Advise reguarding boarding.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
Hey All,

For the first time EVER in my life, I will be boarding my horses, and I need advise on how to approach it. We are moving next week Tuesday, and it will be a caotic time, which those of you who have moved at any time in your life know all to well. Originally we were going to put up temporary shelter and fence, but I was lucky to find boarding not even 10 minutes from where we will be moving. This facility was recommended by someone in the area we are moving to, though I have not yet seen this place. Hubby will be going to visit today when he brings a load of our stuff out to storage (we're 3 1/2 hours away).

We will only be boarding for roughly 6 weeks, until we can get at least the shell of our barn up, and the fence. If we board, this way there is no need to deal with a temporary set up, and we can get right to the real deal without working around the minis as well. I'm excited, yet nervous, since I've never had to put this type of trust in another person when it comes to my babies! When I talked to the owner, I made sure to ask what she requested, how they care for their horses (feeding routine etc), what she expected from me, what the monthly cost was ($100 per mini), and if I am free to come and go as I please to the barn. The good thing is they are so close, and I can run and give them any special feed that I give them daily myself. I thought this was cheap since they do all the work, and supply the feed.

I'm still nervous about this, and want to know if I asked the right questions, is there something else I should cover? And what is the best way to approach this for my minis, meaning how best can I prepare them since they are going from rough board to being stalled? I will be going daily to turn them out to run around and such in the indoor, but this will be a big change for them! I opted to not use the boarding facilities grain, and use ours, which will help. I do believe in probiotics, so will be giving those with their feed also. They are UTD on their worming and vaccinations as well.

Anything else????

Just a few things I think of now... I boarded my big horses for years and moved some around a LOT, so I did a lot of moving to new boarding barns. Expect that the horses will pick up on the tension involved in the move. I would suggest that you stay with them for several hours when you install them in their new quarters. Moving your horses to a new home should not be as traumatic for them as when you got them and they had to adjuct to new people, a new schedule AND a new home. That was my experience anyway. For example, when I bought my horses I would never ride a new one for at least a couple of days, but I would often ride right after moving to a new home. Sort of like going to a show.

Try to get to know some of the boarders and see if you can swap favors, or at least have extra eyes to watch your minis. Put signs up on their stalls with your contact info (of course) and anything you want people to do or not do to your minis. For example "NO TREATS". Those white erasable boards are very handy too. Maybe someone there would like to accompany you taking your minis for walks? Or hand grazing them???

Good luck.

if they're going to be stalled, make sure there are plenty of water buckets available.

i don't know about anybody else but i have had horses refuse to drink strange water. tuffy went from city water to water coming from a sandpoint underground and it took him a couple of days before he got used to it. i don't know if there's something you could flavor your water with for the next few days and then add that to the water at the new place, gradually tapering off once they are used to it. it might not even be a problem for your horses but it's something to think about.

now...have you ordered your mealworms???
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

I boarded all my horses for 30 years, until just 11 weeks ago.

While I didn't move them around from facility to facilty much over

the years I did 'watch' carefully, several times daily, what was happening with them.

You know your kids and will be able to tell if one is stressing more than another.

If you are moving far enough out of the area that they will have a

different water source I'd start by putting a drip of apple cider vinegar

in their waters and continue that till they get used to the new water.

Probios, before a move, is a good insurance also.

I weighed and prepared my food for my horses so all the owner had to do

was put it in their stalls..... I got those small waste baskets for the hay, cups

for the grains, etc. When I left the barn there was always one meal prepared ahead.

I, also, had a list that showed what weight of each food each animal got.....in case

something happened and I couldn't get to the barn, say in a snowstorm. That

never happened but I felt if the instructions were there I'd done my best. I also

told them if they felt they didn't want to do all the weighing and measuring that

for short spurts if they had hay and plenty of water they'd be fine....

The one thing MaryAnn (MiniV) told us, with our big move here, was if we could move

them all together as a family unit, they'd probably travel and accept the move better.

We have only 5, which included a due to foal mare, and we moved them all in a huge gooseneck

together and it was so much easier than I'd had it built up in my mind. They came off the trailer

could see where each other was, dropped their heads, began to eat and have been happy as

clams ever since.

You're in good shape I think.....you're close at hand at 10 minutes away, so with pop in visits

no one will think you're an unconcerned horse owner and you'll be able to see for youself

what is happening and how they are adjusting. I think for the short term they'll be OK with

turn out, to an arena for exercise, till you get your placed readied for them.

