About those teeth...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
How often do you guys do dentals on your minis? I have had mine checked about once a year but haven't had any work done on them per vet saying they were good to go. However, I've switched to an equine dentist for all things horsy mouth and figure she may have a different opinion. She came out yesterday to work on a geldings problem mouth and I plan on having her out in the spring (when it warms up) to check everyone else out. Just curious what others experiences with mini mouths/teeth are.

Once a year with one of my minis and pony. But I do have one with a tooth that is problamatic. It is his last molar on the right top and the vet has been out three times in a year to work on it. She is having a hard time reaching back to get at it so only takes a little off each time. The next stop is the equine dentist to see if she can get back in there better. Your post reminded me that I should be making that appointment!

I have them checked every year, some of mine need work every year, some are good every other year. I'm finally past the stage where most of my herd is getting their permanent teeth, so many of those horses are good for every other year; when they were getting their new teeth, they needed something every year (floating, cap removal, wolf teeth removal, something). I only have one senior mini, and once we found and took care of a slab fractured tooth and a ramp, he's been really good (no idea how he fractured a tooth, but he did).

Bad teeth removed summer 2011.jpg

The dark one is the slab fractured tooth, the light one is the ramp. Both were on the same side way in the back.

I have them checked every year by a certified equine dentist.....need to get him out here again. Thanks for the reminder....though they might have to wait for spring since he also drives a snowplow in the winter months and it looks like he will be very busy this year.

Once a year. I use an equine dentist, although last year I experimented with a vet that was recommended. I think he did a good job but it was a terrible experience for me and horses. Too much sedation and too much blood. I will go back to my equine dentist! The vet did compliment me on my 19 year old gelding, saying his mouth was well cared for.

Every year they usually just have a few points and need light care, maybe some plaque. I like it that way. Easier on all of us.

Once a year. I use an equine dentist, although last year I experimented with a vet that was recommended. I think he did a good job but it was a terrible experience for me and horses. Too much sedation and too much blood. I will go back to my equine dentist! The vet did compliment me on my 19 year old gelding, saying his mouth was well cared for.

Every year they usually just have a few points and need light care, maybe some plaque. I like it that way. Easier on all of us.
I had also been using a Vet that was a qualified dentist. It was also a terrible experience , especially for my two big horses. One is very head shy and I had explained to him that this needed to be done GENTLY and SLOWLY, His answer was more sedation and I think it only made the fear of dentist worse for him. He was rough , cranky and old and quite happy to hear that he had recently retired and moved away.

He didnt start off like this when I first started using him , I really think he just became sour and very much lacked patience prior to his retirement.

He was coming on a yearly basis but due to the bad experience and the fact that I pretty much asked him to leave at the end of 2015 , they were not done this year. I have however found a lovely lady , that does not sedate and is more than willing to spend time to get them to relax, so she is booked for the end of Jan.

I started doing my horse's teeth myself after our dentist passed away and everyone I called out to float them either made them worse or charged an arm and a leg to barely do anything for them.

I started doing my horse's teeth myself after our dentist passed away and everyone I called out to float them either made them worse or charged an arm and a leg to barely do anything for them.
I could never do that, lol. Even though I know that with the speculum in their mouth they can't chomp down, I get the willies when the vet sticks her hand in their mouth. I can't even grab their tongue if I have to. I admire your ability!

I have to give a few of mine a bit of oral dormosedan gel to keep them calm during tbe float, but since I'm not paying myself (lol) I can take all of the time that I need. Hubby cannot handle the noise though, makes him cringe, my father in law assists me with stuff like teeth, difficult to trim horses, in-hand breeding and calving troubles. I find that if I check everybody twice a year, it is much less stressful and a lot less work to just fix sharp edges than to do an overhaul.

AmySue, do you float with hand tools or do a powerfloat? Mine big horses/ponies always seem better with the old fashioned float, the powerfloat seems to make them sore. Has anyone else had that experience? Can you even do a powerfloat on a mini???

