After reading Marty's post, I have to share a story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
First of all, I need to say that Marty, you are now and always will be in my thoughts.. You should have never lost you beloved Michael so needlessly.. And I debated on telling what happened the other day, but I can't sleep(To worried about what life continues to throw at us.
default_no.gif
) And it is on my mind. Some quick background on us. We are not drinkers. I may have two to three a year(when really stressed) but this is done in the privacy of my home. My husband has only had one beer in the 17 yrs that I have known him. We both have history's with alcoholics.. And we don't judge people who do-- that is everyones choice.. Our son's best friend comes from a very bad family life. I call him my third child as he is over our house all the time since kindergarden and now Jamie is in 6th grade. His dad is currently in jail again (to many to list) for DUI.. Mom is about the same just doesn't get caught as much. They are seperated. So Denny's family life is mostly with us. We eat dinner everyday together(permitting husbands work sched.) And Denny says Jamie doesn't know how lukcy he has it. Yes we are broker that dirt, seems to be a habbit lately :DOH! Due to hubby's job, but we make due and make sure our children come first. Denny's best clothes are the ones my son has outgrown..And he does share stories with Jamie that are just sad.

But on to the story. I have always tried to go to every school function. Well I was over school for something with my daughter, Faith. Bless her soul. She is going to be more like me, and just say what ever is on her mind. And mind you, we are from PA, and somehow she has this southern acscent.. Well it was the end of the day so she wanted to ride home with her "momma". I have been driving my husbands 1979 Bronco, because fuel prices being so high, it wouldn't pay for him to drive it every day, so he takes the my car. Well the Bronco is kinda illega
default_rolleyes.gif
l-- not inspected. It would pass, we think, just don't have the funds right now. Any ways, so we start walking out to the parking lot. Then I remember i don't have her car seat, it is in the car..So I tell her, that she will have to sit in the back and buckle up, good. As we are walking to the Bronco- mind you everything my husband has, has a lift kit on it and big tires, so we stick out like a sore thumb.. :DOH! And low and behold, right accross the street from the school the town cop is sitting at the church parking lot. My first thought(out loud..) Oh *# it, there is a cop. My sweet little angel, Faith comes off with, "But momma, I don't want to go to jail." I said we won't go to jail honey, if he sees we aren't inspected, the most mommy will get a ticket.. Then she says, "well we don't have my seat". I said I know, but daddy's truck is high enough the cop shouldn't see you back there. As I was lifting her into the truck, with the most serious voice my 6 yr had, she came off with, "But momma, we are going to go to jail, I just know it.. And started to cry. For the life of me, I had no idea what she meant. So I asked her, why are we going to jail? She looked over at the center section of the seat. She said" Look momma, you have been drinking, and the cop will know and put us into jail." I looked over to see what she meant, and she seen my coffee mug. I told her, Faith, mommy only drank coffee on my way to school.. She said "so, you and daddy say that no one is to drink and drive." I just looked at her and was amazed that what we have been saying sunk in. I said we won't go to jail, that mommy's can drinck coffee while you drive, just not alcohol. But I lost her on that, as she didn't know what "balcohol" was. So we pulled out of the school parking lot and the cop just stayed put, she says from the back seat, "Whew, I am so glad we didn't go to jail, that really would have put daddy in a bad mood"...
default_wub.png
Out of the mouth of babes..

But I just wanted to share that even though you might not think it, those little ears hear, and that little mind absorbs more than we think. Now if a 6 yr old knows it is wrong to drink and drive, why do so many adults and others still do it daily.. They have heard it before, I am sure..

I just had to share, because that day with Faith in the parking will always be in my mind.. And I pray that those same thoughts stay in hers..

Merry Christmas everyone, and Please Don't Drink and Drive!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing! Sounds like you have quite a little girl there. Children are so intelligent and their little minds are like dry sponges. They soak up everything!
default_yes.gif

God bless,

Joan

Your little girl sounds darling!
default_biggrin.png

And you are so right .They pick up on everything.The earlier you start talking to kids about drugs and drinking ,ect. the better.

Oh, what a sweet little girl you have
default_wub.png
It brought back memories of when our son was about 3 or 4 (he's now 25). I had him in the car with me most likely on a grocery shopping trip. Had my full cup of coffee with me, took a swig, and in that cute little boy voice (very seriously) he said... "mommy...you dink, you dive, you die". Of course 20 plus years ago there was a huge ad campaign of "you drink, you drive, you die". So hard to explain it all to those little ones, but yes indeed, they absorb a WHOLE lot more than any of us could imagine
default_smile.png
And let's hope and
default_pray.gif
it sticks with them

Latest posts

Back