My best wishes to you on the move.....I know so well what you're going thru and after nearly

3 months I wonder some days if we'll ever get unpacked, totally, as all the everyday stuff still

has to be done as well as the unpacking..... My biggest frustration is going to fix something and

reaching into the cupboard and saying, dang, that hasn't gone unpacked yet.... It all comes

with time........Take care!!

We boarded for two months when we moved.

Mingus was still a stallion at the time, and that was my biggest issue. After this experience, I feel that a boarding facility is inherently a bad situation for a stallion. Being in a stall while mares in heat parade back and forth is frustrating for him, and I've heard of too many people who think that minis are great for teasing a mare into heat.

I would leave absolutely nothing to anyone else's discretion. Pre-measure any hay and feed, since even if you specify an amount, others may guesstimate.

I second the "no treats" sign. You need to be vigilant about what other boarders do. I know of one situation where the other boarders thought that a mini owner's feeding program was wrong and on their own added more. I've read on this forum of boarding stable managers giving extra feed and hay despite what the owner (in this case, a young person) wanted fed. Leave nothing up to choice.

Also, even though it should go without saying, make it clear that no one is ever to bring your horses out to show how cute they are or for whatever reason.

I had an owner of a dressage horse owner state that I would, of course, not want to seek the best medical care for "just a mini." Again, this should go without saying, but beware of such attitudes just in case something occurs while you're not there. Make certain they call your vet, or interview the vet they use and make certain they are familiar with minis.

I hate to sound overcautious, but paranoia has always served me well!

Last edited by a moderator:
from city water to water coming from a sandpoint underground and it took him a couple of days before he got used to it.

now...have you ordered your mealworms???
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
Thanks for pointing that out Charlene! We have sandpoint here, but we are going to country well water there. I'm going to moniter the situation closely!

default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
: That's a no on the mealworms just yet.............I'm afraid I'd forget them in a box somewhere, and find them weeks later when the stench became unbearable!!!! :smileypuke:

I'd start by putting a drip of apple cider vinegar

in their waters and continue that till they get used to the new water.

My best wishes to you on the move.....I know so well what you're going thru and after nearly

3 months I wonder some days if we'll ever get unpacked, totally, as all the everyday stuff still

has to be done as well as the unpacking..... My biggest frustration is going to fix something and

reaching into the cupboard and saying, dang, that hasn't gone unpacked yet.... It all comes

with time........Take care!!
Thanks Equuisize! I do use ACV here in their feed, so this was a great tip to point out, thank you!

I'm so ready for this packing game to be over! My customers have been waiting so patiently to order cria coats from me, and I have invoiced orders waiting, so when we get to the new home we've got to get set up and get sewing! I'm afraid we will probably end up living out of boxes like you too!

I had an owner of a dressage horse state that I would, of course, not want to seek the best medical care for "just a mini." Again, this should go without saying, but beware of such attitudes just in case something occurs while you're not there. Make certain they call your vet, or interview the vet they use and make certain they are familiar with minis.

I hate to sound overcautious, but paranoia has always served me well!
Thank you Susanne! I don't see that as being overly cautious at all, and in fact, I try to think ahead of time about everything that could possibly happen in situations like this. Hubby calls me a Nervous Nelly, but that's ok, I'd rather be prepared!
default_wacko.png
:

You have all given me some great suggestions, so thank you very much for your time to respond. Hubby went to visit this boarding facility tonight. I couldn't go, I had to stay behind and get some more packing done! He said the stalls are very large, the only thing that concerned us both is that half of the stall is concrete. But, she did say she wouldn't be opposed to us laying rubber mats down, and a good portion of the huge stall is dirt floor, so we should be fine. They'll be bedded down anyway. She seems very flexible to work with, which I like. I plan on doing just as some of you had suggested, weighing out all my feed ahead of time, and making sure that each of their meals are ready for them just to put them in their stalls. I'll be going there daily anyway to turn them out for exercise.

Those are great points about the "no treat signs" as well as the signs that no one else is allowed to be in their stalls but the owners of the stable, and myself. The good thing is that this seems to be a very laid back place to board. She only has 2 other boarders, and then myself when we get there next week, so I'm not to worried. I will be watching though..........hubby calls me Old Eagle Eye! LOL!

