acorns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peggy - We have two types of oak trees here on our property. One is the Valley Oak (also called White Oak) and the other is Live Oak (also called Coastal Oak). Both types line two sides of my horse field. My horses have NO interest in the Live Oak acorns, which are smaller. These are the oak trees that stay green all year. The Valley Oaks are the ones that drop their leaves and I guess their acorns are tastier!

My next door neighbor has the same two types of oak trees and her horses also have no interest in the Live Oak acorns. Her horses also eat the Valley Oak acorns and have absoutely no problems with them.

When I had all my colics last year, it was only the big horses. Neither mini was affected, which means either they didn't eat the acorns (which I find hard to believe since they'll eat anything) or something else!

Peggy - We have two types of oak trees here on our property. One is the Valley Oak (also called White Oak) and the other is Live Oak (also called Coastal Oak). Both types line two sides of my horse field. My horses have NO interest in the Live Oak acorns, which are smaller. These are the oak trees that stay green all year. The Valley Oaks are the ones that drop their leaves and I guess their acorns are tastier!
My next door neighbor has the same two types of oak trees and her horses also have no interest in the Live Oak acorns. Her horses also eat the Valley Oak acorns and have absoutely no problems with them.

When I had all my colics last year, it was only the big horses. Neither mini was affected, which means either they didn't eat the acorns (which I find hard to believe since they'll eat anything) or something else!
thanks so much for the info Liz. The oak stays green all year so it must be the live oak. This is the one McKee AND Handsome are hoovering up like candy. Go figure...

Susan has the Valley Oak and her horses are OK....so guess I'd better keep going with the fence set up.

thanks again!

Peggy

Solar charger & dry ground........

For either plugged in or solar electric fence chargers you need a good ground. It must be moist soil but not totally "wet". Water the area near the ground rod. Be sure to drive the ground rod at least 6' deep.....probably more moisture than you think down there. Now, if you are in sand, arrid desert, you will still have issues. Sorry. Salt the area, draws moisture. But, mainly, just water it like you would a plant.
default_wink.png
If there is shade, that will help slow/lessen the drying of the soil.

You can even drive two rods a foot or so apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back