Adult teeth not erupting...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
I took splash, my 6 yr old (suspected) dwarf down to the vets today to have his teeth floated. Routine.. or so i though..

She standed working with him and instantly found bit of tooth.. closer expection showed a baby cap that had broken that had to sitting where the adult tooth should have been... and he either hasn't got an adult tooth or it simply hasn't erupted, she does want to x-ray his jaw to find out exactly.

Splash is 6 and his mouth isn't perfect as he suffers from wave mouth. We have other problems with him as well that i won't bother to go into but my vet/edt said she had never seen anything like this before... and neither had one of the other vets at the practice...

We always just assumed all the teeth in his mouth were adult teeth... due to his age and no adult teeth trying to come through.. now its thought otherwise... and could there be any more that haven't erupted? Still to look into. He has the most awful eruption bumps under his jaw, got them when he was 2 and they just never went away and vet said some horses don't loose them so was never a worry as never caused any concerns.

But has anyone else come across this before?

You should ask John Eberth on the dwarf board. He's an animal geneticist and specializes in dwarf characteristics.

Latest posts

Back