Ack, my neighbor is making me NUTS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
My neighbor recently got the pony bug after some 20 years of going without horses. She bought a mini/pony yearling (in March...she was 1 in March) from an Amish dipersal sale and bragged about how she drives already. "Yeah, they were driving all over the parking lot!"....ugh, my blood started to boil.

So they built this fabulous little stable for her. When I went in they placed the water and feed buckets so high she had to cock her head to the side and drink out of the side of her mouth....I said, isn't that too high, and she immediatly said "No. She can reach it". Okie dokey.

Anyway...they never built a paddock. So she's been longing her everyday for exercise. About 40 minutes a day in about a 15 foot circle. I fibnally told her today perhaps she should limit it as her joints needs some time to finsh and she goes, "If that were the case they better stop running in the pasture!" and then she laughed at me and told me "thats just someones opinion, Tracy...you can't believe everything you read! Mini's are TOUGH! They're TOUGH little things and they have no weight on them!" and with that comment I just got madder and said, "No they aren't". Because I'll bet she believes that means she can do anything.....and they'll survive.

Am I wrong?

Not that I'll talk to her about it again...I was so mad at her laughing at me. Her family is known around here because of their horrid treatment and old fashioned approach to horses. They are the type that know everything. And they have known the same things for the last 30 years and have never made any advancments....never read any books. They don't know very much at all.......she talks about how her dad would let the ponies feet curl up :no: ....I'm so sorry for that little filly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm feeling sensitive right now....does that mean i'm wrong?

No, you're not wrong. The Amish started the damage to this filly's joints and mind and it looks like your neighbor will probably finish it. :no:

::sigh::

Leia

Yeesh, some people. You are not wrong at all in my opinion!! There are quite a few people like that around here. Frustrating. Poor little girl. :no:

:no:

I may not have extensive mini experience but from the 3 that I have had I've learned multitudes...because it took me to this board. Where there are experts to learn from. But I have lots of horse experience, and honestly I learn something new everyday. I read constantly and ask questions and learn from people all the time - sometimes I learn what NOT to do...lol....but had I taken just what I knew from when I was a kid growing up with horses, my horses would be in bad shape now. I knew so little back then.

You know what I mean? Things have changed SO much...we don't do anything like I did when i was a kid!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are quite right to be concerned, but it sounds as if you would have better luck trying to talk to a WALL than to this self-styled 'expert'. Very sad, but there's probably nothing you can do.

You have a good heart, which is clearly 'in the right place'....

Margo

Maybe suggest joining the forum or go drop off a couple of books you have read. Never hurts to try another approach, especially for that little filly. Good Luck
default_wub.png
:

Maybe suggest joining the forum or go drop off a couple of books you have read. Never hurts to try another approach, especially for that little filly. Good Luck
default_wub.png
:

If I do that I'd better delete this thread first! lol

That's really sad I wish people had to pass some sort of test before they own a horse. That poor thing is going to have really bad joints from working too hard 40 mins!!!! Even my older perfect condition horses don't run that long on a lounge line at one time!! ~Jessica

Some folks won't listen and don't care to learn. I do try with them, but after you've talked to that wall for awhile, you eventually give up. I truly feel for their horses, but if they don't care to improve and won't listen, eventually you just give up and talk to others who do listen.

Some folks won't listen and don't care to learn. I do try with them, but after you've talked to that wall for awhile, you eventually give up. I truly feel for their horses, but if they don't care to improve and won't listen, eventually you just give up and talk to others who do listen.
You are so right. It's like a brick wall. This neighbor of mine has "issues" with my husbands family that go back years anyway - they were farmers, while DH's family were property owners (and owned a dairy but paid a farmer to operate it) and raised QH's and showed (we inherited the farm that was once leased and farmed, and we live here now). Her family hated my in laws because they had to sell the dairy cows because they were losing money - the farmer was a lousy farm manager and would be briging corn in in April many years. This was 25 years ago and the local farmers STILL talk about what a horrible guy my FIL was for selling out and sending the farmer out to find other work. It's just one of those things that never goes away - like it happened yesterday. And so this neighbor and her family (they live up the road a ways) always heard her parents talking about it and have always made comments about how it's always been easy for this family. She always comments on my "fancy" horses...lol....mine are either off track (rejects) or adopted from a rescue! And we may have inherited the property, but our taxes are worse than anyone else we know and we are normal working people with a serious budget to live on. So I think she's got predisposed issues and will NEVER listen to what I say.

Anyway - I won't get into with her again. It's useless. But I'll keep my eye on that filly.

LOL...no problem...I just needed to be sure. When i get mad about something I get so hyper-sesnsetive it's embarrassing.
default_wacko.png
:

This thread will scroll off in a day or two, I bet........When it does, give her the web addy for the Forum.

Just make it as a friendly gesture about it being a great place for mini owners and breeders to gather and share........

MA

Latest posts

Back