Making my Craft Room a reality!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
We are finally almost moved from Georgia to Virginia….about 85%. Still have some things in Georgia to move but all my craft stuff is here in Virginia!

I have never had my own space to sew or bead or crochet. Stuff has always been here, there, and everywhere…in any nook or cranny that I could find. Now I have my own room. It is big to me. Not sure of the size but a large bedroom size, guessing 12 feet by 16 feet. I have some shelves on two walls and my computer desk is set up. Other than that it is a blank slate.

We pulled the carpeting up the other day and now I have soon to be covered floors. Thinking of a vinyl wood flooring and then putting a rug (or two) where I want them. Thinking it would stay cleaner with vinyl and the pins won't get lost in the carpeting.

I have nice tables made for my sewing machines and hope to put them in the center of the room to work off of in addition to sew off and have to have a space to weave and bead. I need storage for yarn and material and beads plus a workstation to hold all my tools and thread and interfacing, etc.

Would like you help in my plans? Do you have any ideas to share or photos? Would be greatly appreciated. I am getting excited. Will probably not get done until after the first of the year but I am so wanting to make things…that may happen sooner than the room getting totally finished.

Lois

We need photos too!

So you moved it VA. What area?

My Art room is a hodge podge of stuff. Not as organized as I would like.

When I did Bead Art, I used plastic fishing boxes for lures, with little chambers, to put the beads in, worked really well.

There are tons of ideas here....
https://www.google.com/search?q=Organizing+a+sewing+room&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8kCmUp-sH9D9oAS91ILQAg&ved=0CC4QsAQ

http://www.goinghometoroost.com/2010/indie-biz/10-ways-to-keep-your-creative-spaces-inspiring/

Last edited by a moderator:
It is coming along. I am having such a hard time fitting everything in the room. I have the basic layout down but may still change things up.

I don't have room for my three looms so the big rug loom is going to have to go. I hope to take photos of it then dismantle it as I just don't have room to even store it set up like it is. It is an old Union rug loom. I will keep my other two looms. I mostly weave scarves and dishtowels.

I so far have used the shelves that were in the room and a metal lawyer's library (although part of it is used for shipping material and printer paper/office supplies. I did fit one section with crochet thread.

I have two sets of rolling shelves that I put my auction items on and want to get two more sets for my crochet yarn. We bought pegboard the other day for hanging my tools. Hoping to get the pegboard painted this week. I am planning a drop down quilted planning board. Maybe the room would have looked nicer with cupboards, but I am trying to use what I already have and that is mostly tables and shelving.

We are in the process of moving to Pittsville VA. It is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtsn., 45 minutes from Danville, 50 minutes from Lynchburg, and about 60 minutes from Roanoke.

Thanks Shari for the links…so many ideas. I do have a large wicker hamper that I might doll up as it does not fit anywhere else in our home…and love the idea of a table that folds down. I have a serger that I don't' have a table for and a narrow table like that would work great. Will have to see if I can find one. I wonder if they make one with storage shelves underneath? Would be a great place to put my serger thread…one of many things I haven't yet unpacked.

The sturdy cardboard display boxes for seasonal candy with the taller back and shorter front - Walmart gave some empty ones to me for free - I use them for my folders and binders of craft and painting information and painting paper tablets. Might be useful for serger thread?

How wonderful to have craft room that is just for that only!

That is a nice area of VA to be, so I have been told. Specially if you love crafts/weaving/spinning/Art.

Though I was hoping you would be closer to where I live, would be nice to have another crafts person around. ;)

Charley, what a great idea using the flannel backed tablecloth hanging to use for a designing board for your quilts. Keep your ideas for your room coming.

Great idea for the flannel backed table clothe, I have old ones that are just taking up space, now they will have a new purpose. Now all I need is a room of my own. No chance of moving anytime soon so I just set up where and when I can.

Latest posts

Back