I'm also very excited that I was told about this place because she does not seem to be the type that looks down upon the miniatures. They actually seemed excited to see them. And also when I asked her about vets, she actually recommened one that she uses because the whole clinic is very familiar with horses. Not knowing the area, I'm not familiar with vets, though I will get to know this particular clinic myself. They also came recommended by another horse person in the area.

Thanks again all! Great suggestions!

i don't have time to read all of the replies you've had so i'll just put this out there in case it hasn't been mentioned...

if you have established yourself with a new vet or you intend to use the vet that services the boarding facility, you should call his/her office and let them know your situation. let them know that they have your permission to treat your horse(s) in the event that you cannot be reached or you aren't near enough to be right there.

when we used to travel occasionally, gary's brother always did the feeding for me. i ALWAYS called my vet to let him know when i was leaving, when i would return, who would be in charge of my horses. i always gave him my permission to do WHATEVER he needed to do should the need arise while i was gone. you just never know.

something else you should do, print out emergency telephone numbers, have the sheet laminated and hung on a stall door. it's much easier for somebody else to gain access to your vet or a trusted friend if they don't have to fumble for phone numbers.

now, about those mealworms...they keep for weeks in your refrigerator.
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

happy moving, can't wait to hear how much you love your new place!

I would suggest that you stay with them for several hours when you install them in their new quarters. Moving your horses to a new home should not be as traumatic for them as when you got them and they had to adjuct to new people, a new schedule AND a new home.

Try to get to know some of the boarders and see if you can swap favors, or at least have extra eyes to watch your minis. Put signs up on their stalls with your contact info (of course) and anything you want people to do or not do to your minis. For example "NO TREATS". Those white erasable boards are very handy too. Maybe someone there would like to accompany you taking your minis for walks? Or hand grazing them???

Good luck.
Targetsmom, I really like your suggestion also about staying with them for a while after moving them in. Being new to this area, and not knowing anyone, I'm looking forward to getting to know some other horse people too!

if you intend to use the vet that services the boarding facility, you should call his/her office and let them know your situation. let them know that they have your permission to treat your horse(s) in the event that you cannot be reached or you aren't near enough to be right there.
Great point Charlene!

Thanks again!
default_yes.gif
:

I've boarded all of my own horses (aunt kept hers at our house before I ever had my own, but tore down fence and run in when she got rid of them, and I havent had the spare money to put up anything nice yet to bring them home)

I think Im probably who susanne was refering to about the feeding issues. Does the boarding facility have mostly big horses, or are the knowledgable about the minis? My problem comes from the fact that my barn owner is my big horse riding instructor/trainer, and she has always looked out for my horses, but didnt realize minis are so much different. She tried to do what she thought was right (she still looks at me as a child, and sometimes thinks Im making mistakes with the minis) There have been two times that shes drastically changed my feeding program. Once when I brought Midas home(which was when I knew little about minis also) and once over this past summer. She has either cut his grain (another that thought minis only need a handful or two of grain) or added grains (such as sweetfeed or a high fat extruded feed because I complained Midas was looking thin, when I didnt know she cut his grain) I talked to her about it again, I pre package all of his supplements in styrofoam condiment cups with lids, when he got alfalfa cubes I would prepackage then in ziplock bags, I took a feed scoop that held his exact ammount of feed (so there was no confusion with what half a scoop really was) and I pre packaged his beetpulp.

The biggest probelm has been our everlasting battle on hay. Even with the big horses, her 2 flakes is atleast 3 generous flakes in my book, so my half a flake is about 1/4 flake to her. I ended up just showing her how big of a flake I wanted him to get. He had literally been wading in hay. He would have eaten all he wanted, and still been to his knees in it
default_wacko.png
She actually listens to me about everything with my feeding program now, because I won our 4h state show, she figures I must have done something right. (Other horses in our class were sons/daughters of actual mini farms, etc.)

I worm Midas myself, because I feel safer doing it that way. Too many people think he weighs around 500 lbs, and he is more around 225-250 (depends on if hes in shape of not)

Make sure if they dont have minis that you post a sign on the stall.

Mine says something alone the lines of...

Midas

Owners first and last name

Owners address

Owners phone number and cell

Emergency contact (My mother)

Feed instructions (in detail)

Please do NOT give me Quest Dewormer

Please do NOT give me Bute

Please do NOT give me treats

Call owner before any medications or shots are administered (His sire had a fatal allergic reaction to a medication he had while being gelding)

Id write a little more, but I have to leave for work in 10mins. If I remember, I'll post more when I get home.

