Advice for Boarding Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catsie

Reaction score
I am headed over to a local stable to meet with the owners and see if it is a suitable spot to keep a mini. It's a lovely old farm (been in existance/in the same family for over 100 years) and the horses always look very healthy and well-kept. They have a brand new outdoor ring and a new round pen. While chatting with one of the owners on the phone today, she mentioned there is a "very small" pony that recently started boarding there (she said "no more than 9hh" so large Mini/small Shetland sized) -- a potential turnout buddy, since I will not let my mini be pastured with large horses. Thanks for that tip, I learned it here!

I wanted to know what I should ask, what I should look for (good/bad), horror stories, things you wish you had known... I have my fingers crossed that this will fit the bill because it is close enough to home that I can walk to it (!) and right now I can't drive, so that's an enormous benefit! One specific question I have - have any of you worked at the barn to help pay off some/all of your board and if so, how many hours did you work for what benefit? You can PM me if you're not comfortable sharing here. I'm self-employed and have some free time during the week that I wouldn't mind spending outdoors mucking stalls; it's cheaper than a gym membership! ;)

I have worked off board before, cleaned stalls 2-3 days a week about 20 horses in the barn for half my board.

I have never had to board my minis but several times my big horses. Almost all were great. The really bad one was a barn where I had my TB gelding that I had basically rescued, he was 17h and about 200lb underweight, bad feet, bad teeth, great personality. I knew a trainer there worked a lot with rehabbing horses and had talked to her about what to do with this guy. Turns out the other boarders were her devoted followers and if you did something that was not part of her plan, like letting the horse play in the area, they reported on you. Nothing more fun then having a barn full of people spying on your every move. She also brought in a vet do to dental work, ok great means we get to split the farm call. Well found out later, while talking to an other vet, the guy was not licensed in the state and did somethings that can be very dangerous for the horse. The last straw was threatened to call animal services because it was winter and I gave him a bath to get rid of his rain rot. because apparently drying the horse off with several rounds of coolers, blanketing him with a fresh blanket and stalling him in an indoor stall is just not good enough. I should just have let his hair fall out all winter instead.

Now I ask questions about what vets they use, farriers and do they allow outside trainers or is it only their way. I leased a mini out for a while and the lady who had him said the hardest part of boarding him was getting the barn owners to not over feed him!

Here's a few things to look for:

Look at the condition of the other horses. Are they in nice condition? Are they full of bite marks? Are they thin? Do they appear healthy or do you see snots, hear coughing, or see eyes watering?

A door or walls low enough where your horse can see out. You may have to ask and supply your own door but there's no way I would stall a horse in a place where he couldn't see anything but walls.

Adequate fencing meaning more than some hot wire strung up

Making sure he is fed the correct amount of food. Big horse people usually think we are starving minis when they see the small amount of food we give

Making sure he is not turned out with someone who will beat him up

I hope it works out for you! One thing I had to look for was making sure there were mini-height water tubs, hay racks, etc. My barn owner put in a short water tank for Skip since the normal ones were too high for her to reach into. I second having short stall doors if your mini will be stalled. And if they stall horses at night, I like to know how many hours of turnout my horse will be getting every day (a lot of places around here turn out for just a few hours, and poor Skip would be miserable if she wasn't outside all the time). Since Skip is outside 24/7, I made sure that her shelter was adequate for winter storms. She has a shetland-sized run in that is covered on all sides, with a small door opening on the side that faces away from wind, so I know she'll always have good shelter from the wind, rain, and snow. The big horse run-ins just seem too big and open to give her good shelter. My place also has enough turnouts that if needed, horses can be separated if they don't get along (just in case your mini doesn't get along with the small pony there). I also want to know how often hay is fed- feeding a little, very often, is supposed to be better for horses (Skip gets hay 4x a day).

I think it's also important to have a "good feeling" about the barn owner/manager. You want to make sure they are as committed to your horse's care as you are! My BO is very responsible- feeds at regular intervals, is always checking up on horses, very friendly/approachable, takes good care of the facilities, etc. She's just an overall nice person and someone I felt I could trust to take care of Skip. I also really liked the overall environment- everyone is laid-back and very friendly. If you think it might help you make a more informed decision, you may want to ask for references, or see if you can talk to other boarders.

I have seen ads for working off board- I remember seeing one close to Boston that wanted to exchange full board for one horse for Saturday chores for something like 15 horses. It seems like around $10/hour is the going rate for barn help around here. I used to work in exchange for riding lessons, and worked 4 hours for a private lesson (lessons were somewhere between $40-50 so I think it was a fair trade).

