"Ag-doors" or "strip-doors" anyone have one or make one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
The end of our barn has a garage type door that I'd like to leave open so horses can come in and out on their own, but I want the barn to stay warm and dry inside. There are several websites that sell this sort of thing as a complete kit but for the size I want the kit is around $350 which IMO is way overpriced. Has anyone made their own and if so where did you buy the appropriate materials. I want to be able to attach it in such a way that it doesn't damage the door frame either. If you don't know what I am talking about, you can check out the website I was just looking at

Ag-Flex Door by Centaur Fencing

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? - maybe something different you've done to solve the same problem? I don't want to use rugs or colored tarp. I want to use clear vinyl or plastic so the light can still come in and also so the horses can see when they are coming and going.

I have wanted those for a long time but like you didnt want to spend that much money. I did for my minis (although I had to replace it every year) put up the hmm I think they are called PVC panels the corrugated type clear ones on the top half of the barn. They come in I think it was 12 ft lengths and are about maybe 3 ft wide. I did leave the bottom half alone so they could come and go and get airflow but I tell you even having the top half covered made a HUGE difference. They are only about 12 bucks a peice I used 3. In fact they broke in the bad wind and I need to get more up. I just screwed them into the inside of the frame on the end of the barn so I could always just fill those holes if need be.

My barn has these running along the side for lighting as well so my barn is always pretty bright

Last edited:
A friend of mine done just that on the bottom of her run in area of the the big ole timber barn, she used old carpet and works great. They do get the hang of going in and out. Hand the carpet from 1"x2" or 2"x2" depending on the span you are going. It certainly blocks a lot of the nasty winds out. Hope you get something to work for you at a reasonable cost.

This is what we have.

We took heavy duty plastic and put it between two boards. Then attached the boards to the top of the door. We have them on all the doors, one of which is a smaller garage door. They work wonderful.

This is what we did and they did not tear up.

We bought the clear chair mats. The ones they sell in the computer section of stores, they go on the floor to protect it.

Buy the cheaps ones,,,,,they cut easier. Are 36" wide, so we just needed one per door and we cut 4 inch strips, cut within 4 inches of the top, and took a 1x2 board and nailed it to the top section.

The cost per mat was $14.00 :aktion033:

Clear vinyl carpet runners will work. If you want them "looser, just cut them up the middle long ways and hang them, you will get the same effect.

For those of you that have done this is yours hanging low enough for the horse to chew on? The way the horses chew on the board fence I can see them chewing this plastic/vinyl & swallowing some of it. :eek:

Try this company they were reccomended to me by other dog people who use these on their dog barns and kennels.

http://www.farmtek.com

they have a bargain area as well.

The end of our barn has a garage type door that I'd like to leave open so horses can come in and out on their own, but I want the barn to stay warm and dry inside. There are several websites that sell this sort of thing as a complete kit but for the size I want the kit is around $350 which IMO is way overpriced. Has anyone made their own and if so where did you buy the appropriate materials. I want to be able to attach it in such a way that it doesn't damage the door frame either. If you don't know what I am talking about, you can check out the website I was just looking at

Ag-Flex Door by Centaur Fencing

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? - maybe something different you've done to solve the same problem? I don't want to use rugs or colored tarp. I want to use clear vinyl or plastic so the light can still come in and also so the horses can see when they are coming and going.

Just wanted to add my experience with the carpet runners. I tried it and they didn't work. We have a STIFF west wind in Michigan and they weren't heavy enough to stop the wind at all.

I'm going to try the chair mat idea this weekend. Frankie, where did you buy them at?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I used the floor mats for chairs. You can get some really thick/strong one and mine have held up. Mine do hang down and have yet to have a horse chew or pull on them. But, now that I said that it will most likely happen tomorrow. :lol:

Oh, wanted to add, at the bottom where we have cut the strips up,,,,,,,we round the edges off.

Last edited by a moderator:
My barn was originally built for full sized horses. All the stalls have 4 x 8 foot dutch doors opening in to paddocks. I close the top half of the dutch door and the minis easily walk under it. I then nailed plywood over half(from side to side) of the lower section which leaves a 2 foot wide by 4 tall opening. I cut 6 inch wide by 4 foot long strips of plastic runner,heavey plastic or oil cloth and screw to the board over the opening. I screw one strip on each end of the board and a couple in the middle to start with for new horses. After they are comfortable with that I screw on more to over lap the first ones making a complete drape over the opening. Using screws allows me to replace then easily as needed. I finish with a 2x6 nailed on edge, cut to fit the bottom of the opening. This helps to stop the wind from blowing the strips and keeps out most of the snow. I leave them up all year as it stops the flies in summer too. I have never had a mini that chewed or yanked them down or refused to go through them. I really like the oil cloth because it has a fabric type backing which I sprayed with fly spray and had very few flies in the barn this year.

We have used the strips from a car wash, you know the ones that the car drives through. We got them from one that was being tore down. They are perfect. and FREE

Latest posts

Back