A very disturbing story in local newspaper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]it is too bad for those horses that she didn't tell anyone what was happening because maybe those people who are going "to bat" for her now would have went "to bat" for the starving horses and thrown them some hay. lawyers are expensive and they wouldn't have stopped me from calling/writting anyone that would listen. but that is just me. i have been in similar circumstances and when i realized i wasn't going to be able to afford to feed my animals i sold them and the ones that i did not sell i gave to people that i knew could feed them. it was horrible to see them leave, i had goats that may have ended up going to slaughter but i figured i would take that chance because even slaughter was better then them starving to death. this was years ago and it still hurts to think about what i had to do but it was the RIGHT thing and i have never doubted that. again i can only speak for what i would do or did do and i can sleep at night. [/SIZE]

I'm sorry, but I believe this owner needed to take responsibility. I have found myself very poor and unable to find a place for animals I've owned before, but in those situations I have gone without necessities before my animals did just to avoid their needless suffering. IMO, if you cannot sell, give away or move your critters to a better place, the least you can do is find a way to FEED and WATER them in the meantime.

piney, I'm not sure how close you are to this situation (you obviously seem to know a lot of details the authorities fail to mention), but I find it hard to believe this woman couldn't have found help for those poor horses SOMEWAY, SOMEHOW considering her situation.
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly Piney. You do NOT have to say it so Nasty. Wow. None ever said she Was a horrible person.. we all said it was sad.. YES it is sad when ANY horse dies. Liek if they died happily we wouldve been sad. She couldve asked for help. I am not saying shes a bad person i don't know her but I meanher friends couldve given her free grain or hay or just check in on the horses and help them out untill she got out fo this whole. Asking for helpis better than a starving pony Look at the photo. :no: But I agree we read what int hepapers. Youd dint have to be nasty because we were jsut reading an article we didnt write it! If you think its so bad call the newspaper?

Reading this sure makes me glad that if I were in similar circumstances, I have friends that would go to bat for me BEFORE my horses were dead, not after....

This situation makes me sick :smileypuke:

I just posted this because of how sad it is and how close to home it is. I just know how much I love my animals or any animal. No piece of paper would stop me from saving a horses life. So if she couldn't pay for the proper feed and care, how did she pay for the transport to another farm to hide them? And how was she paying for them to get to the auction?? I know I don't know the woman, but maybe I might being that I worked in that area for over 10 yrs . That still doen't make it right what happened to those poor helpless horses. I know that if I couldn't afford mine, they would go to a home that could.. Even if it meant for free just to have a place with food. Any ways, this isn't about her.. It is about innocent horses.. It is just very very sad.

Sorry - but I have no sympathy for any owner would let horses starve/die.

Beg for hay if the horses cannot be moved for legal reasons. Appeal to the humane society. They do NOT let horses starve - and to suggest that any humane society would do so... is ridiculous. Letting horses suffer - no matter what the circumstances - is wrong.

We are supposed to cut this owner some slack when we see photos of frozen dead horses in the snow?

Thank goodness that mini and the one pinto look okay - but maybe pregnant. I do not blame the media here for "unfairly" bringing this to light. Helloooooo??? Horses died. Under her care. It is her responsibilty - SOMEHOW - to keep them fed and safe. Piney - would people not have helped with hay etc. if they were asked in a desperate situation? I bet they would - and hearing yet more excuses does not give me any reason to feel sorry for the owner. No court order prevents one from caring for the animals under their care. No court order would prevent you from feeding them. If the owner was forbidden to touch them - then designate someone else to feed them. If the horses could not be moved - then why were some of them moved anyway? And the officers allegedly lied to about their whereabouts? Yes - it can be hard to keep weight on elderly horses... but when horses were already dead, then is it wrong to be concerned? No.

I am sorry - there are too many excuses... many things in this tale do not make sense - and make one wonder...

The owner can speak up to ask for help, make excuses etc.

Her horses could not. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - but I have no sympathy for any owner would let horses starve/die.

Beg for hay if the horses cannot be moved for legal reasons. Appeal to the humane society. They do NOT let horses starve - and to suggest that any humane society would do so... is ridiculous. Letting horses suffer - no matter what the circumstances - is wrong.

We are supposed to cut this owner some slack when we see photos of frozen dead horses in the snow?

Thank goodness that mini and the one pinto look okay - but maybe pregnant. I do not blame the media here for "unfairly" bringing this to light. Helloooooo??? Horses died. Under her care. It is her responsibilty - SOMEHOW - to keep them fed and safe. Piney - would people not have helped with hay etc. if they were asked in a desperate situation? I bet they would - and hearing yet more excuses does not give me any reason to feel sorry for the owner. No court order prevents one from caring for the animals under their care. No court order would prevent you from feeding them. If the owner was forbidden to touch them - then designate someone else to feed them. If the horses could not be moved - then why were some of them moved anyway? And the officers allegedly lied to about their whereabouts? Yes - it can be hard to keep weight on elderly horses... but when horses were already dead, then is it wrong to be concerned? No.

I am sorry - there are too many excuses... many things in this tale do not make sense - and make one wonder...

The owner can speak up to ask for help, make excuses etc.

Her horses could not. :no:
:aktion033: Very well said.. I am gald I am not the only one that feels that way...

I agree..........

Being in a situation in winter where hay is hard to find is a nightmare, but somehow people come through and locate. And if you have too many to feed? This is where PRIDE needs to be swallowed. What is more important??? Your pride or that the Beings you have standing outside your door are being cared for????

I'm also having a hard time with the timing involved in this. If the authorities had been watching this farm, how did they manage to allow those horses to die and lay there for weeks before stepping in???

The whole thing stinks.

MA

Is the woman hungry/starving to death??

No??

Well, whatever the other facts she was prepared to allow her animals to starve to death and she was prepared to watch it happen.

Whatever the other facts those are the basic facts.

Nothing excuses that sort of behaviour.

Nothing.

Excuse me but until you have heard the whole story on this one please don't judge. I personally do know the whole story and those horses were put into those circumstances by , not the owner, but our own law system. And the humane society was not monitoring those horses for a year but only since Dec 06, because of a circumstance the owner was put into and those horses were healthy at that time.

But what is really sad, the humane society that claims to care for an animal let these horses get into this condition because they didn't have the balls to step up and help them when they were ask.

Now as for the three horses that were found dead, the owner reported several times to police that she thought her horses were being poisoned but do you think they would investigate, no, and that her horses were being taken from the property because she would go out and find her fence cut and some of the horses with different halters on.

And the dead horses were paid to be buried but the person paid neglected to come and do his job.

Again, don't judge until you have heard the whole story, because there is alot more going on here than is being reported.

I agree as there have been alot of these cases lately, no investigation no due proccess just siezure and IF they show photos or video the animals often do not look too bad. The HSUS has been on a mission lately they are siezing animals left an right............and they even demanded the euthanization of 1000 animals in a shelter in Vegas and now the shelter will not work with any breed rescues as HSUS has deemed ALL rescues as hoarders. Currently they are after rabbit breeders big time I have heard of 4-5 siezures of rabbitries in the last 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back