So I visited the barn today. The space they want to convert is 42" by 10', currently being used for tack storage. They have used it as a stall for ponies in the past. Am I right in thinking that is simply too narrow? Additionally, since I won't turn a mini out with full-size horses, he would only get 1-2 hours of turnout a day. I could upgrade to a full-size stall (more $$$) but the little one couldn't see out.

Let me know what you think about the dimensions. The barn is LOVELY otherwise, go figure!

Am I reading that right, the width is only a little over 3' wide? If so, then I'd say yes, its too small of a space.

My guys are pretty comfortable in their 6'x8' stalls, while they are usually only in their stalls for meals, they would be comfortable for longer if necessary. I wouldn't go smaller than 6'x8' for a mini stall.

That seems like it would be difficult for him to lay down in comfortably, not to mention being a squeeze turning around.

Yikes... that's really small! I agree- I wouldn't go for that stall. Personally, I wouldn't even keep mine in a full-sized stall with only 1-2 hours of turnout. Might the owners be willing to fence off a smaller paddock for your horse, so he could have a longer turnout time?

I suggested that and it appeared to fall on deaf ears. I also mentioned the possibility of a run-in shed and they just stared at me blankly. I suspect they may have been hoping I would settle for letting the mini be turned out with full-sized horses (not going to happen). Sigh -- not gonna work out. I was pretty sure that stall was too small but I just wanted to confirm with you guys.

The good news is I found an ad on Craigslist for a new small boarding stable. I contacted them and they offered half-price board for a mini, well within my budget, so I am going to call tomorrow and hopefully go visit on Friday to see what they have to offer. It's only 15 minutes from my house -- not as good as walking distance, but at least I can get a ride there a few days a week since it's so close.

My mini stud horse currently gets a 12X12 wood floor stall, but may be being moved to a 9X12 used for hay. (New big horses coming in) I board him at a friend's stable. He does go out with full sized horses - because its that or nothing.

He goes out with 3 geldings, an older arab, a QH, and a 17hh paint who is a former breeding stud. We took special care to introduce them. First over stall doors, then face to face, then on neutral ground in the indoor. I think of my mini first as a horse, second as a stallion, third as a mini. He has the same social needs as the big horses. He has latched onto the 17hh paint and they LOVE each other. Its fantastic, the old, decrepit arab keeps them in line, and my guy and the paint play nice. "Ernie" the paint and "enrique" my mini will be campaigning together (PtHA this spring), and it will reduce stress for both of them at shows, as they will have their BFF there for company!

Unfortunately, enrique can fit through the space between the gate and the post now that he has lost weight (was 150 lbs over weight when i bought him, but htats a story for another day) so he goes out alone in a round pen 6 days a week. We turn him out in the big boy field once a week, so he can still socialize. He doesn't go anywhere because the grass is a novelty, and he misses Ernie. (he was escaping to tease the QH mares...)

I feel very comfortable with the arrangement. I vaccinated him very thoroughly however, due to his small size. (strangles would kill the poor little begger!) My biggest piece o fadvice is don't skimp on spring shots if you're going to board. I did the 5 way, west niles, strangles (nasal), rabies, EEE, etc. Makes me feel a lot better. I also guard him from aggressive horses, extreme dominant horses (we have a WB mare who thinks its cool to charge other horses... They have NEVER met nor is it in the future for them to meet) and make sure the manager knows correct worming doses etc. Don't want to OD him! Also, make sure the farrier they use is mini friendly. I've heard horror stories about dislocated hips!

I'm sure you will find a good place, it's not impossible to board a mini!
default_yes.gif

I vaccinated him very thoroughly however, due to his small size. (strangles would kill the poor little begger!) I'm sure you will find a good place, it's not impossible to board a mini!
default_yes.gif
Unfortunately, I have more experience with strangles than any horse ownder wants, and minis can survive it just fine. I no longer vaccinate for it (last time I did, the only vaccine available was the injectible and we had bad reactions), but in a boarding situation, it makes sense.

My stable owner HATES thin horses and will feed extra for me and lets my older (and hard to keep mare) out to freely roam his property. I know she is safe and his dog will not let her off his property, a wonderful aussy that sleeps with the minis. If the stable owner truly loves horses you will have a good experience.

Just thought of 1 more thing- ask how much the barn charges for "extras," especially if you're not going to be able to make it to the barn every day/twice a day. For example, my mare has been sick twice since she's been at her current place, and both times was getting meds by syringe twice a day (once for 10 days, and now for 30+ days). I'm so lucky that my barn owner is very understanding and cares about the horses, and will give Skip her meds without charging me extra, even though Skip is a total pain to medicate. Some places around here charge quite a bit for these extras, and the cost of boarding a sick horse could add up really quickly! I live an hour away from the barn, and am working full time, and there's just no way I could get to the barn morning and night to take care of her.

Back