have been curbing the behavior is I have a big crate under my dining table and who ever was bad gets a time out. He is usually only in there about 5 minutes. It just has to be long enough to redirect. I guess what my question would be is; is this normal. I have not had neutered male dogs before. I have had neutered cats and not had this.

I maybe missing something here. How many males do you actually have? Two we know are neutered. Is there one more whole male or two? Is it a whole male or neutered male, doing the humping? Did the one doing the humping, ever do it before, or is this purely since the two boys came home neutered? Did all the males get along in the past, without every humping or getting into fights? Are there any bitches in the house, in season or not?

Lizzie

I have 3 males. 1 is intact. They have all been togeather for about 8 months. They did not fight until the 2 were neutered. The problem seems to be between Monkey (intact male) and Scamp (neutered in feb. ). I have 3 girls (2- 4 year olds and 1-4 month old). They are not in season at this time. The boys and my LGD (spayed female) sleep with me. They run the yard and pens togeather. It is just once and a while scamp (1 1/2 year old. Newly neutered) just gets mad.

So glad to hear that. There are many well documented cases of males neutered/gelded, who become aggressive, after the fact.

I don't know why that is, but looked into it years ago, when I gelded a stallion. Before that, he was a perfect gentleman in the show ring and even around mares in season, out on the trail. He was just horrid after gelding. Not friendly as before and generally grumpy. At a TWH show, I met an elderly lady who told me she had seen it many times. I was actually speaking to her about buying her then older stallion. When I asked her if she'd mind if I gelded him, she said an absolute no. Since he was dead quiet in every respect, she said I should keep him as a stallion. She'd seen too many change after gelding. I did not purchase her horse at the time, but the stallion I did eventually purchase and geld, turned out just as she had said and he was a different breed.

I must say, I have had a lot of neutered dogs and never had the problem, but it is something to consider with your dog maybe.

Lizzie

These are my first male dogs that I have ever neutered. I have spayed females and never had a problem. I did neuter a cat years ago that as soon as he was neutered he started fighting. The vet gave me female harmones for him. That poor cat didn't know which end was up. I am hoping that Scamp will just "get over it".

I have spayed females and never had a problem.
We have two spayed female dogs and they can be absolutely awful. But, we did get the second when the first was already here a couple years; both are about the same age (the second is a bit of a rescue, we rehomed her for a friend).

I want to make it very clear here, that I am definitely not against spaying/neutering/gelding. Millions of animals each year, are 'fixed' without any problems at all. There is absolutely no good reason, to keep whole, animals which are not of breeding quality. There is no good reason, for people to breed crossbreds and/or have oops litters or animals.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back