Advice for a new driver

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She could have had an "off" day but it's more likely that something bothered her and that's not always easy to find. Some days my mare has some stomach trouble, or it's too hot and she's tired, and she lets me know that the saddle being cinched around her is NOT appreciated (but it's always tolerated). Other times it might be the bridle is off and someplace is pinchy. I've even gotten the saddle a bit too far forward and that made the crupper move up under her tail too much - that one she let me know in no uncertain terms! LOL

My point is my mare is a good driving horse and she tolerates whatever happens but there are days that things aren't just right. That could be this horse's trouble too. So I'd suggest another drive and maybe run you hands over her before tacking up to see if she touchy in some area.

If she acccepts the driving like my mare and you like the horse then I wouldn't worry too much about first impressions.

I find that most often with a horse that is out of condition. I mean, really, it isn`t much fun to leave your buddies, get harnesses up and go to work in the heat at the best of times...but if you haven`t been conditioned and fed for it, well...it certainly takes what fun there might of been in it...out.
default_yes.gif

If she was quiet, responsive etc...sounds to me like she might just be the one to learn with.

On another note, it could be that she just doesn't KNOW YOU...my black mare is like that. She will do anything she is asked to do for whomever I set in that cart...but she doesn't really look like she is having a good time. It is a JOB to her. When I get into the cart and "wake her up" with my voice, she feels MY hand on the reins; she knows it is me back there, and goes into another mode altogether. We are partners.

Latest posts

Back