A trailer or Hauler? what about a minivan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
So here lately we have started looking at either purchasing a trailer or a two horse hauler that slides in the back of a truck. I'm curious to know any pros/cons of both. What do you use?

We only have one miniature mare and I am certain we won't get another for at least two years from now. I would love to show her at a local show this summer but my only problem is transportation! What about a minivan or SUV to haul one mini? I remember seeing a picture and a youtube clip of a mini loading into a van for a short trip. Is this safe? Is it legal? lol Thanks for any suggestions!

Lindsey

I personally like just having a trailer, so we can hook and go. If you used your SUV or Van, you'd have to worry about cleaning it right after you used it, but with the trailer...after a long show day(tiring), just drop it behind the barn and wait a few days to clean the poo out
default_rolleyes.gif
Thats my thinking anyway... but if you only have one mini and do a few shows a year...the Van thing would work, I am not too sure its legal, but have seen many people do it. I haven't heard much about the hauler that goes in the back of a truck... but that would probably work just fine as well
default_smile.png
. Or maybe just a cap on the back of the truck... works all the same
default_smile.png

Good luck!

K.

That's true about the cleaning part on the SUV, although I was thinking of getting her a poo bag...I've seen a pic of one here on the board. I guess the benefit of using a van would be that you are actually with your horse the whole time. But then again what if she goes crazy or she's too big.
default_wacko.png
I guess I had better look at a trailer. Any good websites that sell mini trailers?

We hauled a 30.5 2yr old stallion from Wisconsin to Southern Iowa behind the 3rd seat in a suburban.

I do not recommend it!!!!!

We had to put down plywood, trashbags, cloths & straw before we could put him in. My sister and I had to sit in the 3rd seat in front of him in case he jumped. When he "road appled" guess who had to pick it up and throw it out the window going down the interstate at 60 mph. Believe me, after he relieved himself (wet) once, being in a closed in vehicle was not fun and he did it several times.

I don't think it is legal to haul them in a vehicle but just for the safety factor, I wouldn't want to do it again.

If he had leaned on the back doors and the latch had given way, there is no way we could have kept him from falling out the back of the vehicle. If we had been rear-ended, he would have taken the brunt of the crash, not to mention those of us in the 2nd and 3rd seats if he came flying forward.

I would definately get a trailer if it were me. If you are like the majority of the rest of us, one will turn into several before you know it.

Good luck

Kelly

If possible, I would recommend getting a trailer. I was lucky and bought a 5' tall, 5' wide, 8' long bumper pull trailer a few years ago second hand (but in fabulous condition) for only $1,500. I also have a "fancy" (by my standards!) gooseneck mini trailer, but that little bumper pull is safe (2 axles) and hardly weighs anything. It only weighs 1,000 pounds empty and can be pulled by mid sized SUV's if I want. It can hold 4 minis.

You can see pics of it if you want here. I prefer trailers for convenience, and safety, over hauling in the vehicle or in a truck bed.

WFM's Miniature Horse Trailers (link)

A friend of mine bought a World Class registered filly in the states and shipped her in her minivan accross the border. They had no problems crossing into Quebec so guess it must be legal. She had no problems on the trip and used one of those kiddie pools(square one) and put a tarp and straw. Had no problems with any mess. Just unloaded the filly and pulled the kiddie pool out, poop, pee and all.
default_biggrin.png

I haul ours in our old mini van, I have 12 minis and each one hauled that way, hubby puts a very very large dog pen in it, we put rubber mats and a tarp on the floor of it, or we take the gates for the dog pen and put them around the back and in front of windows,We take the seats out and I have a little scoop we clean any poo up with. We have hauled 2 at a time this way and worked great for us, didn't have to stop all the time to check the little ones in our big trailer and we could pet them when in the van and keep an eye on them.

In a pinch, my youngest daughter hauled a weanling, (a very small weanling) from Ky. to Texas in her SUV. They put down rubber stall mats, and a very large tarp for her. When they got home, the horse poo and pee was fairly easy to clean, but the smell lingered on for a long time! I think for everybody's good, they belong in an enclosure where they are safe, and so are the driver and passengers in the car. In a trailer, at least you can more or less secure them by tieing their head.

A friend used a u-haul trailer and cut out windows for ventilation, and had a nice mini hauler for going to the vet, or just local trips. It was used, and fairly cheap to buy and re-do. It was really nifty!

Saber rides in our van.

We have him loading up on youtube at

Its an Astro van ... we have the middle seats removed and a rubber mat on the floor with a blanket tucked into the back seat and trailing down to meet the end of the back of the mat.

For us its no different than having our Great Danes in the van.

Tho we do clip Saber to the hand grip inside the van so he does not bother the driver.

Saber enjoys when we go through drive thrus

as he often gets lettuce or part of an apple fritter or apple dippers or something else tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid I had a shetland pony that we took with us when we moved. We had a VW bus. My dad made a "stall" that slipped between the two seats. He rode in there very nicely. I would not recommend putting any animal against a hatch door with out some kind of protection (fabricated stall). As for the haulers, I do not think I would like them. If I can not stand upright to take care of my horse, What if my horse is throwing a fit? Also with a lower ceiling he could hit his head. I prefer the good old 2 horse bumper pull trailer. I don't think I would even want a mini trailer with the lower ceiling. The reasons for that again. I don't want anyone hitting their heads. My trailer is a 2 horse TB height extra wide trailer. Not because thats what I was looking for. I just got a real good deal on it ($50).

I love the mini van. But then again he is not near a hatch. I did one time (in the 70's) hauled a mini (he was a pinto) in my pinto hatchback. I took the seat out and put shavings down for him. It got him to the vet for his x-rays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking into purchasing a Ford E series cargo van, one where the entire back is open and one that has a cage panel that goes right behind the front seats so nothing from the back end can get to the front (flying hooves or noses!). If I can find an affordable used one, I also plan to build a few stalls back there so it's not just one huge open area for a mini to fly around in. Some wall support is always great! I think about 3 stalls would fit easily with room to spare in the back for storage. I have a trailer now but I tell you it sucks for me because I don't have room to store it so I have to wrap it up with a tarp for winter and it's currently behind a 15' wall of snow from the plow clearing our driveway and pushing the snow right there...i'm stuck without transportation right now! I have room in the garage for a van, but the door isn't tall enough to fit the trailer! Go figure!

I have an Oldsmobile mini van, I love my van, I have a 3 floor coverings for long trips, I have a waterproof felt layer, next layer is commercial grade indoor outdoor carpet(not that green plastic stuff), then a rubber mat on top with shavings over that, I do not have an odor in my van, I use my van for hauling the kids to daycare, to other normal family outings, its not just a Farm van. Its a wonderful thing. I do usually tie to the hand hold just behind the driver seat, but you could also use one of the cages that you can buy at the petstore, just get a heavy duty one. Or you could build a box aka stall that slides in and out of your van for hauling.

This also is dependent on the horse in question's temperment, I know my mare isn't upset by much and she hauls great, but some horses aren't that way.

Karen

Latest posts

Back