Since you are only going to be boarding for approximately 6 weeks I don't think you have too much you have to think about that you haven't already. The water one is a good one, adequate time out of their stall, since they are not use to being stalled and of course the grain issue and the amount they are fed.Also ensure that they have a number where they can reach you and also leave them the emergency number to your vet.

I would do all feeding, watering, and stall cleaning and turn out and in just to ease my mind during an already chaotic time, but that's me.

I would do all feeding, watering, and stall cleaning and turn out and in just to ease my mind during an already chaotic time, but that's me.
This is what we are doing, and it's working out better for me knowing that the boys are getting what they need. Neither Dave or I are happy boarding though, that's for darn sure. Let's just say...............Spot no longer has a beautiful long forelock!
default_no.gif

Hi Geri!! How's my boy doing??

As to the water, I'd suggest starting them at home with a peppermint hard candy in their water to flavor it. You know, red & white, round, hard as heck.

Then when they go to the new place, continue the peppermint things for a while until they are accustomed. It masks (they say) any difference in the tastes of the two waters. It has worked for me in the past. I've known people who did it when taking horses to shows, so the horses would drink the available water there.

Best of luck with this. I know it's a big adjustment. Hope they'll be home with you lickety split!!
default_saludando.gif
- Karen

I think you mentioned earlier that they would only have use of an indoor run? If so I don't think you have to worry about them getting hurt outside or being around other horses. If this boarding stable came recommended they wouldn't be in business if they didn't look after the horses properly. Concetnrate on your move, that way you will get them home faster, JMHO

I board my mini, and before that boarded big horses - always geldings or a mare. A GOOD boarding facility will take excellent care of horses, handle them properly and I have been overall very satisfied with the level of care. With minis, the biggest problem is secure fencing and overfeeding. As long as they "get" minis, I think you will be in good shape. It is important to find out what they feed, how much they feed, how often, the details about turnout etc. I also try to find out their schedule for the arena and stuff like that - it can be disappointing to find out it is unavailable at a time when you would normally want to use it! Since your horses are moving there together, I bet they will settle in quite quickly.

Oh yeah, I don't let my mini get turned out with fullsize horses. My reasoning is that at a boarding facility they come and go and you really don't know the horses that well. One stray kick...

Well, I've boarded some or all of my minis the whole time I've had them. Stallions included. I've found the most important thing is to have a good working relationship with the person who is running the boarding facility, and another is to make sure they know about horses.

I've had injuries occur at the two facilities I've been at. One, I was informed well after the injury had occured (as in, horse cut herself in the morning, and I was not informed till late that night... much too long for an open wound. It healed well eventually though). One mare coliced, boarding facility owner thought she was aborting, so continued to let her eat. This was bad, I almost lost her. These two incidents occured the same facility, which we are no longer at.

The new place is run by a former big horse trainer, who thinks my minis are just the cutest thing since sliced bread. She has no problems with my stallion, and in fact has informed me I better not think of moving him anywhere! I just wish he'd behave as good for me as he does for her! I have had one major injury at her place... one of my babies got his head stuck in our hay feeder somehow (it has since been fixed, so there will be no recurrance). He ended up with severe muscle pulls (neck and back), which put him into a colic. Not only did she wake me up to let me know, but she stayed with me and him all day till we got things under control. That was not the only time she called early enough to wake me up either... she called when my mare foaled earlier than she should have. Everything was fine, mare had been checked the night before, and did not look imminent. But it just goes to show, having a person who knows what they are doing in charge of a boarding facility is invaluable... and much to be desired. While I do have an ongoing battle with weight at the new facility (as we all know, minis are champion beggars!), she does listen to what I say about their diet... even though I have MUCH less experience with horses than she does. She likes having my horses there... they eat less, poo less, and don't damage her facility like the other boarder does (he's a big appy, and tends to be very flighty, and she really doesn't like dealing with him for a number of reasons).

I do agree with everyone though, when you can, go out and check on them. No one knows them like you do, and no one will care for them exactly the way you want. That's the most frustrating thing about boarding. I've been boarding for almost 5 years now, and I can't wait to get my own place so I can have everyone at home with me.

Latest posts

Back