??About Pears??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
OK, I was reading one of the threads and someone mentioned that they were told never to let a horse have any pears, but that was all that person knew.

My situation is, we are having our 1st mini come to be a part of the family, hopefully to stay at our house from Christmas Eve on, if we can get a fence up in time (otherwise she will just get to spend Christmas holiday, staying in our childrens play yard, and then go back.) But in our yard, we have a very lively producing pear tree that we enjoy, and an apple tree, which is on the neighbors property but leans into ours and it produces, but not overabundantly. We will cut the pear tree down if need be, but don't want to have to if not necessary, and we would also trim the apple tree, so that only a few at most, of apples fall onto our side. Also, we have a couple Magnolia trees that are just absolutly gorgeous, but I am wondering if it is something we need to be concerned about?

~Karen

I would fence the trees off so that the minis can not enjoy the fruit.

I think that a few slices as a daily treat would be okay. But not an open buffet.

My minis love pears!!! One of my pens has a producing pear tree in it and another has a producing apple tree. The horses will check them out all the time to see if any fruit is either within their reach or has dropped to the ground. I would be concerned if tons of pears or apples had dropped to the ground though. I have raked them up before when that had happened so the horses don't gorge on them. I had never heard before that pears were bad for horses. Mine have never had a problem with them.

When I was growing up we had a hugh pear tree and several apple trees in our pasture and never had any problems with either!! We actually had a couple of beef steers in there and when we butchered them the meat had a apple flavor to it!! I would also rake them up if alot fell at once.
default_yes.gif
:

I think moderation is the key. I have a two and a half acre plot that has a pear tree, and apple tree, and three peach trees in it. None of them produce at the same time. With 8-10 minis in there, when one drops, they race to beat the others to it.

Of course, if you have just one mini, it could be over indulged.

On a side note, our fruit trees have produced the best fruit they have ever had since putting the minis in there. We have not sprayed anything and the fruit has been virtually insect free. They keep the ground clean and it is easier to pick than ever before.

Thanks you all! I'll not stress over the apple tree, the pear tree on the other hand is a great producer and I will need to keep an eye out on it. May have hubby do some major pruning on it soon to help for this coming year. :~) I really appreciate all the advice! Our healer/beagle dog Spot will be joining her if all works out like we think. So she won't be totally alone, but without another horse, and Toby in particular. Just hope and pray that all works out for her. :~)

I will be sure not to use Bute or Quest for worming!! And I even printed off the information you all advised me on about corn and the wormer so that I can pass it on to the people we bought our little-un from.

Well.... back to my CDA studies before turning in a nights rest. Again, thanks so much! (I'll probably be flooding you all with more questions as they come u. Hope you won't mind.)

~Karen

Minis can be little piglets about fruits of all kinds, just like their larger counterparts! Years ago there was a fruit tree in the field and the fruit fermented...can you breathalize a horse? It was so funny, they practically climbed the tree trunk to get to the higher fruit! Drunk birds arguing over the fruit, snippity little squirrels, and I swear the horses were a little more amorous that year...One of the best pictures of the horses was one reaching upwards for some fruit (if truth be know, I think there was some jumping involved)....great picture, had it blown up and framed! Unfortunately lost in a move
default_wacko.png
:

Just don't let them have too much and all will be fine....

Hugs!

Latest posts

Back