I'm with your husband about the noise, it bugs me too. I can stand alot of medical stuff with the horses as I used to be a nurse, but my dental phobia is pretty strong.

I have old school hand tools. I prefer them to power tools. I'm sure in the right, trained hands, they're easier, but I feel safer and more secure with hand tools, the same goes for hoof trims. I think power tools are easier on the handler, but harder on the horse. Doing it myself, I can take my time and always take more off, but with power tools, I fear I could take too much off or severely injure the tongue or cheek.

My goal is once per year. That said, I’m a bad human being because I ended up skipping it this year. I had looked online for an equine dentist; I found one that would have had to come from out of state, and her web site indicated that she would only show up for like 8 horses (we have 3) and it was butt-butt expensive. So I used the vet hospital for an on-farm visit (that was less butt-assedly expensive.)

I guess it went ok, they used power tools and this harness-thing suspended from our barn rafters; it reminded me of a gynecologists speculum, only it kept their mouths open with tongues hanging out; it gave me the eebie-jeebies. I didn’t like their reactions to the sedative; but that’s probably my fault because I tried to roll everything up in one visit, so in addition to the toothy sedative, they all got every horse shot available. Our Baby had a laminitis incident after all those drugs. Since then, I’ve been afraid to do anything all-in-one like that.

Last year, I had a new vet (for us) come out to do some of our horses. They didn't use sedative at all and all 4 of the ponies not only were very, very sore (i ended up rinsing mouths out with warm salt water 2x daily for a week in temps around the 20's as a high) and my old campaigner mares all became very head shy as well. Disappointing for me, as I'd heard their praises sung. As dental work goes, it was pretty in-expensive overall - since I wasn't charged for the drugs. I do admit though, that the work he did made them go much longer before needing to be done this year - but at what cost? It was pretty rough for several months with all 4 of those ponies - bridling took on all kinds of new meanings, LOL.

I've taken several of our ponies back to our old vet (North Star Equine) now that she has an actual vet hospital. From 2004-2006, she was mostly an ER type vet for us and in 2009, she recommended the vet that I started with (Dr E) and in 2013 went to work for (at the Spay Neuter clinic). She now uses power tools and it's GREAT. But it's been weird this year - trying to find the time to take ponies 45 miles one way (longer now since they closed off Ft Bragg to thru traffic and the new hiway go-round is a mixed up mess) when they have appointments and I have the time and so doing that has become a lot tougher.

I've been looking at dental tools myself. Figure if the oral Dermosadan works (got from my old vet as new ones won't sell it to me, yet), then I see no reason why I can't check them and do it myself. Would still need any issues (split teeth - which seems to be somewhat common in today's' shetlands - we've actually had quite a few in the last several years; wolf teeth extraction, any type of an abscess-haven't had) checked out, but I could see doing this using hand tools and maybe even learning to use power tools. Of course, it may become like trimming hooves - I have the equipment on hand when I want it (or need it) - but choose to spend the $$ to have it done by someone currently "up" on the procedures that I have only a basic knowledge of and whom can get it done in a more timely manner than I can. If I had the equipment, then I could do some that I know are a problem to do with the vet - and go from there.

Years ago, when I last checked, Equine Dentists were banned from practicing in NC and only came in from out of state. Due to that, yes, they required a minimum of horses to be done at one time. I don't know if that is still in effect - but have heard of a lot more farms utilizing Equine Dentists, so maybe not??

The gal that did my two horses seemed really great. Especially after reading some of the stories here. She did sedate the horses but started with a low dose and gave a little more if they seemed stressed. The only blood involved was while fixing Comic's lower incisors. She stopped as soon as she saw and worked more on the top to correct rather than grind at the bottom teeth more. Both horses got one gram of Bute after just for residual soreness but they were both eating with no problems right after and haven't shown any signs of soreness or problem in the days following. Now we'll see if Comic can hold his weight better through the winter....

I plan on having the minis checked in the spring then getting everyone on a regular schedule.

Latest posts

Back