Age of colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
:saludando: Somebody refresh my memory..how old does a colt have to be to be breeding??

AMHA registry..thank you :saludando:

AMHA doesn't have any age restrictions.
default_smile.png

I always heard the colt had to be at least 2 years old for AMHA to register the offspring. I could be wrong and rules could hae changed since I've been breeding.

Joyce L

For AMHR the stallion must be in his 2 year old year to be used for breeding, with the resulting foal being born in the stallion's 3 year old year. Foal can be born after January 1st of the year the sire turns 3--it can be before the sire's actual 3rd birthday, but the foals cannot be registered until after the stallion is made permanent. I think that's still the way it is--there was some clarification of wording in a recent Journal, but I think it was just the wording that was amended, the rule itself wasn't changed to allow registration of foals before the sire is made permanent.

I've always heard AMHA has no age restrictions on breeding.

Very interesting!! I wonder why it is a different rule with AMHR?? Does ANYONE have any idea why it would be considered a disaster for a foal to be born to a yearling colt?? I`m not advocating it or anything, just wondering if there is a good reason ie: is there any physicall reason why it would be bad for the colt????

i want to know the same as colagirl??????? if anyone read my last post( which has now been taken off the forum). they will understand my particular interest in this subject.

what is the exact reason it is soooo bad to breed from a yearling colt.? is it going to disable him or something??

i can understand totally about breeding from immature mares, thats obvious..... but a colt??? why???

if the offspring cant be registered some fabulouos foals with great breeding could be going under the radar ( so to speak)........or worse!!!!!

look, we know in an ideal world, and all that........ but if it happens, should the new foals be penalized????

i suppose they'd be classed as sort of illagitimate.

perhaps we could have a new showing class.... CLASS FOR ILLIGITAMATE SONS OF "WHOEVER".

just an idea!!!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

It's too bad you didn't read that other thread before it was removed--I did answer your question there, as did Lisa-RuffnTuff

i looked first thing this morning, but it had gone!!!

shame really,there was a good debate going on,

any way....thanks to little steppers, the question is brought up again..........could be a hot topic!!!!!

i will watch with interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's too bad you didn't read that other thread before it was removed--I did answer your question there, as did Lisa-RuffnTuff
Minimor......I found your post and am reposting here for Irishmini. Yes, I agree....too bad threads like that have to go. But the problem is now solved and gone.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

just to clarify about the registry thing--it all depends which registry one deals with if a foal sired by a yearling can be registered or not. AMHA I believe has no rules regarding age, not for fillies or colts. AMHR on the other hand does not allow a foal to be registered if either of the parents were only a yearling at time of breeding. Ireland has its own registry does it not? So, you would need to find out if there are any age restrictions for breeding.

Time will tell if your colt got the job done. It's common for yearling colts to go through the motions if they get the chance, but many of those breedings do not result in conception. Of course about the time you figure that it won't happen because the colt is too young...that is when the mare will turn out to be in foal.

As for why it is a bad thing to breed with a yearling colt--the only real problem I see with it is it is bad for the colt's manners. The yearling that gets to breed a mare often hasn't had a lot of handling/mannering up to that point, and once he breeds he thinks he is really hot stuff, and manners (especially manners when the colt is out around other horses, say at a show) take second place to hormones. Of course you can overcome the lack of manners but it takes a little more effort than if the colt learns his manners well before he breeds.

There should be no additional problems with any pregnancy because the sire was only a yearling at time of conception. Now if it was a yearling filly that accidently got bred (by a yearling or otherwise) that would be a different matter. While there are cases where 2 year old fillies have delivered foals with no problems, if I had a yearling filly get bred, as long as I realized it early enough then I would have the pregnancy terminated.

As far as your question if your mares will have to be separated from the colt if they come into season again, I would say yes, because certainly he will be breeding them again next time around. Obviously if you have decided that you're okay with them being bred this year and you don't care if your yearling continues to breed them through each heat cycle, then you will leave him out with them. That is your choice.

ok... great.

this has answered all my questions .

thankyou

i will of course keep you posted about what happens.

i understand about the manners thing!!.... my colt is very well handled and is brought away from the mares most days for a groom and a bit of time for me and him together( the mares are bossy and want all the attention).

so far he is very mannerly...... but it's like all men!!!!!!!!... i'll say no more....

and i'm sure in the future i'll be asking questions about how to get him under control!! :lol:

Thank you Carol! I had a PM (from someone not on this thread)--he said he had read my post & thought it an excellent one, and he hoped I would repost it here for irishminis. I simply hadn't the time this morning when I made the shorter post on this thread; I was about to do it now, but it's much easier to have you resurrect the original post than to retype it!

Latest posts

Back